Hacking 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Gamma Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

kytran

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i wouldn't recommend using the -RW there is some hardwares still around who can't understand those type of discs. try with a regular -r

bxjoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to thank EmperorofCanada and let him know that his guide worked flawlessly.
I admit to being a bit nervous about making a mistake and bricking my system, but there was no need to fear.

I am now on 3.2U down from 3.3U.
Backup loader worked on first try.
And I really appreciate the inclusion of Starfall, I never have to see that stupid health warning again, that alone made this worth it.

One question, does this guide make it so that I can load a retail game from another region through the disc channel or would I have to use a special loader?

Zonix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Installed everything until
QUOTE said:
+Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel.

since I just wanted to downgrade, get starfall and such so I can play WiiWare and VC games. The installation worked smoothly and I didn't run into any errors.

I got some questions, will I be able to connect to Nintendo Channel and such now?
Also, can I play a USA version of a Wiiware/VC on a PAL console now?
Do I still need Twilight Hack on incase the Wii get's bricked and such?

By the way.. AWESOME TUTORIAL EoC!
biggrin.gif

Zed123

Trophies
XP
Country
Big Moe said:
is it ok to use Wii connect24 and the shop channel after this hack???.... i've done this hack 2 weeks now but haven't dared go online or agree to WiiConect24 agreement

Thanx for the advice biggrin.gif

don't agree to any agreement cause the new one says it loud and clear it will force updates to your Wii , and I'm sure you don't want that to happen cause someone by a mistake can confirm it and here you go again with the whole hacks process , and we here it everyday (oh oh my Wii updated to 3.4 on it's own) ....etc , so no confirmation to any Nintendo agreement is better wink.gif

ThanX Big Moe!!

really appreciate it!
biggrin.gif

And keep up the good work Guys!!

reefer30

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Very nice...

Yep DVD-RW not working.
DVD-R are working. Brand Emtec. Burn speed 4x

thx for tutorial.......

dredd999

Trophies
XP
Country
just wanted to thank you Big Moe, my sister's kids updated the wii to 3.4e managed using your guide etc to get it back down to 3.2e . again many thanks.

david42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the Homebrew Channel installed, but I can't seem to get Custom IOS Downgrader to work. After I load it in the Homebrew channel, it sends me back to the menu after the screen that says press A. I have firmware 3.1U and haven't installed anything other than the homebrew channel, any ideas?

guile_bio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't install CiOS, can someone help?

"I'm really confused with installing this, because my cousin installed the HBC for me, so can someone help me?
My console is 3.2U
I do have Back Up launcher beta and the CiOS installer, its just that I get "encryption" every single time I try installing CiOS.
AND I HAVE NEVER INSTALLED CiOS BEFORE, just saying. "

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
guile_bio said:
I can't install CiOS, can someone help?

"I'm really confused with installing this, because my cousin installed the HBC for me, so can someone help me?
My console is 3.2U
I do have Back Up launcher beta and the CiOS installer, its just that I get "encryption" every single time I try installing CiOS.
AND I HAVE NEVER INSTALLED CiOS BEFORE, just saying. "

be sure you have an internet connection , and if you are installing Wad use the Wad Manager 1.3 other wise just run the Cos installer via HBC
wink.gif

QUOTE(dredd999 @ Dec 15 2008, 11:22 PM) just wanted to thank you Big Moe, my sister's kids updated the wii to 3.4e managed using your guide etc to get it back down to 3.2e . again many thanks.

you welcome buddy , that's what we are here for , EOC , NoobWarrior , DJTaz , and myself are here to help with all what we have of knowledge
wink.gif

wanders

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Couple questions about something I'm currently a little hazy on:
Does cIOS_Downgrader only replace System Menu files and bring the System Menu's IOS to the appropriate version (in 3.2's case, IOS30 to v1040)? Phrased in a different way, does cIOS_Downgrader not touch any of the other IOS's during its process?

Does IOS_Downgrader in turn bring all the applicable IOS's except IOS30 down to... what exactly? The last versions that existed with the trucha bug? If so, does it also serve as an 'upgrader' for even older versions?

These questions may seem a little inane, but I like to know exactly what I'm doing before I do it.
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

wanders said:
Couple questions about something I'm currently a little hazy on:
Does cIOS_Downgrader only replace System Menu files and bring the System Menu's IOS to the appropriate version (in 3.2's case, IOS30 to v1040)? Phrased in a different way, does cIOS_Downgrader not touch any of the other IOS's during its process?

Does IOS_Downgrader in turn bring all the applicable IOS's except IOS30 down to... what exactly? The last versions that existed with the trucha bug? If so, does it also serve as an 'upgrader' for even older versions?

These questions may seem a little inane, but I like to know exactly what I'm doing before I do it.
unsure.gif

cIOS Downgrader replaces IOS30, BC, MIOS and SYSMENU IOS to the selected firmware that you chose.

IOS Downgrader replaces all of your current IOSes to the version that has trucha bug, even IOS30.

And no, it doesn't serve as an upgrader AFAIK

Zonix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I got some questions, will I be able to connect to Nintendo Channel and such now?
Do I still need Twilight Hack on in case the Wii gets bricked and such?

Bump :/

Will I be able to get Internet Channel and surf like nothing ever happened?

EDIT: Added a question.

zerof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zonix said:
QUOTE said:

It's so simple to just go try and see isn't it?
lecture.gif

I skimmed through the tut and yes to all.

Zonix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zerof said:
Zonix said:
QUOTE said:

lecture.gif

So, if I get this right it's safe to go on Nintendo Channel, Mii Contest channel etc, it's safe for me to play USA Wads on a PAL Console and I can safely use the Internet Channel?

D

Deleted User

Zonix said:
zerof said:
Zonix said:
QUOTE said:

lecture.gif

So, if I get this right it's safe to go on Nintendo Channel, Mii Contest channel etc, it's safe for me to play USA Wads on a PAL Console and I can safely use the Internet Channel?

Let me answer all of this:
1) After you followed every single step in EoC's tutorial, you can access all of your channels like nothing happens.

2) You can't play NTSC Wads on PAL Wii, unless you've used Starfall and use the "region free channels" patch. But some WADs might give you the black screen freeze like it did to my "Defend Your Castle" installed WAD... good times...

3)If your Wii is bricked, and you've a softchip, search "auto boot wad manager" here. There should be a working release by jayparadox. I've one and it's working as good as hell
3.1)IF you don't have a modchip, simply have TH in your System Memory, TP, Starfall with the last three options and the corresponding .dol/.elf (never used TH, my Wii came HBC-preinstalled) in the root of your SD Card. Then, boot into Recovery menu with pressing "Y" on GC Pad on the health screen, slide in TP and load TH, and well, remove the bad wad.

Zonix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
afif95 said:
Zonix said:
zerof said:
Zonix said:
QUOTE said:

lecture.gif

Let me answer all of this:
1) After you followed every single step in EoC's tutorial, you can access all of your channels like nothing happens.

2) You can't play NTSC Wads on PAL Wii, unless you've used Starfall and use the "region free channels" patch. But some WADs might give you the black screen freeze like it did to my "Defend Your Castle" installed WAD... good times...

3)If your Wii is bricked, and you've a softchip, search "auto boot wad manager" here. There should be a working release by jayparadox. I've one and it's working as good as hell
3.1)IF you don't have a modchip, simply have TH in your System Memory, TP, Starfall with the last three options and the corresponding .dol/.elf (never used TH, my Wii came HBC-preinstalled) in the root of your SD Card. Then, boot into Recovery menu with pressing "Y" on GC Pad on the health screen, slide in TP and load TH, and well, remove the bad wad.

Okay, thousands of thanks
smile.gif
By the way I just followed the tutorial until this
"+Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel."

Will that make any difference?
and when I want to remove a working WAD that I've installed do I uninstall it or erase it from the Wii memory?

milkmanchris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow thats some 18 pages - read and understood probably less than I should ;(

Anyway before I start

I have a wiikey 1.9s running on 3.1E, my problems seem to have started after the update to 3.3 many moons ago, SSBB and the like stoppped loading so I got the first firmware downloader at the time and went back to 3.1, put on HBC and Gecko and was able to load anything that didnt show up in the disc channel via there.

Last week I updated the HBC to 1.1 (I think, at work as I write) and gecko no longer works, gamma loader is giving me 324 or no dvd disc errors on games that previously worked, I tried a few upgraders and loaders from various places and landed here.

The tut seems easy enough and I think my problem is that I have one too many cios or ios's running etc.

What would be my best course of action?, am thinking maybe let the wii update to 3.4 and follow the steps from the begining, will this remove all the old junk files?

Thanks guys in anticipation, new to GBATEMP posting although and avid reader of the DS stuff here.

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick and easy guide, EoC! It has been a while since I had installed anything from a clean system, but after the Wii got bricked I had no choice. I got everything up and working and felt up to speed on the whole process again in no time.

D

Deleted User

QUOTE said:
Okay, thousands of thanks
smile.gif
By the way I just followed the tutorial until this
"+Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel."

Will that make any difference?
and when I want to remove a working WAD that I've installed do I uninstall it or erase it from the Wii memory?

Yea, you do that, you've IOS51 and Shop Channel will work.

Without it, you can't access shop channel.

For WAD, you should uninstall it through WAD Manager. I've heard cases about people losing part of their memory blocks due to removing their installed WAD through Data management.

jac

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Followed the guide through and it worked perfectly.

One thing I did want to check was:

Slowking said:
Nice one. Imo you should add a step for installing the twilight hack again after they've downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2. How I know these Noobs they will go wild with wads after they've downgraded and eventually brick their Wiis. So they should really have the twilight hack on there...

I went from 3.3E to 3.2E, is this necessary?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto