Homebrew 2500 N64 Roms to be exact

dracbat59

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have asked many questions as to why people only put the original name of the ROM.
Example:
Super Mario 64 Works...

What about all the other 27 Super Mario 64 Roms? Some may be better than the rest. I have asked numerous people why don't they split thier charts into each format?
I have found over 2500 N64 Roms, and I am currently going through 460 right now so compare and contrast each one another.
I have created a site for my research, and if you have allready tried these, let me know what format (.n64, z64, or v64) and the outcome of the rom. (send to [email protected]) and I will add them to my registry.
I have only started on this website last week. But have 63 games I went through today and tested the outcomes.

http://wii64fullromset.wikispaces.com

dracbat59

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know all of these sites, but the main thing is that they don't explain EXACTLY which Rom of the game it actually is.
This is what I am trying to accomplish
Find all the ROMS for that game, and compare and contrast every single Rom to each one and determine which one is the better one.
All I see on this page is Super Mario/Yes/ Playable.
This is what mine is looking like:
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [!].
Super Mario 64 (J) [!].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [b2].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [t1].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [h1C].
Super Mario 64 (U) [t3].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [b1].
Super Mario 64 (U) [h2C].
Super Mario 64 (J) [h1C].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [t2].
Super Mario 64 (U) [b2].
Super Mario 64 (U) [b1].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [o1]
Super Mario 64 (U) [h1C]
Super Mario 64 (U) [T+Rus]
tell me which one works better than the other?
(minus the hacked versions) then that will be the exact one that everyone is looking for.
It's going to be extensive, but I have come across games where they say they don't work, but roms I am going through do.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are all the same games, the only difference is the headers usually. So if one works they all work, and if one of those dont work its probably due to bad data

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dracbat59 said:
I know all of these sites, but the main thing is that they don't explain EXACTLY which Rom of the game it actually is.
This is what I am trying to accomplish
Find all the ROMS for that game, and compare and contrast every single Rom to each one and determine which one is the better one.
All I see on this page is Super Mario/Yes/ Playable.
This is what mine is looking like:
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [!].
Super Mario 64 (J) [!].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [b2].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [t1].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [h1C].
Super Mario 64 (U) [t3].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [b1].
Super Mario 64 (U) [h2C].
Super Mario 64 (J) [h1C].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [t2].
Super Mario 64 (U) [b2].
Super Mario 64 (U) [b1].
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [o1]
Super Mario 64 (U) [h1C]
Super Mario 64 (U) [T+Rus]
tell me which one works better than the other?
(minus the hacked versions) then that will be the exact one that everyone is looking for.
It's going to be extensive, but I have come across games where they say they don't work, but roms I am going through do.
CODE[a] - Alternate
- Bad Dump
[BF] - Bung Fix
[c] - Cracked
[f] - Other Fix
- Hack
[o] - Overdump

- Pirate
[t] - Trained
[T] - Translation
(Unl) - Unlicensed
[x] - Bad Checksum
ZZZ_ - Unclassified
[!] - Verified Good Dump
(???k) - ROM Size Special Codes:
[C] - Color GameBoy
- Super GameBoy
(M#) - Multilanguage (# of Languages)
[M] - Mono Only (NeoGeo Pocket)
(PC10) - PlayChoice 10 (NES)
(1) - Japan (Genesis)
(4) - USA (Genesis)
(5) - NTSC Only (Genesis)
(8) - PAL Only (Genesis)
(BS) - BS ROMS (SNES)
(ST) - Sufami Turbo (SNES)
(NP) - Nintendo Power (SNES)
(Adam) - ADAM Version (Coleco)
(PAL) - PAL Video Country Codes:
(A) - Australian
© - Chinese
(E) - Europe
(F) - French
(FN) - Finland
(G) - German
(GR) - Greece
(HK) - Hong Kong
(I) - Italian
(J) - Japan
(K) - Korean
(NL) - Dutch
(PD) - Public Domain
(S) - Spanish
(SW) - Sweden
(U) - USA
(UK) - England
(Unk) - Unknown Country
(-) - Unknown Country

I found it googling for "rom tags"

smile.gif

dracbat59

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But how come when you see that users will put down that a game does not work, whereas I went through all of those and found the one that works.
1080 Works
Airboarder works
Diddy Kong Racing Works
Doom works
the only one that I saw that narrowed it down was Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Dynamic Recompiler 65-120% 3D issues. Menu layering. Sky. Yes Crashes in 1st mission. Combat simulator ok. Use (U) (v1.0) ROM.
But this chart and many others say that they do not work. It's because they have the WRONG ROM.
Thanks Davi 92 for that list. It makes it easier, but still more than one may be better than the other. I found that N64 Renamer Tool, I guess people don't care what it's called so they will just make it the actual game name and skip all that the ROM had in the filename prior.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chop said:
Plus once they update the Emu the list will be obsolete.

Um, no.... when they update the emu, the list be have to be updated to reflect the latest version, or add notations that specify which version of the emulator it was last tested on.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn man.... that sounds like a massive waste of time lol!
tongue.gif

Like YayMii said, the [!] is the best dump (for that region etc), so basically everyone should use those versions... if they don't then that's their problem.
Still, if you wanna waste your life away trying out 20-odd different versions of Mario 64 (and let's be honest, a good 'test' would involve at least an hours try per version) then by all means! I seriously do not see the point though, and like chop says, what happens when you''ve spent hours and hours of testing, then beta3 gets released? You gonna go through them all over again?!?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...