Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read countless of threads about this.
Some say it's impossible.
Some say it's possible.

I'm looking for info from someone who actually got it working, not theories.

I have power on both HDD that's not an issue.

Vwii HDD is hidden.

Wii U games load properly. No problem.

USB loader GX lists the games but they don't run. If i unplug the Wii U HDD they work.

I want to avoid having to do this.

If you know how let me know please.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't try, but users did the tests for me. (and it might still be problematic with 3hdd as people are reporting issues in that thread)

https://gbatemp.net/posts/7216091

The Port and hdd order depends on many things (hub or not, IOS base and cIOS revision you use)

USB loader GX lists the games but they don't run. If i unplug the Wii U HDD they work.
it means the loader see the game while inside the loader, but they are on a different partition (or with a different hdd detection method) at game launch. usually a cause of using IOS58 inside the loader, and cIOS to launch game, instead of using cIOS for both inside the loader and game launching.

do not use HUB to power the HDD. HUB are working only with IOS58, and therefore won't launch game once it reloads cIOS.

How do you plug everything ? can you describe which cable to where ? are there any y-cable, are there any hub, are there any powered hdd getting power not from USB ?
Which setup do you use in USBGX ? which boot IOS, which loader's IOS, which game's IOS?

Last edited by Cyan,

Dumbfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't try, but users did the tests for me. (and it might still be problematic with 3hdd as people are reporting issues in that thread)

https://gbatemp.net/posts/7216091

The Port and hdd order depends on many things (hub or not, IOS base and cIOS revision you use)

it means the loader see the game while inside the loader, but they are on a different partition (or with a different hdd detection method) at game launch. usually a cause of using IOS58 inside the loader, and cIOS to launch game, instead of using cIOS for both inside the loader and game launching.
Awesome thanks!
I have a question regarding the cIOS installation, what slot should i use?
cIOS should be: v10 beta53 dx-v10-beta53-alt-vWii and Base: 57. On Slots 249,250 and 251 i got this installed.
Should I overwrite any of these or use another one?

I understood that i have to change the Loader setting:
Loader's IOS should be 57 (possibly same as base?)
Game's IOS should be same as slot? (i don't know the slot number)

After that i should be allowed to change the port number on HDD settings.

do not use HUB to power the HDD. HUB are working only with IOS58, and therefore won't launch game once it reloads cIOS.

How do you plug everything ? can you describe which cable to where ? are there any y-cable, are there any hub, are there any powered hdd getting power not from USB ?
I have 1HDD with an Y cable. and Another in an enclosure that gets power from the wall.
I can invert which disk uses the Y cable or the enclosure.
From my test inverting them had no effect, after inverting i made sure to flip the USB on the back so the WiiU HDD is always on port0, once powered by Y and again but powered by enclosure. But i didn't do the guide above yet cos i'm unsure about slots. I'm new to Wii U and don't want to brick the console. =P

Which setup do you use in USBGX ? which boot IOS, which loader's IOS, which game's IOS?

Loader's IOS 58
Game's IOS 249
Boot IOS i couldn't find it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
cIOS should be: v10 beta53 dx-v10-beta53-alt-vWii and Base: 57.
why use r53 ?
is that because of the guide I posted ?
these info are from the "old outdated guides" section, when nintendont didn't work with WiiU HDD connected in USB Port higher than vWii HDD USB Port. back then, the vWii HDD needed to be plugged on a higher USBPort, and therefore needed d2x v10 r53.

I understand I posted that guide, and it's confusing because there are outdated sections in it. It's just there to show what's possible (up to 3 HDD). but you only need to go with the very easy setup : d2x r52.
I edited the guide to better mark outdated section not to follow.

you don't need r53 anymore. now that nintendont properly skip WiiU HDD, it can be connected on higher ports, and vWii HDD can be connected properly to USB Port0, like it should.
So, If you installed the cIOS from wiiguide, then you are good.

If you have r53 installed, you shouldn't keep it, just follow wiiguide with d2x r52 in all three slots :
249 56 <-- this is the default USBLoader's slot. 90% of games are working with base56
250 57 <-- some games will need it (Call of duty, music games. set this slot on a game by game basis, in their own individual settings)
251 58 <-- this one is rarely needed.

The boot IOS is in the meta.xml file (but it's enabled only if you edited the xml manually in a text editor).
some HDD have initialization issue with cIOS, that's why some users prefer using IOS58 as boot IOS.

But, just try to set the settings you have access in the loader to slot 249 (the default loader's IOS and game's IOS).
and see if your HDD has issue initializing.

if you have issue at loader's launch, you could try to set "boot IOS" to 58.
edit the meta.xml, delete the 2 lines saying "delete me to enable arguments", and edit boot ios value to 58. save the file. try launching the loader again.

after inverting i made sure to flip the USB on the back so the WiiU HDD is always on port0,
vWii HDD should be on port 0 (back-top), so it works with d2x v10 r52 (not alt r53).
WiiU HDD anywhere else.

I recommend you use the vWii HDD without enclosure (these can have detection/initialization issues with cIOSes).
so :
vWii Ustealth, Y-cable Data to USB Port 0 (back-top)
vWii Ustealth, Y-cable Power to any other USB port, or powered Hub, or USB plug adapter/charger.
WiiU in the enclosure, to any other USB port.
USBGX game's IOS : 249 (d2x v10 r52 base56)
USBGX loader's IOS : 249 (if this setup doesn't work, try loader's IOS 58)

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Awesome thanks!
cIOS should be: v10 beta53 dx-v10-beta53-alt-vWii and Base: 57. On Slots 249,250 and 251 i got this installed.
Should I overwrite any of these or use another one?

I understood that i have to change the Loader setting:
Loader's IOS should be 57 (possibly same as base?)
Game's IOS should be same as slot? (i don't know the slot number)

After that i should be allowed to change the port number on HDD settings.

I have 1HDD with an Y cable. and Another in an enclosure that gets power from the wall.
I can invert which disk uses the Y cable or the enclosure.
From my test inverting them had no effect, after inverting i made sure to flip the USB on the back so the WiiU HDD is always on port0, once powered by Y and again but powered by enclosure. But i didn't do the guide above yet cos i'm unsure about slots. I'm new to Wii U and don't want to brick the console. =P

Loader's IOS 58
Game's IOS 249
Don't change the loader IOS. Is your vWii drive plugged in the top rear port?

Reactions: jeannotte

Dumbfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working you guys! All games work no more unplugging :D
Aside from the specific physical connections, this setting made it work;

USBGX loader's IOS : 249
It was 58 before and it wouldn't work.

Thanks a lot @Cyan !

If i can abuse your generosity once more is there a forwarder I can I use with it or nah?

Last edited by Dumbfreak,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are different forwarders.

1. a Wii forwarder (also working on vWii). launch from Wii or vwii, to forward to sd:/usbloader_gx/boot.dol

2. a WiiU to vWii forwarder. Launch from WiiU ! It boots vWii mode and launched the forwarder channel which loads the forwarder to sd:/usbloader_gx/boot.dol, You need BOTH the 1. and 2.

3. a WiiU forwarder (working in WiiU mode with tablet mode, but NO USB or emuNAND support. it's only for SD and Nintendont frontend, maybe disc emulator?). I never tried it, I'm not sure what is possible or not, I only know USB is not possible.
This one needs to be generated by you, as it contains illegal content to be shared here.

for 1. and 2., you can look in the first post of the official USBLoaderGX thread.

realg123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks a lot @Cyan !

If i can abuse your generosity once more is there a forwarder I can I use with it or nah?

If you don't mind, could you share details on how you got it working. Thanks

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you don't mind, could you share details on how you got it working. Thanks
They already did.

Thanks a lot @Cyan !

The reason I told you not to change the loader IOS is because that shouldn't affect game launching, only game listing. If games are not launching with cIOS, then changing the loader IOS to cIOS would likely just make USB Loader GX unable to list the games at all. I don't know why it fixed it for you, but I'm glad you got it working.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are different forwarders.

1. a Wii forwarder (also working on vWii). launch from Wii or vwii, to forward to sd:/usbloader_gx/boot.dol

2. a WiiU to vWii forwarder. Launch from WiiU ! It boots vWii mode and launched the forwarder channel which loads the forwarder to sd:/usbloader_gx/boot.dol, You need BOTH the 1. and 2.

3. a WiiU forwarder (working in WiiU mode with tablet mode, but NO USB or emuNAND support. it's only for SD and Nintendont frontend, maybe disc emulator?). I never tried it, I'm not sure what is possible or not, I only know USB is not possible.
This one needs to be generated by you, as it contains illegal content to be shared here.

for 1. and 2., you can look in the first post of the official USBLoaderGX thread.
you mean the nintendont forwarder only works with sd card? I'm using an sd card myself, but I think I'm in the minority as most people seem to use usb with nintendont.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiU injected channel doesn't have access to USB. it's either SD or an ISO mounted as a fake disc.

you can inject nintendont in a WiiU channel with an ISO (which is mounted as Disc) and you'll have the WiiU controller buttons working with the games.
or you can inject nintendont (or a forwarder to nintendont) in a wiiU channel without an ISO, which act as a launcher for ISO on SD.
or you can inject USBloader GX, which acts as nintendont front-end launcher, with per-game settings, etc.
but when injected in WiiU mode, USB is not available.

I don't remember if it's possible to use USBGX in wiiU mode and play wii games. (maybe once it will be compatible with wbfs on SD).

If you want nintendont with USB, launch it from vWii (or using the Wiiu to vWii mode channel). in this mode, the wiiU controller only have the picture, not the button input, but USB works.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU injected channel doesn't have access to USB. it's either SD or an ISO mounted as a fake disc.

you can inject nintendont in a WiiU channel with an ISO (which is mounted as Disc) and you'll have the WiiU controller buttons working with the games.
or you can inject nintendont (or a forwarder to nintendont) in a wiiU channel without an ISO, which act as a launcher for ISO on SD.
or you can inject USBloader GX, which acts as nintendont front-end launcher, with per-game settings, etc.
but when injected in WiiU mode, USB is not available.

I don't remember if it's possible to use USBGX in wiiU mode and play wii games. (maybe once it will be compatible with wbfs on SD).

If you want nintendont with USB, launch it from vWii (or using the Wiiu to vWii mode channel). in this mode, the wiiU controller only have the picture, not the button input, but USB works.
the usb with nintendont and a forwarder that goes to the vwii from the wiiu--you can't use the gamepad as a controller? I know I can with the sd card as I tested it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when you are in vWii mode, and you press a button on the WiiU controller, it displays a message explaining the buttons are not working.

Are you sure you are going into vWii mode ?
maybe you injected nintendont in a wiiU channel, launching in WiiU mode.

Or there have been improvement in the last 2 years I didn't follow WiiU scene :P

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you are in vWii mode, and you press a button on the WiiU controller, it displays a message explaining the buttons are not working.

Are you sure you are going into vWii mode ?
maybe you injected nintendont in a wiiU channel, launching in WiiU mode.
yes, I'm using the wiiu forwarder to nintendont. I thought that's what you meant.

Reactions: Cyan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the usb with nintendont and a forwarder that goes to the vwii from the wiiu--you can't use the gamepad as a controller? I know I can with the sd card as I tested it.
Wii VC disables USB support. This would be able to be worked around if there was more dev interest in the Wii U. At least you can still use a Wii U Pro Controller with Nintendont and USB support.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them