Hacking 11.0.0-33 : The Aftermath

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am writing this to help clear up a lot of misinformation that's going around regarding exactly what changed and how this affects the scene going forward.

The system update 11.0.0-33 was released for both New and Old 3DS devices on May 9, 2016 in all regions. The official changelog can be found here and a 3dbrew page with technical details can be found here.

Confirmed: arm9loaderhax users are safe to update SysNAND and EmuNAND / RedNAND.
Confirmed: EmuNAND/RedNAND users are safe to update their EmuNAND / RedNAND (but never SysNAND!).

Any user of the Guide (or Luma3DS + NTR firmware bin in general) will be completely unaffected by most of these changes since the NTR firmware bin replaces 11.0.0's firmware with a lower version firmware.

The Changes (or Lack Thereof)
Cubic Ninja [ninjhax]
  • Lost access to both http:C and soc:U, which means Cubic Ninja on any version 11.0.0 and above will no longer be able to download it's payload off the internet. This means more code must be squeezed into the space of a single QR code, but smea believes this is only a temporary problem and can be worked around given time
  • Received codebin physical-memory randomization which was originally added for the eShop in 10.4.0-29, which temporarily makes launching the exploit very unreliable until an update is released
Ocarina Of Time 3D [oot3dhax]
  • Received codebin physical-memory randomization which was originally added for the eShop in 10.4.0-29, which temporarily makes launching the exploit very unreliable until an update is released
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon [supermysterychunkhax]
  • Nothing
VVVVVV [(v*)hax]
  • Nothing
Super Smash Bros. [smashbroshax]
  • Nothing
friends-sysmodule
  • fpdver was incremented once again, which means that once a server-side toggle is flipped (usually around a week after release of updates), users with outdated friends-sysmodules will be unable to play online
svcBackdoor11
  • This function, which is used for many arm11 kernel applications such as BootNTR and RetroArch, was completely removed. This will temporarily break applications that use it unless you are running the latest Luma3DS commit
"svchax" (aka memchunkhax2.1)
  • This was not truly patched once and for all, but has had some complications introduced
  • New security checks in kernel heaps were added which makes "svchax" require extremely precise timing and trickery to execute, breaking it (possibly permanently) unless a fix is implemented
  • Downgrading in general, regardless of any arm11 kernel exploits (like svchax) released in the future, has been broken (possibly permanently). The firmware now contains a hardcoded list of minimum versions, and will not let us install a system title of a lower version than in the list, even if we have permission to install our own titles. This will make downgrading on 11.0.0's firmware impossible if no software workaround is found.
  • Currently, there is a hardmod workaround to flash an older firm to NAND and re-enable downgrading, but this could possibly be fixed in 11.1.0 and it's only fortunate that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Last edited by Plailect,

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you Plialect :) You've done a great job for the community with your guide and this post cleared up a lot of confusing about the new update. It would take quite some time for people to buy 11.0 stock devices but for noobs who don't know and update it can be quite a problem to downgrade now..

kofman13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're a legend bro, your guide is amazing and helped me ( a noob) install a9lh+cfw on new3ds for first time. glad to know im safe to update if i wish to

Reactions: MajinCubyan

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This is what I've been waiting for. Will sub to this thread to see future updates to OoThax & downgrading. Thanks @Plailect

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't we fake the version of the title?
So If we find a new way to downgrade in the future, it will think it's installing the same title but in reality it's installing the older one?

No, not without getting Nintendo's keys as arm11 can only install properly signed titles, whether "legit cias" or system titles. Downgrading could be done through an arm9 exploit though.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a very nice guide as most (myself included) probably did not know about the minimum version checker (which will sadly probably break downgrading for a while). Good shit, keep it up!! :bow:

ad1gjm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just update my CFW sysnand A9LH to latest version. Its work perfectly. Thanks for the info plailect

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course. Read the thing right before "The Changes"
I believe Ive caught a case of dyslexia in my sleep, thats 4 times today ive misread something.

Also i followed the guide today and had 9.2 to 2.1 fail on me 5 different times. I eventually went and updated to 11.0 to get the 2.1 downgrade to work.

Last edited by DHall243,
Reactions: astrangeone

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

9:08 PM <@yellows8> Plailect: anyway, smash is not mentioned on the v11.0 page at all.
9:15 PM <Plailect> I just wrote what tux said tbh
9:15 PM <Plailect> he linked that and said it was patched; I didn't really look at it
9:16 PM <@yellows8> what page was it?
9:17 PM <Plailect> the memory management page
9:21 PM <@yellows8> versionlist update is just some JPN title(not hax related).
9:22 PM <Plailect> oh
9:22 PM <Plailect> probably should have verified that...
9:22 PM <Plailect> my mistake then, I'll edit

Reactions: Psi-hate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la