10.3 System, Nervously Thinking of Downgrading and installing CFW

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by John256145, Jul 14, 2016.

1. John256145
    OP

John256145 "Why does your name have so many numbers?"

Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    /storage/emulated/0
    I have had my (only) Old 3ds on 10.3 for a while now, and I think it's time I should downgrade. The problem is, I've never been more afraid of potentially breaking something by hacking it. It already has homebrew. And all tutorials about downgrading the 3ds have been really scary with their warnings, I've noticed. In my eyes, this is what I see:

Rooting Android: **I take no responsibility.**
    Installing Homebrew Channel on Wii: Do this at your own risk!
    Unlocking Android Bootloader and installing custom recovery: Be careful.
    Wii U Mods: (No warning given.)
    Downgrading 3ds firmware: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR 3DS! IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE, IT IS YOUR FAULT, AND WAS YOUR DECISION! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS, TURN AWAY NOW. THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING. IF YOU BLAME ME, I WILL SIMPLY LAUGH AT YOUR FACE. HOPE YOU HAVE SOME SPARE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS! Lol noob.
    (Yes, I've successfully done all of the above, except downgrading, of course.)
    Why is this? Is the application so unstable that it could randomly choose someone to screw over? Or are so many people recklessly installing the wrong .cia's? I'm not an idiot that would build a computer with wet hands on a carpet or turn the power off in the middle of an update, but It's still my first time doing this. By the way, are the chances higher for me that I have a 10.3 3ds and the fact that there's a more safer sysUpdater app? I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be doing such a big risk, and avoid having my first bricked device.

SirBeethoven likes this.
  2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Follow from here.
    As long as you don't skip steps it's 99.99% safe
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(9.2.0-Downgrade)
    Don't worry about anything, I did it to over 30 3DS systems, and it's perfectly safe!

3. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    Just make sure to backup your saves and format your 3ds beforehand.

4. John256145
    OP

Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    /storage/emulated/0
    Woah, I haven't seen this tutorial yet. But I'll follow this one when I do it. I've also made sure I have no DsiWare installed, and deleted my TubeHax connection. This may sound like a noobish question, but do you know if using a MicroSD card adapter on the 3ds instead of a full size SD Card would have any effect on my downgrade? Have you had any trouble with them? Thanks for the fast reply, by the way.

5. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    No, there will be no (noticeable) difference.
    On those multiple 3ds systems, most of times, I just used a microsd with adapter and it always went fine.
    Also, good decision deleting those DSIWare, those usually cause problems

6. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    If the adapter is in good condition (no faulty contacts) then I see no problem with it.

7. ThisIsDaAccount

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I used a microsd on a family member's console myself. Went through the whole process without a problem.

However, this was after formatting the system memory, which I highly recommend you do (again). If you don't, there's a possibility of you softbricking and having to update to 11.0, from which you can't install A9LH without a hardmod.

8. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    This is perfectly safe if you follow exactly what the guide says. I've used this guide >5x already and it hasn't failed me once.

9. Foxchild

Foxchild Goomba Overlord

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    The guide does a good job of explaining what you're doing while you do it. If you're nervous, I recommend reading through the guide to get a good understanding of the steps before starting, and since you've hacked other devices, I think it will put your mind at ease. Give yourself plenty of time when you start the process (don't start when you have to leave for work in an hour, etc.), take your time, and all will be good. Plus the Temp is here to help if you need it.

John256145 likes this.
  10. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Don't be nervous, you have a low chance of bricking if you follow the directions step by step.

11. John256145
    OP

Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    /storage/emulated/0
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and support! I'll definitely read over the tutorial a couple of times and follow it carefully and slowly.
    ThisIsDaAccount, I noticed your recommendation, but I'm sure you'll be disappointed to hear that I don't think I'll be comfortable losing almost 3+ years worth of data.
    I'll downgrade tomorrow or Friday, whichever works best for me. Thanks again!

12. ThePanchamBros

ThePanchamBros Hates the Undertale Fandom

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Under your bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    what @Davidosky99 said. ALso, I was super nervous during the initial install, but everything goes fine.

Davidosky99 likes this.
  13. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Also to be more accurate:
    Android root/custom rom/custom kernel: I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the product before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.

At least here you can blame @Plailect when your downgrade causes a thermonuclear war. Hahaha JK.

14. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    the guide is really straight forward and easy. just follow it to the letters, and you'll succeed.
    the only way you will fail is probably doing something stupid like downloading all the files a few days before doing the actual downgrade lol and misread some steps or something like that.
    trust me, i was like you when i first A9LH my N3DS, but it went by like a breeze.

15. ThisIsDaAccount

Apr 8, 2016
    United States
    I can understand that, and even if you don't you still have a good chance to make it to 9.2. In my first install, I downgraded without formatting and it went fine (even though it took a couple of tries to boot PlaiSysUpdater). Still, I would just think it over, because some people do soft brick and you can back up save files with svdt or JK save manager.

Not sure if you can back up Miiverse stuff though (I don't use it). I know JK can back up shared Extdata if that's what it's in, but if that's not it then I guess it's worth the risk.

16. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Somebody mentioned this already, but do not skip any steps. Even if it seems arbitrary just do it. Nobody wants to have an expensive brick on their hands.

N7Kopper likes this.
  17. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    Back up everything that it's possible to back up before you format and downgrade. Depending on your system version, even NAND app save data can be backed up.

18. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    The reason there are so many warnings on every guide is mostly because the creators of these guides don't want to be held responsible if something goes wrong.

Aside from that, the reason that the 3DS guides have a lot more warnings slapped on them is because 3DS hacking for some reason has the tedency to attract idiots with less than a braincell who do start complaining if they don't follow the guide correctly.

You should be safe as long as you follow the steps to the letter. I've done it twice so far, once on an O3DS and once on a N3DS. AGE (linked in Plailects guide, should you choose to follow it) can help you if you want to keep an eye on where you currently are.

19. SwaGoat

SwaGoat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Greece
    Well,when I was going to downgrade my o3ds I tried through SysUpdater,it wouldn't downgrade for some reason,and then I found SafeSysUpdater (which I don't know if it's really ''safe'' ,since it just checks the cias for the downgrade (which i think can be done manually) but I prefer it anyway) I've downgraded 3 times,all had me nervous since the 3ds I was downgrading wasn't mine.Just check everything,don't skip steps from guides,don't go doing anything stupid and cross your fingers at all times.I think it's ''prooved'' that there's a 1/100 chance that the downgrading can go wrong ,with uknown reason,and yes,I shouldn't broght that up but I believe it's better to know every detail of what can happen,and why.

Believe me,it's a hard decision,but will be ''fertile'' if successful.

20. V0LT!GE

V0LT!GE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2016
    Gambia, The
    seriusly... i was also scared at the beginning when i just looked at and all the risks when trying to install a9lhax but i did it and without any Problem!