ROM Hack Zelda/SimCity/Hoshigami not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go185

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so yea, im go185 (generic username ftw, also known as |papuu| on #ndstemp), and I am here to talk to you today about these new protected roms that Nintendo is releasing.

So far, there are a few documented protected roms:
* 1158 - Zelda no Densetsu: Mugen no Sunadokei (J)
* 1159 - SimCity DS (E)
* 1319 - Minagara Oreru DS Origami (J)
* 1292 - Mega Man Star Force: Dragon (U)
* 1293 - Mega Man Star Force: Leo (U)
* 1294 - Mega Man Star Force: Pegasus (U)
* 1181 - Hoshigami Remix Running Blue (U)
* 1183 - Chuukana Janshi Tenhoo Painyan Remix (J)
* 1256 - Idol Janshi Suchie Pai III Remix (J)
* 1288 - Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber (J)
* 1298 - Chameleon: To Dye For (U)
* 1368 - Worms: Open Warfare 2 (E)

(thanks to loathsome for the updated list!

These roms use some kind of new protected arm7.bin that causes the games not to load on some flashcarts (most notably the DS-X and a few slot2 carts). Lucky for us, Nintendo released 2 games (Hoshigami (J) and Simcity (J)) before they started using the new arm7.bin protection, whose arm7.bin's work as replacements for the games in the list.

I originally discovered this method (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=54160&st=90&p=697573&#entry697573) when trying to get Hoshigami (U) to work on my Ninjapass X9 (odd part is that this is the only game on the list that needs this for me...), and tried replacing files from the Japanese version (which played fine for me....). I then noticed that the arm7.bin's between the two were different, so I replaced it, and much to my surprise, it worked!

Later that day, CougRAWR made a step-by-step tutorial for the method (thanks! as I was too busy playing Hoshigami!) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=54524 that helped others get into the game.

Also a day or two later, another member of the forums (whose name escapes me now, sorry!) released a arm7.bin transfer program. What this program does is it takes the arm7.bin from the game in the DONER folder and puts it into the rom in the PATIENT folder. Great work of programming, as it is so much easier to do than the original dslazy method.
http://m3.omgrofl.com/files/patches/arm7_fix.zip

And on July 7th, kazumi213 went into even further detail (yay for detail!) here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=545...ndpost&p=701125

Anyway, the main point of this topic is for discussion of these 4 (maybe even more...) protected games, what flashcarts you were able to get them to work on, and what problems you might be having.

May the arm7.bin discussion begin!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country

go185

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
(snip)
And today, July 12th, brutalboy went into even further detail (yay for detail!) here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=551...ndpost&p=705776
(snip)

Please go185, credit the actual author for those instructions (also, correct date is July 7th)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=545...ndpost&p=701125

Oh, and thanks for YOUR arm7.bin fix
wink2.gif

Woops! Sorry about that! I just read the news post that was made on the main page, and thought that it was he who wrote it.

Updateding now!
biggrin.gif

go185

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
some kind of new protected arm7.binAccording to other gbatemp forum threads, the protection is actually trying to read/write directly to/from Slot 1. Or something. Anyone wanna comment on that?

I think they are correct, and here is why:

My ninjapass x9 can either use a dsrom.lst or not (completely optional)
But since I maintain the dsrom.lst on the X9 forums, I update it from time to time
When I originally tested Hoshigami (U) (before I even knew about this new protection) I used the save type from the Japanese game, 512k eeprom. When I was presented with black screens, I tried other save types (4k eeprom, 2m flash, ect..). To my surprise, I was presented with a screen saying could not read data.

So what I guess is that when these games are played for the first time, they attempt to create a save on the card.
Since using the wrong save type results in a screen saying unable to read data, and the correct save type presenting me with a black screen, I can come to the conclusion that it does ahve something to do with the saving. =/

go185

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
shouldn't you back your "Magic Protection" guess with a disassembly?

Well, why else would these 4 games work by replacing a single (yet very important) file?
AND at the same time, using this same method solves the problem for EVERY CART that has experianced this problem?

Now, if I had to replace a few files, then it could either be a bad dump (highly unlikely) or an incompatibility with the cards.

bullet007

Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: I have heard that the R4 cannot play Worms Open Warfare 2 on the DS without using this method, just a heads up!

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have to worry about this particular issue so far. You don't need to specify the save type for Slot-2 Supercard carts.
smile.gif

Although I do wish Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam worked. Only DS mode game I've tried that gets a critical error. Maybe it's been fixed by now? Game's been out quite some time.

Pioggia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hoshigami and sim city work perfectly fine on my r4 ...
i didn't even know this problem existed ...
huh. well thanks for the info, if i ever come across this problem i'll now know what to do ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1