Wii 2 at E3?

Motastic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be old by a couple of days, but its interesting.

Drew Cohen — You're feeling it, we're feeling it: there appears to be a veritable drought of 1st-party Nintendo titles this spring. None, to be exact.

Sure, Nintendo launched a brand new console a mere two weeks ago. But one can't help but gawp at what is most certainly the largest scarcity of titles to come—or more accurately, not come—from the company in a long while.

Curiosity compelled us to take a look at all of the cartridge- and disk-based titles Nintendo has launched over the past 10 years to see if there isn't some sort of pattern or precedent.
Look at all of the titles that Nintendo published since January, 2001. Click image to enlarge.

More dramatically, compare the above data to only those titles that Nintendo developed in the same time period. Click image to enlarge.

What can we take away from Nintendo's historic release cycle?

• Publishing for the DS exceeds that of the Wii both in terms of quantity and consistency. Nintendo leveraged an enormous amount of support upon the DS —support which we expect to see extended to the 3DS in the months to come. It's no surprise, but Nintendo has been pampering all you portable gamers, because you've helped make them rich.

• Since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo has been releasing 1st-party titles for the Wii and the DS in alternating waves. Whereas in the past we observed simultaneous releases across both portable and home consoles, it's becoming the company's habit to unveil titles for one platform at a time.

• All this has happened before. The spring of 2002 was the longest Nintendo game drought on record, and has a number of characteristics in common with the season we're entering now.

Nintendo has launched a major piece of technology (the 3DS) and is initiating the gradual retirement of a console with a large and reliable installed base.

While we entered into this data mining project with the presumption that we could recognize a pattern that presaged a new console release—the Wii 2, obviously—the last time there was a Nintendo game drought this pronounced was after the release of the Gamecube. Still, you can neatly overlay the release history of the Gamecube overtop the current release history of the Wii—they match that closely.

If anything, a drought at this point in the (terribly successful) Wii lineup might mean nothing—but smart's money on a bunch of first-party Nintendo developers hard at work on launch titles for Wii 2.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
This isn't news since it means nothing.

Also, tags fail.

Also, tags fixed.
ph34r.gif

Motastic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then why is there a drought of Wii Games? The same thing happened with the GameCube, when the Wii got revealed. Steal show from 3DS? 3DS is already out, its just games. Awesome New 3DS Games and Shiny new Wii 2 will give Nintendo, one of the best E3 shows of all time.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motastic said:
Then why is there a drought of Wii Games? The same thing happened with the GameCube, when the Wii got revealed. Steal show from 3DS? 3DS is already out, its just games. Awesome New 3DS Games and Shiny new Wii 2 will give Nintendo, one of the best E3 shows of all time.

Well as ZeroPunctiation eloquently puts it, we are in the Post-Christmas season aka. "The Season of Bugger All Coming Out". That seems to correlate better with this 'drought'. Also isn't it more correlative to say that they were dumping every single resource into making 3DS games rather than putting stuff out on the Wii. Nintendo still hasn't released a 3DS game with their holy trinity: Zelda/Metroid/Mario. Doesn't it make more sense that they are committing all their resources there and thus the 'drought' of 1st party titles on the Wii.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was pretty much the same situation last year, we knew about Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M and thats about it...then came E3.

This year we know about new Zelda, Kirby, Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower as well as a possibility of The Last Story.

Nintendo are letting the 3DS have its moment, they have a lot on launching this and making sure other publishers support it.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
It was pretty much the same situation last year, we knew about Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M and thats about it...then came E3.

This year we know about new Zelda, Kirby, Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower as well as a possibility of The Last Story.

Nintendo are letting the 3DS have its moment, they have a lot on launching this and making sure other publishers support it.

QFT

Nintendo isn't going to suck the wind out of their premier hardware. Announcing Wii 2 right now would confuse the hell out of both publishers and the marketplace in general. Next year maybe.

D

Deleted_171835

Not everything from Kotaku should be posted in User Submitted News.

I doubt the successor to the Wii will be revealed during E3. Several prominent Wii games such as the new Kirby game, Zelda: Skyward Sword and Xenoblade aren't even out. If the successor to the Wii does get unveiled at E3, I'll be surprised.
and somewhat frustrated as I purchased my Wii about a year and a half ago

D

Deleted_171835

Also, to add some fuel to this
Eurogamer: Do you see a future when you'll be able to play Street Fighter on a home console and then transport your profile onto a handheld when you leave the home and continue playing? Is cross-platform play between home and portable consoles possible?

Yoshinori Ono: Yeah, I think we're probably three months too early to answer that question. But if you're going to be at E3, see you there.[/p]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-...nterview?page=2

For all we know, Ono may be talking about the Wii, though.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am 95% sure they won't show a new console at E3 2011.

I predict they will announce it around this time next year, and formally announce it at E3 of 2012 (Basicallly, what they did with the 3DS. They confirmed it about a month before they showed anything about it). Then it will come out for the holiday season of 2012. I can't imagine it being any earlier than that.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Besides, what would they show now?
I am quite perplexed on what Ninty would even come out with during a market like this.
unsure.gif

PS3 has no games

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I also doubt it would be revealed at this years E3.. Kinda soon in my opinion.

Just sayin.. Also the Wii drought could be because they could be focusing on the 3DS at the moment..

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk why poeple actually think that its bad idea for the wii 2 to come out now. It would be a perfect time, i mean the 3ds is breaking records if you take out a new console nintendo will dominate the sales charts for the next few years. Right now loyal nintendo fans have a 3ds come next holiday season if the wii 2 is released they'll buy it anyway. The market right now needs a new console, wii sales are dying and ps3/360 are doing pretty good but if nintendo can come out with something as awesome as the 3ds in console form that will truly print money for them.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't doubt that we'll be hearing something about the Wii successor this year at E3. I just don't think we'll see it on shelves this year. Let's face it, Sony and MS can talk all they want about this being the longest-lasting generation of consoles - they've both got some fairly powerful hardware under the hood, and they've already revamped both their consoles and control schemes. The Wii is, at heart, a last-gen system with some current-gen gimmicks. No large-capacity storage, no real media playback capabilities, no real high-def. Nintendo's realized that they're not getting as large a share of cross-platform titles as they could've, and they're gonna rectify that sooner or later. I'd say by summer 2012, we'll be seeing the new Wii, with compatibility for Gamecube and Wii games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc