ROM Hack 1000 Bornes English Translation

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to start translating 1000 Bornes, more commonly known to us English folk as "Mille Bornes" or 1000 Miles.

I have already found several text files in the rom and completely translated and retranslated all the lines, at least twice. I'm still iffy on a couple of lines as to what they are supposed to mean, but as I come across them in the context of the game, I'm sure I can clean it up. I've also managed to find most, if not all, of the graphical sprites that house the remainder of the translation, but I'm working on just getting CrystalTile2 to work properly (let alone be understandable, dang Chinese language). I've managed to see a few of the tiles using Tahaxan, so I know I'm in the right area, but I'm still working on it, so there's a lot left to be done to truly polish this game.

I will also be doing as much of a graphics hack to this as possible, as most of the graphics on the game are terrible. Even the french is nearly impossible to read (especially since it seems to use dynamic software scaling - which looks like crap). Even when the cards are blown up to full size, only a few words are readable. I intend to clean up the cards as much as possible so that this can be one polished english game. Let's see if i can do so.

Release: DS #3047: 1000 Bornes (France)
French to English Translation and graphics hack status:
Basic text: 99.9% This is effectively done unless typos or wording needs to be changed.
Menu sprites: 0%
Hidden text: 0%
Card Graphics: 5%
UI Graphics: 2%

The translation is now in a very playable state.
Thanks to DarthNemesis below, I have a patch available that will allow everyone else to play this game as it is thus far, (as well as all future changes I make).
Pick up the new xdelta patch here. It is now at v0.1.1 thanks to some french friends who helped with the last couple of confusing lines. All .txt files are, in effect, translated fully now, and only play testing will reveal if any further edits are needed.
In order to use this you will also need the XDelta program here.

I am continuing this as long as it takes, but if anyone feels like helping, esp. anyone that knows French, or anyone that knows how to use CrystalTile2, or a better method of editing .ncbr and .cntf files, I'd very much appreciate the help - shoot me a PM.

Here are a list of translations for the game that I have not yet done, which will allow you to play the game completely (listed in the order they appear):

"Choisis un portrait et écris ton nom." Choose your portrait and write your name.
The main menu will now appear:
"Jouer" Play
"Apprendre" Learn (literally - this is the tutorial)
"Options" Options
"Credits" Credits

If you click on Jouer, this menu appears:
"Classique" Classical
"Special" Special
"Multijoueur" Multiplayer (this is Single Card multiplayer only, and only Classical mode works in multiplayer - as far as I've been able to tell. Special mode is played with 3 players, and as I only have access to 2 DSes right now, I can't test to see if 3 player multiplayer will allow for Special mode).

If you click on Apprendre, this menu appears:
"Classique" Classical
"Special"
"Interface"
At this point, I don't think I have to explain any more on that menu. Any of these items will bring you to a freshly translated tutorial on all the features of the game.

If you click on Options, this text appears at the top, with this menu below:
"Touche les icônes pour activer ou désactiver les options." Touch the icons to enable or disable options
"Musique" Music
"Sons" Sounds
"Conseils" Tips
"Micro" Microphone
If you've made any changes, make sure to press the right arrow button, and not the back arrow button to save the changes.

If you choose "Jouer" and then "Classique" you will get this text on the top screen (the bottom screen should be self explanatory):
"Choisis le nombre de participants à la course." Choose the number of participants in the race.
After selecting how many players you want:
"Choisis tes adversaires, glisse les portraits sur les panneaux." Choose your opponents, sliding the portraits on the panels (empty bars on the right).
Clicking and holding on any portrait will provide a description of the Character's and their types of play on the top screen. I do have the translation to all of these, but there's simply too much text to put in this first post. After selecting your opponents, the same text as above appears. It simply means to drag the selected opponents to an empty car to play against them.

If you choose "Jouer" and then "Special" you will get this text on the top screen (the bottom screen shows how many kilometers you want to play until. To unlock larger numbers you have to play Special enough times to open them. I still haven't discerned how much is required for each level):

"Choisis un décor." Choose a scene.

In either mode in single player, everything is played with the stylus, and only the Start button will do anything. Pressing start brings up a pretty obvious menu with a stop light and green light. The red light says:
"Quitter" Exit (or quit)
The green light says:
"Reprendre" Resume (or continue)

I think I may have gone a bit far in this description, but hopefully, until I can get the graphics hacks working, this will allow everyone to play the game without having to worry about what something says. If anyone has a question, or statement about anything I've translated, PLEASE reply here. I don't actually speak French, but I've been doing a LOT of translating from French through several different translators to get the best English I can with every phrase I've found, though there are a couple of really strange French phrases and I'm afraid they won't make much sense in the game (so far I haven't seen them used in the game, so I can't clear it up yet). If you can provide a description of what happened or, better yet, a screenshot or photo of both screens at the time you get the strange phrase, so much the better.

Also, I'm sure a few of you remember my first translation hacking attempt back several months ago, Nobunaga's Ambition DS 2. I've spent some of my spare time for the past several months trying to figure things out in the files that NDStool has given me, but to no avail. I'm not giving up hope, and will probably start asking other people about the things I'm finding, so anyone actually interested in Nobunaga's Ambition DS 2 should not lose all hope. It must be hackable.

I've also ripped into Nobunaga's Ambition DS 1, and Kunitori Zunou Battle - Nobunaga no Yabou, in the hopes that their internals will help me with Nobunaga's Ambition 2. Considering the similarities between them all, I may work on them all simultaneously and release one large Nobunaga's Ambition translation - assuming I get that far.

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much for that... using XDelta I've made a patch for it that exactly matches the original hacked file, quite useful
smile.gif

At any rate, for anyone interested in testing out this translation, you can get the xdelta patch here. You will need XDelta that was mentioned by DarthNemesis
smile.gif

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
takieda said:
Thanks very much for that... using XDelta I've made a patch for it that exactly matches the original hacked file, quite useful
smile.gif

At any rate, for anyone interested in testing out this translation, you can get the xdelta patch here. You will need XDelta that was mentioned by DarthNemesis
smile.gif

This is just a suggestion, but put the .xdelta patch file in a .zip with the XDelta utility.
wink.gif

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be rewriting the entire first post so that it has all the information of what I've done so far, what specific release I used (though there's only one), etc.

As far as zipping the patch and the utility together, because the utility is not mine, I won't be distributing them together, however, I will make it large on the top how to get it, etc... romhacking.net is wonderfully easy to retrieve files from, so I'd rather give them visit credit for that program anyway. I will, however, contact the creator of the utility and see if he minds if I do so, and if he does not, then I shall put the two together.

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kreatur84 said:
hi good luck for the translation.
but ive got an question,what kind of game is it?

Looks to me like your suppose to drive 1000 miles, and there are ridiculous obstacles that are in your way.(Basicly You play mini games)

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GenesisX said:
Kreatur84 said:
hi good luck for the translation.
but ive got an question,what kind of game is it?
Looks to me like your suppose to drive 1000 miles, and there are ridiculous obstacles that are in your way.(Basicly You play mini games)

Actually it's based off a superb card game by the same name. The card game is normally played by between 2-4 players, and can get pretty heated pretty quickly. "Honey, you know I love you right?" - right before giving the other player an accident.

The game includes 2 modes of play, as well as single player and single-card multiplayer. The two modes are classic - which emulates the original card game to a T. Then there's special mode, which adds different things you can't do with cards, such as: your opponent hits you with a flat tire, you must blow into the microphone to inflate the tire, but don't go too far or it will explode. It also introduces mystery cards that can be used to improve yourself or hurt your opponents, with random effects. Sadly, multiplayer mode does not support Special mode, which was something I was really looking forward to trying when I started to learn what the Special mode options were.

All in all, quite fun, but it was only in French, hence the reason I'm doing this (well I'm doing it for my wife as her favorite card game in the world is Mille Bornes, and most times we're somewhere out and about, she has her DS, but not a big pack of cards).

Before this, the Special mode was all but unplayable if you didn't know French... now with the tutorial translated, as well as the special cards explained all in english, this should be quite playable by most people (the menu is still in French, but a few button presses and it's pretty obvious what everything does).

I'm going to further edit the first post to give more information as to what the menu structure is... I know what each item is, just haven't been able to fix the images to use in the game. With that, at the least, pretty much everything will be understandable.

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Was this the game about the movie in which some guys' friend died and they had to bury him in Italy or something? If it was that, it was quite good.

Nope... it's about a card game from France of the same name. It literally means, 1000 terminals or 1000 markers, which equates to 1000 KM or Miles, depending upon your version of the card game. As of right now, It all says KM in the game, so I'm leaving it at that.

The card game is a basic 2-4 player card game that has 2 teams of players (or 2 players) racing to the end of a 1000 KM course. Along the way you can stop your opponent with numerous different attacks, fix those attacks if done to you using remedies, and then use safeties which are permanent fixes for those problems. Just a basic card game that is incredibly fun.

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, worked out the last of the French .txt files, now any further edits to the .txt files will only be for further clarification, if any is needed, or for any typos I may have inserted. Updating the original post now.

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:
I might have a US deck of these around, don't remember. Wasn't a pretty good Commodore 64 version out there? I seem to recall playing one years ago.
My wife and I play quite often - any time we're not sitting down watching TV, a movie, or doing something on the web (which is usually every 3 or 4 days). We have a deck that is, sadly, missing a couple of cards now. We've played so much 2 player that the cards that are to be removed from the deck in a 2 player game have gone completely missing. Starting to worry about that, but beyond that we've been using the DS game to play instead. Faster turnaround time, more accurate keeping of score, and aside from accidentally throwing away a card instead of playing it, it's been an all around very good experience. Just wish I could get special mode to work (though I haven't tested it with 3 players yet).

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Probably a stupid question, but how do you execute a Coup Fourré in this game?? I've tried dragging the Safety card to my card tab, to the main playfield, everywhere except the discard pile... I'm assuming it may have something to do with the mic but haven't figured it out yet...

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm, this seems interesting O___O" A nice change to see something that isn't a Japanese > English translation, lol

Sadly I've never heard of this game, or anything with this name.. o__o"

bason230

Trophies
XP
Country
Since I'm more or less french, I could explain some things I guess.
This game is normally a table game, and I've never actually played it, but I think you are supposed to reach something. That's what I was taught, if I remember well enough. You are supposed to throw dices for a reason, and there's cards to use too. I wonder how it would turn out in a DS Cartridge.

takieda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dole said:
Probably a stupid question, but how do you execute a Coup Fourré in this game?? I've tried dragging the Safety card to my card tab, to the main playfield, everywhere except the discard pile... I'm assuming it may have something to do with the mic but haven't figured it out yet...

Yes, at the right moment, you have to say "Coupe Forre" (pronounced "koo for ay") into the Mic.

bason230Since I'm more or less french, I could explain some things I guess.
This game is normally a table game, and I've never actually played it, but I think you are supposed to reach something. That's what I was taught, if I remember well enough. You are supposed to throw dices for a reason, and there's cards to use too. I wonder how it would turn out in a DS Cartridge.

The basic rules of the game are:
You need to make a trip of exactly 1000 miles/kilometers/stones/markers, before your opponent(s) do so. You first have to play a Green Light/Roll card. You then play mileage cards that send you 25, 50, 75, 100, or 200 miles, based on the face value of the card. You also can stop your opponent(s) by playing hazard cards, such as a flat tire, out of gas, accident, or stop card, or hamper their movement by playing a 50MPH Speed Limit card. Should your opponent stop you by using any of these hazard cards you must first lay a remedy card, such as Spare Tire, Gas, or Repairs card, and then another Roll card to get you moving again (if you're only stopped, you only need to lay one Roll card).

There are also Safety cards, which stop the hazard cards permanently, such as Puncture Proof Tires, Extra Tank, Ace Driver, and everyone's favorite, Right of Way (clearly the best card of the game, not only does it give you constant Roll (while another hazard card isn't in play), it also keeps the opponent from playing speed limit cards on you.

Get to the end before your opponent and you win... this round anyway. You see the games are played for points, and you have to win so many points before the opponent to win the game itself. You get points for every mile you play, for the safety cards you play, for achieving certain things in the game, etc..

You get 1000 points automatically for the cards you play when you complete a trip. You also get 400 points for completing the trip, as an added bonus. You get 100 points per safety card when you play then, as well as an additional 300 points IF you play the card as a Coupe Forre. A Coupe Forre is played ONLY on your opponent's turn, when they try to play a hazard card on you, AND you have the exact safety card to fix it at the time that it is played. You then declare, Coupe Forre, play the Safety Card, and it's like nothing has happened. You don't have to play a Roll card again, and it is immediately your turn.

Further points are granted for: 400 points for a safe trip (no 200 mile cards are played), 400 points extra for playing all four safeties, 400 points for a shut out bonus (the opponent(s) don't play one mileage card during the trip). etc...

I know I'm futzing the rules a bit, and there are further rules, as well as house rules that can be played on the standard card game.

I hope my partial translation is making the game playable for everybody. I still haven't managed to fix the graphics in the game to say anything in english, the tools I have at my disposal keep messing up the graphics terribly.

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking for a good Mille Bornes game. I have a few on the iPhone and it's not the same. The kids and I play the card game and love it. I'm going to try your translation so far with hopes that you will be completing it.

Keep up the good work.

BobBuilder17

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
Sorry because it's a 9 yo topic ! I'm playing that game everyday and I'd love to tweak it because some things do suck.
I've been editing the text (French text is not great, that's a very kiddy translation), but I've been trying to edit with no success the graphics. I use mainly Tinke, tried CT2, but I can't open any graphics ; everything is distorded, palettes are wrong (1 line for palette, it looks weird to me), and I can't find any BPP matching.

@OP, how did you handle the graphics ?

By the way, I'm French, if anyone is interested, that's very easy to translate.

Tell me also if a new topic would be better. Thanks a lot !!

Reactions: RedL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj