Hacking Euro DSi Blocks AK2i

Assassin2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Found this on a site not sure if any one has seen this but not good news for AK2i users.
"Getting their DSi unit a few days earlier than the most of Europe, German website Nintendo-Online reports that the latest DS unit is meaner with flashcarts than the Japanese version.
According to their report, an Acekard 2i which they've tested with their European DSi no longer works, as compared to when they tested it on the Japanese model where it's still functional. Interestingly enough, it's the Acekard 2i which first hacked the Japanese DSi.
It's still uncertain whether other flashcarts are also being blocked by the European DSi".

Link To Site

B

ball2012003

this sucks
if it happened to the Europe version
its definitely going to happen to the US relese
hope cyclo ds releases a flashcart that works on the Eur US dsi

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
acekard was the first to go public with the exploit, but not the first flash kit company to hack it. you had to have seen this coming. nintendo just used the japanese dsi as a target for all the hackers to attack. now they know all the exploits and unpaid hackers did all the work for them.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
ball2012003 said:
this sucks
if it happened to the Europe version
its definitely going to happen to the US relese
hope cyclo ds releases a flashcart that works on the Eur US dsi

even if they do, to what ends? it will run ds stuff sure but not dsi. i don't see the dsi features and the lookup signature table being hacked anytime soon. i really don't see the point. if i get a dsi it will be for what the dsi can do, and not for the slim change that one day i'll be playing a better build of scummvmds on it.

-another world

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got pretty disappointed when I read this since I was really excited to know if the AceKard 2i would work with the DSi.

I am happy I still have my DS Lite here. It has a broken hinge, but I will send it to Nintendo to get it fixed. I don't plan on repairing it myself, and at least I will be fully sure about my choice. And then I will have a AceKard 2.1 + My White DS Lite.

Once the DSi gets cheaper (lets say $150) then I will get it. I will do a little research and see if I can find a flashcart for it. If there is none, then I will just end up using actual DS games on it. Or... I could just stick with my DSi + DS Games.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i read somewhere that nintendo stopped replacing the broken hinges. but that 1800 number is free, so it's worth the call to find out. i honestly think my next system (very shortly) will be a psp2000. i've wanted to hack it and play my psx gams on it for sometime.

i'd get a dsi when it's hacked or the dsi specific games look THAT sweet. it isn't very often that i'm that impressed with a nds game as it is. but you never know...

-another world

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what! Thats lame i just sold my lite so I could aim toward a DSi... T_T now i might be flashcardless for a long time

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
shadowhunter93 said:
what! Thats lame i just sold my lite so I could aim toward a DSi... T_T now i might be flashcardless for a long time
Buy waht you like original and then a new flashcard will rise from nowhere that will play anyrhing!

vertabray

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I knew this was going to happen so I got a real copy of GTA CW for this very point!

That baby should keep me going until new flashcards hit the market.

Cant wait to get my DSi next Thursday!
smile.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Possible, but not likely. It is more possible they fixed a hardware based flaw that was letting most i flashcarts work (and even more possible they just updated some software to check for things that the new cards do/have that retail games don't.) It could well be possible that the situation is similar to the new wii's that are coming to market, where the initial boot code which isn't touched once the unit is manufactured needs to be updated to block new soft hacks.

Wonder if anyone has tried that R4 or DSTT clone (or whatever it was) on the new models, the card that used a full game dump to try and appear as real as possible to the DSi.

Seems to me they have staggered the releases for just this reason though (to block new flashcarts and clear the retail channel of as many xmas DSLite sales as they could.) I for one am not worried about DSi in the least (don't want one, no gba slot) - but I do believe enough is known about how DS cards work that DS mode will remain relatively open no matter what changes they make short of scrapping the DS model entirely in favor of new security and new/unknown delivery methods.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
acekard was the first to go public with the exploit, but not the first flash kit company to hack it. you had to have seen this coming. nintendo just used the japanese dsi as a target for all the hackers to attack. now they know all the exploits and unpaid hackers did all the work for them.

-another world
Fools. However, those who haven't released their i-series cards, like the M3 Team, still have a shot to impress us when the DSi hits North America and Europe.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say fools. For all one would know, their main purpose was just to grab money while they can. And I'm quite sure they got a few of us in this thread, :]

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
Possible, but not likely. It is more possible they fixed a hardware based flaw that was letting most i flashcarts work (and even more possible they just updated some software to check for things that the new cards do/have that retail games don't.) It could well be possible that the situation is similar to the new wii's that are coming to market, where the initial boot code which isn't touched once the unit is manufactured needs to be updated to block new soft hacks.

Wonder if anyone has tried that R4 or DSTT clone (or whatever it was) on the new models, the card that used a full game dump to try and appear as real as possible to the DSi.

Seems to me they have staggered the releases for just this reason though (to block new flashcarts and clear the retail channel of as many xmas DSLite sales as they could.) I for one am not worried about DSi in the least (don't want one, no gba slot) - but I do believe enough is known about how DS cards work that DS mode will remain relatively open no matter what changes they make short of scrapping the DS model entirely in favor of new security and new/unknown delivery methods.

Don't overestimate their desire to stamp out piracy - the staggered release was more likely to observe how the Japanese market responds to the DSi's release, in addition to getting some launch software and DSi store infrastructure tested and working. In addition, production of enough DSis for the launch takes time, so releasing worldwide simultaneously would have deprived Nintendo of valuable marketing and sales data, while delaying the Japanese launch until enough DSis were available for all three major regions.

However, the staggered release has definitely provided a useful tool for Nintendo to delay flashcart use in newer DSis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k