Euro DSi Blocks AK2i

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Assassin2k, Mar 25, 2009.

Mar 25, 2009

Euro DSi Blocks AK2i by Assassin2k at 12:33 AM (10,426 Views / 0 Likes) 64 replies

1. Assassin2k
    OP

Newcomer Assassin2k Newbie

United Kingdom
    Found this on a site not sure if any one has seen this but not good news for AK2i users.
    "Getting their DSi unit a few days earlier than the most of Europe, German website Nintendo-Online reports that the latest DS unit is meaner with flashcarts than the Japanese version.
    According to their report, an Acekard 2i which they've tested with their European DSi no longer works, as compared to when they tested it on the Japanese model where it's still functional. Interestingly enough, it's the Acekard 2i which first hacked the Japanese DSi.
    It's still uncertain whether other flashcarts are also being blocked by the European DSi".

Link To Site

2. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

this sucks
    if it happened to the Europe version
    its definitely going to happen to the US relese
    hope cyclo ds releases a flashcart that works on the Eur US dsi

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    acekard was the first to go public with the exploit, but not the first flash kit company to hack it. you had to have seen this coming. nintendo just used the japanese dsi as a target for all the hackers to attack. now they know all the exploits and unpaid hackers did all the work for them.

-another world

4. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    NO iDS card work(out of the one that have been released) on the new FW the come on the US/Euro DSi

it is nothing, new most people know it would happen

5. Another World

Colombia
    even if they do, to what ends? it will run ds stuff sure but not dsi. i don't see the dsi features and the lookup signature table being hacked anytime soon. i really don't see the point. if i get a dsi it will be for what the dsi can do, and not for the slim change that one day i'll be playing a better build of scummvmds on it.

-another world

6. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    I got pretty disappointed when I read this since I was really excited to know if the AceKard 2i would work with the DSi.

I am happy I still have my DS Lite here. It has a broken hinge, but I will send it to Nintendo to get it fixed. I don't plan on repairing it myself, and at least I will be fully sure about my choice. And then I will have a AceKard 2.1 + My White DS Lite.

Once the DSi gets cheaper (lets say $150) then I will get it. I will do a little research and see if I can find a flashcart for it. If there is none, then I will just end up using actual DS games on it. Or... I could just stick with my DSi + DS Games.

7. Another World

Colombia
    i read somewhere that nintendo stopped replacing the broken hinges. but that 1800 number is free, so it's worth the call to find out. i honestly think my next system (very shortly) will be a psp2000. i've wanted to hack it and play my psx gams on it for sometime.

i'd get a dsi when it's hacked or the dsi specific games look THAT sweet. it isn't very often that i'm that impressed with a nds game as it is. but you never know...

-another world

8. Nintendude92

Member Nintendude92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm going to assume that this can't be fixed with an update.

9. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    what! Thats lame i just sold my lite so I could aim toward a DSi... T_T now i might be flashcardless for a long time

10. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Greece
    Buy waht you like original and then a new flashcard will rise from nowhere that will play anyrhing!

11. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    What Nintendo stopped replacing broken hinges!?

Not cool... xP

12. Another World

Colombia
    i've been telling people for months not to buy the dsi yet. no one listens. =P

you never know whats going to happen once it is released in n. america.

-another world

13. vertabray

Member vertabray GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I knew this was going to happen so I got a real copy of GTA CW for this very point!

That baby should keep me going until new flashcards hit the market.

Cant wait to get my DSi next Thursday! [​IMG]

14. SoLuckys

Member SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Cyprus
    No way, i was hoping to buy a dsi and i bought an Ak2i and it wont be working on it? This suxs. Fortunately i kept my DS lites [​IMG]

15. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    That's why I told people to WAIT until the DSi was released elsewhere and early reports came in.

16. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Is it possible it's just because of the region lock?

17. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Possible, but not likely. It is more possible they fixed a hardware based flaw that was letting most i flashcarts work (and even more possible they just updated some software to check for things that the new cards do/have that retail games don't.) It could well be possible that the situation is similar to the new wii's that are coming to market, where the initial boot code which isn't touched once the unit is manufactured needs to be updated to block new soft hacks.

Wonder if anyone has tried that R4 or DSTT clone (or whatever it was) on the new models, the card that used a full game dump to try and appear as real as possible to the DSi.

Seems to me they have staggered the releases for just this reason though (to block new flashcarts and clear the retail channel of as many xmas DSLite sales as they could.) I for one am not worried about DSi in the least (don't want one, no gba slot) - but I do believe enough is known about how DS cards work that DS mode will remain relatively open no matter what changes they make short of scrapping the DS model entirely in favor of new security and new/unknown delivery methods.

18. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Fools. However, those who haven't released their i-series cards, like the M3 Team, still have a shot to impress us when the DSi hits North America and Europe.

19. Ballistic

Member Ballistic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wouldn't say fools. For all one would know, their main purpose was just to grab money while they can. And I'm quite sure they got a few of us in this thread, :]

20. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't overestimate their desire to stamp out piracy - the staggered release was more likely to observe how the Japanese market responds to the DSi's release, in addition to getting some launch software and DSi store infrastructure tested and working. In addition, production of enough DSis for the launch takes time, so releasing worldwide simultaneously would have deprived Nintendo of valuable marketing and sales data, while delaying the Japanese launch until enough DSis were available for all three major regions.

However, the staggered release has definitely provided a useful tool for Nintendo to delay flashcart use in newer DSis.