Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 18, 2017.

1. sks316

sks316 GBAtemp's Mewtwo

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Alola
    Man, would Keemstar love this. #DramaAlert

2. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Some of you may not care about other cultures and think this means nothing, but Nintendo has to deal with the bigger picture, and such a gesture can likely lead to issues such a ratings and whatnot with the various regions.

3. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Question for any programmers out there. Is it possible to run animations client-side? As in, when playing multiplayer, your system simply gets told to play an animation, and the system itself chooses the animation to run?

Would it have been possible to just censor this by checking the region that the player is in, and if it registers as EU (where this would be considered offensive), to play the replacement animation, while if it registers anywhere that doesn't consider it a problem, it runs the original animation? If you play online against somebody in the EU while you're in the US, for example, while you both get the generic "play animation" command, the EU player sees the edited animation, while the US player sees the original animation?

You know that there's going to be an uproar over unnecessary censorship, so you would think that a system like this would minimize it as much as possible while still allowing any edits to be made in the appropriate countries.

4. scottydog27

scottydog27 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2014
    United States
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    seriously this game is made with children in mind and I grantee you the only thing the new generation might now is the middle finger they wont now or care about any other gesture hell I can think of 4 gesture you can do that are some sort of swearing but only now what the middle finger means and I in my 30s I bet children who play now don't now more then that one sign
    why don't we stop censoring stuff that is already dieing out and prolonging the reason behind the ignorence that makes them offensive
    its only the adults who see this stuff and get upset that makes it censored the kids could care less about a hand gesture or a person in skimpy cloths they only care if the game is fun so parents take your insecuritys and keep them out of other peoples homes who arnt as uptight

Last edited by scottydog27, May 18, 2017
    NintendU_the_great likes this.
  5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    in my made up language, which is legitimate as any other language Mario means goat fuc*er........guess it's time to get offended and demand the whole series is rebranded

Xiphiidae and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Fan

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    This is extremely offensive in certain countries and yet it wasn't censored... I wonder if that is because the offended snowflakes defending this nowadays were just mere spoiled brats at the time:rolleyes:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Pachee, May 18, 2017 - Reason: d*
  7. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    I don't even understand why this is on the front page. It's just an animation that could be interpreted as vulgar and it seems that people are more offended by the animation change than people recognizing the first animation as vulgar.
    I know that Nintendo goes "yolo" sometime with censorship, but this... it's just crying and complaining over nothing.

For this game specifically, I believe you can, since the game resources are local and not server side. The mario kart 7 's server was only here to interpret what client were sending to him and share with the others clients. That's why cheating was easy.
    And I don't think Nintendo took care of dealing with this kind of "details" for MK8.
    Edit: though it's on Switch, you need to be able to apply handmade patch (not possible for the moment). But this detail gone, you'll be free to do so.

Generally, server sided game (mmo, online fps, etc) try to deal with a maximum of things server side so client cannot touch it.
    Examples? Early days of dofus, each time you connected your account, some data where send to the client and stock here (RAM) so you could modify them and resend the value to the server.
    Defiance, a MMO tps, decided that it was intelligent to stock weapons data client side... resulting on people modifying their data, weapons damages/spread/...
    But a good part of MMO let weapon/armor/... skin client side, so you can mod it (it does not have a real influence in game except for looking so.....). That's how a "uncensored patch" went live for Tera.

Last edited by Molina, May 18, 2017
  8. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

And by "We can do it", I mean "fuck you".

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    tl;dr: Nintendo tried to go for this but it looked too much like this so they replaced it with this, and now some people are up in arms* about it.

*pun

jarbar3000, Xiphiidae, 'Don and 3 others like this.
  10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    What's really bizarre is that the gesture could also be considered to be referencing a very famous wartime propaganda poster, that has over the years become synonymous with the feminist movement...

[​IMG]

totally didn't see this before I posted :wacko:

Last edited by duwen, May 18, 2017
  11. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    @anhminh did a double ninja'd without knowing it. :rofl2:

12. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Oh Nintendo.....

13. NintendU_the_great

NintendU_the_great OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER

Banned
    Oct 4, 2015
    India
    in yer toilet!
    now THIS Should have been the OP
    (original post)

14. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    You know, I kind of want to see what happens if we were to tell some of those "Kill-all-men" internet feminists that Nintendo's doing this as an anti-feminist message, just to see how Nintendo reacts. If it stays removed, Nintendo has to deal with potential outrage. If it gets put back in, Nintendo has to deal with potential outrage.

Kind of turn the whole politically-correct thing in on itself to watch it implode.

'Don and Pachee like this.
  15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    I agree. It could turn out to be the only time Anita Sarkeesian's interference has any sort of positive outcome.

16. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Fan

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    Who would have thought at the time that in 2017 fear of offending somebody somewhere would be ruling over common sense.
    [​IMG]
    Getting offended by the Japanese hard work gesture seems to be a new low for the modern "Multicultural" western society. :rolleyes:

17. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Yo there's a difference between them pulling back something for "fear of causing offence", and people actually saying they're offended. The latter hasn't actually happened to any noticeable degree AFAIK.

Pachee likes this.
  18. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Just because it's fiction doesn't mean it's not gonna piss people off. You can be angry about this all you want, but your feelings just don't matter as much as the people that are offended. The reason is obvious; there are far more sales to lose by NOT removing the gesture. Period.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  19. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    On another note it's so funny how much people are taking this to be a general debate about censorship and freedom and what have you. Chill the **** out people, and save your breath for a discussion where it actually matters. :D

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Pardon my high level of perversion if anything, but for some reason I see that picture and I can only read "I will fist you!" on it.

Tomato Hentai and Tomy Sakazaki like this.