Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 18, 2017.

1. GreenTees

GreenTees Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2016
    United States
    Do people not know that Rosie the Riveter was doing that as a subtle hint to "Screw the establishment" because of gender norms? The reason why it said "We can do it" and that motion was shown, was because they were saying "We can do it, and F*** you if you think we can't because we're women."

Also, as a side note: This isn't the only time something like this had to be changed, even with Nintendo. Left 4 Dead 2 had a boxart cover difference in Europe. The boxart looked like a zombie's hand holding out two fingers to represent "2" similar to how the original boxart had a hand outward as if it were raising up. The European boxart however, had to flip the hand to show the palm since in European countries, showing what is the peace sign but with your knuckles outward was like flipping the bird.

However, I think that the next update should instead revoke this removal, and then add more offensive gestures as well as characters swearing at each other upon getting hit or bumped off the map. It'd be very realistic to how most people in Tennessee are.

2. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
  3. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    ahh, dam, why couldn't they do like they have before like with in paper mario or mario party I think it was that for the american version they left the word spastic in but in the euro version it is replaced, don't remember what game specifically but it was some scene on a train, that and maybe let us switch between region versions ;3 I didn't really see it as offensive even being right here in america myself right next to good old chirac, but dang, sad to see the cry babys running out already, not you crystal but the ones who got it removed

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

who are kiddin, even us up by Chicago play that way XD snes rainbow road for life

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Censorship is weird.

jt_1258 likes this.
  5. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    so.....
    can anyone tell me what exactly about it was offensive?

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I mean, we in the US didn't realize the cover on Left 4 Dead 2 was offensive in the UK
    Left4Dead2.jpg Left_4_Dead_2_UK_cover.png
    It's obvious the gesture doesn't mean the same thing in Japan as it does in the US, so they didn't pay it any mind.
    In the US it basically mean, "Up yours."

7. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    That's why we have localization teams. It's their job to prevent things like this from happening.

8. jt_1258

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    I'm sure pictures have been already posted in here but for those just showing up, they simply have her keep her left arm on the wheel, otherwise it's the same, tbh it's not that bad the changes
    Screenshot_2017-05-18-07-45-43.png Screenshot_2017-05-18-07-46-24.png

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I would recommend adding pictures of what it looks like after the update

Last edited by jt_1258, May 18, 2017
  9. Enteking

Enteking Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2016
    United States
    I hate this stupid censorship. It destroys a piece of art. If people feel offended they should visit a doctor.

10. bladerx

bladerx GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    Sto. Dgo., Dominican Republic
    I miss the days when you could say or do something without some random person feeling offended.

11. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    Deemed offensive you say? What's next, will people be offended by breathing?

12. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    [​IMG]?????

13. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    It is not offensive in Japan and probably nobody down the localization chain in US/EU and players cared about it, which makes insensate to censor it now. Likely this was done in fear of our classic upper class activist offended person that has too much free time on their hands. Another case of a company abiding to fear mongering without having received any public complaints, much like women who live under fear of hypothetical rape.
    Hysteria.

Nintendo should learn handle these things more intelligently, by first waiting for a formal complaint, like from a rating board, then censor it and give them exclusively the blame, so we know who are our enemies. That would be a good PR for them.

Last edited by Pachee, May 18, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I've never seen that gesture used to mean 'yes', demonstration of arm muscles or sex related but never 'yes'.

The update actually makes more sense in my book as a victory gesture....as long as the hand doesn't start moving side to side ;) .

15. jt_1258

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    and she
    how do you know shes not saying screw you asshole and laghing in octarian

16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    How do you know the previous gesture wasn't the middle finger times 1000 in octarian?

17. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    If I give you the middle finger, would you feel offended?

18. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Actually, she didn't say YES. She is saying a bad word in arm gesture, obviously. It is an offensive to some people. They can do whatever they wants to clean it up and not want to teach children that, you know.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, May 18, 2017
  19. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It's the same reason Nintendo censored the Sailor sprite in Generation 3.
    The original one in Japan had the same gesture:

Uncensored (JAP)
    [​IMG]

Censored (NA)
    [​IMG]

I find it rather reckless and ridiculous, but oh well, people bitch about everything and are so sensitive nowadays.
    Good thing the Church is not in charge of the law anymore or we would be getting chopped heads up the ass by now.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, May 18, 2017
    HaloEffect17 and Subtle Demise like this.
  20. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    I will act like the town arsehole and go:
    "Splatoon Girl"