Early Nintendo NX boot animation and logo found within Mario Kart 8 Deluxe prototype dump

saddasdasdasdasdas.png

Back in 2015, before Nintendo was ready to fully unveil the Nintendo Switch, the console was teased as the codename NX. Nintendo kept up the secrecy for a while, continually hyping the NX console for well over a year until they debuted the finalized system as the Switch in late 2016. After that, the NX joined the list of in-development Nintendo monikers such as Revolution and Cafe, never to be used again.

Now, years later, we get to refamiliarize ourselves with the NX, thanks to the leak of a prototype game. An early development build of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was dumped, with a build date two days prior to the reveal of the Switch's final name, which occurred on October 20, 2016. This supposed beta came from what is claimed to be an early EMMC ODIN board, with footage already uploaded to YouTube.

In addition to the Mario Kart 8 prototype, which has a debug menu and numerous in-development options, was a short boot animation. Many are familiar with the snap of Joy-Cons heard when you boot a Switch, but before that was the final design, Nintendo had a working NX logo and animation, which haven't been seen before. The MK8D prototype is already running on emulators via a patch, and is currently being datamined.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii u gamepad went basically unused even in first party titles
I took the Wii U GamePad for granted when I was playing Mario Kart 8 back then because I could have checked what other items the others had, and I didn't do that. I do that on Mario Kart 7 strategically.

It makes me chuckle when everyone stops or goes backwards to not be hit with the blue shell. :P

• Haha
Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should hold on to the Nintendo X name until their 10th console. Or they could call that the NinTENdo lol.
Post automatically merged:

Sadly it went the way of all Nintendo gimmicks. Every console they push some gimmick that becomes useless almost immediately, and every time I still think it will be used for something
Tell that to the Switch and it's main hybrid gimmick.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that they just decided to stick in a rough sketch before they got the renders of the Local Multiplayer toads is cute

It's rare that we get to see any modern prototype stuff from Nintendo since usually betas and debug builds are found like 20+ years after the fact this is really cool

Reactions: lattechan

SPAC3W4IFU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s actually a pretty rad looking logo, crazy how they even made the effort of animating it too.

Makes me wonder if they were initially deadset on calling it the NX before going with the Switch, if they went that far. Never saw Nintendo do this with their other prototype names before.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's prototype names are so much cooler than the final ones, imo.

Dolphin = GCN (I actually love they named it GameCube)
Revolution = Wii (Revolution would've been awesome)
WU = Wii U (bad, should've been named Wii Pro or something)
NX = Switch (not a bad name, it's catchy and memorable)
Tbh I would've given the Wii U a better dev name, like maybe Brewster or Beanbag (due to the general theme of coffee in the hardware names)

Reactions: SylverReZ

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you even still buy them? They were widely available on AliExpress for a year and then I never saw them again. I tried hard to find one before the OLED model came out but they were all either reballed retail boards or sellers lying about what they had passing off 32gb boards as 64gb boards.
Would be a good idea in case some turn up again (maybe second hand)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...