SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    This seemed to work well in the 3ds section, so let's try it here!

I've seen many threads asking the same question here, so to keep the forum clean, this is a place where you can ask any question, and get an answer from one of our fellow members.

There is no such thing as a dumb question here, just please read the FAQ before posting. On that note, members, please don't get annoyed if a person asks a basic question, you're here to help.

Here are some common questions. Look here before you ask.

Is there homebrew yet?
    Yes, but you have to be on 3.0.0 and there are currently only hello world scripts

Can i get free games?
    No

I'm on 3.0.0! Should i update?
    It depends, if you want homebrew, (and nes golf) don't update. If you want to play the latest games, play online, use the eshop, etc. Then yes, definitely update. Here's a list of games you can play if you choose not to update.

I'm on a firmware less than 3.0.0! What can i do?
    Homebrew only works on 3.0.0. If you are on anything less than 3.0.0 don't update using the tab in the system settings if you want homebrew. You can update to exactly 3.0.0 buy buying the poken dx cartridge and update when it prompts you too

Update Changelogs

if you have anything to add, let me know!

Some helpful links
    PSA: we don't know anything about homebrew or piracy on Switch
    Switch Hacking & Homebrew Discussion
    ProxSwitch
    ReSwitched Team Twitter Page
    kexploit for switch achieved by plutoo and friends *no release*
    Games required Firmware version
    [Tutorial] Setting up Pegaswitch and Preparing for Homebrew

Last edited by epickid37, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM
  2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
  3. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    I know its not hacking related, but why on earth wont my joycons charge when hooked up on the main device (but not plugged in the dock) ?

4. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
  5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It is so by design.
    In order not to drain the main battery.
    Why? Well, Nintendo though that was a good idea I guess.
    But that is the normal behaviour.

fatsquirrel likes this.
  6. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
  7. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    It'd definitely drain the battery quicker. That'd be a horrible idea if it worked like that.

fatsquirrel likes this.
  8. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
  9. teelo

teelo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    You forgot the most important one:

Q: Are you sure you can't at least link me to a video of a working hack?
    A: Oh allright, here you go.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That doesn't bother me much, what really annoys the fuck out of me is placing the charging port on the bottom. Makes it really awkward to use as a handheld device while charging.

iAqua likes this.
  10. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    But the docking would have been really awkward if it was anywhere else

11. JoFelix

JoFelix Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    Germany
    Squittgart
    I guess my question goes here ...?

If I have my Switch user profile pic set to my Mii, and it gets sent to someone else's Switch because we play together online, is it being sent as a "Mii building instruction" and rendered on the other person's Switch, or is it rendered on my Switch and sent as an image?

And if I have it set to any of the other profile pics, is only the "profile pic ID" being sent, or the actual image itself?

What I really want to know is, "Will Switch hacks ever allow us to have custom profile pics that people without hacks can see too?".

12. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    I believe it only sends the info, but it's actually a good thing if it's like that for custom pictures because if it'd send the rendered picture Nintendo would be able to see it also.

13. mendezagus

mendezagus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2017
    Argentina
    I have a hacking question about the posibility of playing backups (piracy) of >3.0 games. I´m aware of the other threds (read them all) but i need a little bit of clarification to finally got this:

A kernel hack (for example the last development by plutoo) won´t allow it, right? Because we´ll need to decrypt newer games and ninthendo could change this encryprion at will in a 5.0, 6.0, etc update.

BUT if hacking groups find an exploit in the bootroom they dumped last week it would be possible, correct? Morover this would exploit would be apliable on switches ANY firmware .... but not forever because nintendo can patch the bootrom via an update also.

Can anyone confirm if i understood this correcly??. Thanks in advance.

14. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Right now we don't even know anything to begin with. But yes, same with the 3DS. It's all about they keys to be able to play the newer games. A hacked bootloader could in theory make it easier to get a hold of the new Cryptokeys. However, it seems like Nintendo can update the Switch bootloader, so it might not be as easy as it sounds.

15. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Kinda scared to click on that link. I assume it's good ol' Rick?:rofl2: in all seriousness, I am trying to keep this post on the more serious side of the equation

16. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    *snip*

Last edited by epickid37, Nov 10, 2017
  17. epickid37
    OP

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    *snip*

Last edited by epickid37, Nov 10, 2017
  18. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Kexploit doesn't help you here (not directly anyway), kexploit helps us get closer to running our own code and enabling CFW. But CFW doesn't solve any of the problems pertaining to or enabling new software to being back-up loaded. New software is all dependent on finding the encryption keys for the software and using that to decrypt the games ourselves then loading them to a compromised Switch with a loader. The Switch <=3.0.0, can decrypt and read (hence the dumped decrypted games all being 'mysteriously' from games at or under 3.0.0 compliance) old titles from before 3.0.1 was released and encryption changes across the board.

It's likely going to be easier to find entry points in newer firmware to then dump decrypted games, than to hope that we somehow find new keys.

Nintendo can irreversibly patch and change the keys on the bootloader, so a boothack would be temporary.

And, again, none of this will ever change the fact that every Switch is hardware burned with a unique identifier, so you will forever be unable to access online without risk of permanent blacklisting.

Notnagel and peteruk like this.
  19. mendezagus

mendezagus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2017
    Argentina
    Thank you so much for your answer V-Temp and linuxares, this is what i got wrong:

I thought hacking the bootloader (this is done via the bootrom dump if i understand correcly) could grant access to cryptokeys for future games. Now i understand that even in this situation nintendo could change the encription at "bootloader level" in future updates. In simpler words: there could never be a master key with nintendo constantly changing the locks. Even a botthack would be temporary.

This hacking scene is so interesting. I did´t know (as you can see in my many previous posts) a single thing about informatic security but i learned a lot with these forums. Great community here.

epickid37 and Notnagel like this.
  20. JoFelix

JoFelix Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2017
    Germany
    Squittgart
    Also another question: Is anyone (not necessarily end users) currently able to dump non-cartridge games?