Mario Kart 7 gets vague new update patch more than a decade after its release

sdasdadsadsada.png

When it comes to Mario Kart titles getting current updates, you might imagine either Mario Kart Tour or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Instead, Nintendo has just put out a brand new patch for Mario Kart 7, on the Nintendo 3DS. Given the fact that Mario Kart 7 is over a decade old, and its last patch was in 2012, this new 1.2 update has those who still use play 3DS systems a little confused--especially given the vague patch notes.

Several issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience.

For reference, patch 1.1 offered a handful of specific exploit fixes, and was released all the way back on May 15, 2012.

:arrow: Source

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On December 13, 2022, a new software update for Mario Kart 7 became available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Nintendo Switch console is connected to the internet.
Wow, really?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So does this fix https://github.com/PabloMK7/kartdlphax ?

No, but it appears an online RCE exploit was fixed. I'm not sure if the RCE and kartDlpHax are related in any way.

EDIT: Still works on 1.2 as well, my first run was just a random crash. I still hold firm that they patched online RCE, I don't see any purpose to this patch if they didn't.

Last edited by zoogie,

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
So does this fix https://github.com/PabloMK7/kartdlphax ?

Well yes and no. Yes in that it should keep stock users safe from the exploit since they're forced to update to 1.2 to play online. And no, because with the public version of the exploit (the good, homebrew-enabling kind), we can just reject the update and use 1.1 to hack the target system, just like before.

If Nintendo wants to fix kartDlpHax completely, they will need a system firmware update to do so. It will require more extensive fixes than just having a min version check for mk7, because the hacked host system can just patch it out. The hope is that Nintendo will be satisfied by just fixing online RCE.
Ah, thank you for finally being able to provide an answer! If you can, you should contact Nintendo Homebrew to update the guide to include a step instructing users to delete the update if they've downloaded it.

EDIT: sad, the information in the original post ended up not being accurate

Last edited by Dionicio3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol