Mario Kart 7 gets vague new update patch more than a decade after its release

sdasdadsadsada.png

When it comes to Mario Kart titles getting current updates, you might imagine either Mario Kart Tour or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Instead, Nintendo has just put out a brand new patch for Mario Kart 7, on the Nintendo 3DS. Given the fact that Mario Kart 7 is over a decade old, and its last patch was in 2012, this new 1.2 update has those who still use play 3DS systems a little confused--especially given the vague patch notes.

Several issues have been addressed to improve the gameplay experience.

For reference, patch 1.1 offered a handful of specific exploit fixes, and was released all the way back on May 15, 2012.

:arrow: Source

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but when you realize, I was still in grade school when MK7 came out. I didn't know how to mod shit.
I was sprite replacing already existing games many many years ago before I even knew how to do actual ROM hacking.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like the guy above me said, Waluigi is a fucking chad. Also, Honey Queen, Lakitu, Wiggler, and Metal Mario got to be in the game but not our man Waluigi :unsure: despite the fact he had been in Double Dash, Wii, and DS prior to MK7
imo, Metal Mario and Lakitu deserve to be playable due to how iconic they are, and Wiggler at least has a reason to, being a well known enemy since SMW, and also a major boss in multiple games prior (SM64, SMS & M&L:BIS). Honey Queen on the other hand has absolutely no reason to be included, only having a minor appearance in SMG & SMG2

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo, Metal Mario and Lakitu deserve to be playable due to how iconic they are, and Wiggler at least has a reason to, being a well known enemy since SMW, and also a major boss in multiple games prior (SM64, SMS & M&L:BIS). Honey Queen on the other hand has absolutely no reason to be included, only having a minor appearance in SMG & SMG2
I disagree. I do like Metal Mario, but I'm not sure if it was necessary to include him. Lakitu I could do without, ESPECIALLY since he's already in the game as the guy who starts races and pulls racers back on to the track. He's always had a sidelines position, such as in SM64 as the cameraman and Mario Super Sluggers as the umpire. It doesn't make sense to have him be the race referee and also a racer. As for Wiggler, I don't mind him being a character, but I still think Waluigi should have been included before him. And as for Honey Queen, I actually don't mind her being in the game. Call me weird but I like it when they give a playable role to random game-specific characters like that. That's why Petey Piranha got as popular as he did. They reused him for Mario Kart and sports titles

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I do like Metal Mario, but I'm not sure if it was necessary to include him.
It probably wasn't necessary to include him as his own character, but it makes perfect sense to include him as an alt of Mario (which unfortunately isn't a thing MK7 did)
Lakitu I could do without, ESPECIALLY since he's already in the game as the guy who starts races and pulls racers back on to the track. He's always had a sidelines position, such as in SM64 as the cameraman and Mario Super Sluggers as the umpire. It doesn't make sense to have him be the race referee and also a racer.
I'd argue since he's been an enemy since SMB1, that's enough of a good reason to include him. However if that isn't enough for you, him being the cameraman in SM64 is pretty cool for the lore, and he's even responsible for waking up Yoshi and informing him of the fate of the other characters in SM64DS. Additionally, Lakitu isn't a single character, there's multiple of them. The playable racer and the nonplayable aren't even the same, with the playable one having a red shell and the nonplayable one having a green one.
As for Wiggler, I don't mind him being a character, but I still think Waluigi should have been included before him.
The common belief is that it wasn't Wiggler that replaced Waluigi, but rather Honey Queen
And as for Honey Queen, I actually don't mind her being in the game. Call me weird but I like it when they give a playable role to random game-specific characters like that. That's why Petey Piranha got as popular as he did. They reused him for Mario Kart and sports titles
It's cool to have niche characters playable, yes. But at the expense of more established characters? Absolutely not. Also, Petey Piranha isn't a game specific character, he's a boss in SMS, Mario Pinball Land, Super Princess Peach, M&L: PiT, NSMB, and even Smash Brawl.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably wasn't necessary to include him as his own character, but it makes perfect sense to include him as an alt of Mario (which unfortunately isn't a thing MK7 did)

I'd argue since he's been an enemy since SMB1, that's enough of a good reason to include him. However if that isn't enough for you, him being the cameraman in SM64 is pretty cool for the lore, and he's even responsible for waking up Yoshi and informing him of the fate of the other characters in SM64DS. Additionally, Lakitu isn't a single character, there's multiple of them. The playable racer and the nonplayable aren't even the same, with the playable one having a red shell and the nonplayable one having a green one.

The common belief is that it wasn't Wiggler that replaced Waluigi, but rather Honey Queen

It's cool to have niche characters playable, yes. But at the expense of more established characters? Absolutely not. Also, Petey Piranha isn't a game specific character, he's a boss in SMS, Mario Pinball Land, Super Princess Peach, M&L: PiT, NSMB, and even Smash Brawl.
I was referring to the fact that Petey had one appearance in Mario Sunshine which was his debut, then he was included in other games because he was popular.
Also, it isn't really for anyone to say who exactly "replaced" Waluigi. All we know is that those characters were included and he wasn't.

And for Lakitu, he still has a nice spot as a race referee. I don't know why they had to randomly create a red-shelled variant to make him a playable character on top of his referee status. Seems unnecessary.

I do agree that Waluigi should have been included instead of Honey Queen. Hell I'd trade Metal Mario, Lakitu, Wiggler, and Honey Queen for him. But I suppose this just goes back to the old "Nintendo Hates Waluigi" trope.

Also, off topic, but it sucks that out of Wiggler, Honey Queen, and Lakitu, only Lakitu was carried over to MK8D. Seriously, he's my least favorite out of the three. Being a referee, cameraman, and umpire suits him well enough

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to the fact that Petey had one appearance in Mario Sunshine which was his debut, then he was included in other games because he was popular.
He was popular because he's a boss fight in Sunshine twice, with the first one being required to do. Honey Queen is only required as a minor role in the first mission of Honeyhive Galaxy, she can be completely avoided for the entire game until the credits, where she again only makes a minor appearance.
And for Lakitu, he still has a nice spot as a race referee. I don't know why they had to randomly create a red-shelled variant to make him a playable character on top of his referee status. Seems unnecessary.
Same reason you provided for Petey, popularity.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was popular because he's a boss fight in Sunshine twice, with the first one being required to do. Honey Queen is only required as a minor role in the first mission of Honeyhive Galaxy, she can be completely avoided for the entire game until the credits, where she again only makes a minor appearance.

Same reason you provided for Petey, popularity.
If our chat proves anything, it's that Petey Piranha should have taken Honey Queen's spot in MK7. Still, I have no idea why Waluigi was forgone. They even included Waluigi Pinball for crying out loud.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
If our chat proves anything, it's that Petey Piranha should have taken Honey Queen's spot in MK7. Still, I have no idea why Waluigi was forgone. They even included Waluigi Pinball for crying out loud.
The main point I'm trying to make is that Honey Queen *should not* be in MK7 and *does not* deserve to be playable in it. I don't care who they would've chose over her, Waluigi, Petey Piranha, hell even a basic but well established enemy like a Hammer Bro would've been fine, just not the stupid bee.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main point I'm trying to make is that Honey Queen *should not* be in MK7 and *does not* deserve to be playable in it. I don't care who they would've chose over her, Waluigi, Petey Piranha, hell even a basic but well established enemy like a Hammer Bro would've been fine, just not the stupid bee.
ok. well my initial main point is that Waluigi should have been included in MK7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4