Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 18, 2017.

1. rotomington

rotomington Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2016
    Fun fact: This is a VERY obscene gesture in italy, the equivilent of flipping someone the bird. No wonder the hand was removed

Tomato Hentai and yuyuyup like this.

2. NintendU_the_great

NintendU_the_great OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER

Banned
    Oct 4, 2015
    India
    in yer toilet!
    I CAN'T UNSEE IT!! :tpi:

3. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    I'm guessing that hitboxes of the racers on this game are way simplified (boxes of the size of the vehicle), there wouldn't be any impact in the gameplay itself, so it would be doable.
    However, there's some other problems with this approach:
    - Ratings boards ins some countries could raise the age rating based on the fact that the game offers the possibility of enabling the offensive gesture. In some cases having the assets to said gesture could still raise the rating, so when patching the game, devs should guarantee that the asset is not usable with an updated version, the GTA San Andreas case is a reference on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_mod
    - Enabling the possibility of having the gesture in some regions will lead to having versions of recent gameplay captures showing the gesture on sites like youtube, raising eyebrows of concerned parents that live in regions where the gesture is offensive (older videos will eventually be outside of main page so that won't damage the franchise/Nintendo image too much).

tl;dr It's tehcnically easy to have both gestures and lock with region/age checks, but Nintendo didn't want to tackle this way because the focus actually was brand image control.

4. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Really nintendo... Smh

Switch needs to get hacked so the gesture can be restored. Maybe add the middle finger to complete it.

5. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    It's Mario kart Nintendo want it to be as wholesome as possible.

You act like censorship is okay in real life but video games are off limits. You need to check your priorities mate.

ihaveamac, Tomato Hentai and yuyuyup like this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    5 pages of this shit...really?

yuyuyup likes this.
  7. F4LK

F4LK GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2017
    Sweden
    For those crying about such a small change:
    [​IMG]

GG, amazing photoshop skills

Last edited by F4LK, May 18, 2017
  8. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Last edited by Marko76, May 18, 2017
    yuyuyup and Tomy Sakazaki like this.
  9. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    correct me if I'm wrong but is splatoon girl trying to do something similar to this? We-Can-Do-It-Rosie-the-Riveter-Wallpaper-2-AB.jpeg

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Today on culture differences! That gesture is actually considered offensive in some places, mostly in the US. Because to the US, it basically stands for, "Up your's."
    There is a difference in hand placement. Notices how she's grabbing her sleeve and not directly placing her hand on her arm? That's the difference between them. One is rolling up her sleeves to do some hard work, other is placing her hand directly on her arm and comes off as, "Up your's."

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 18, 2017
  11. Mushkin

Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Portugal, Porto
    I live in Europe, and that gesture is really a fuck you here. I played Mario kart and didn't notice it, and yet now that I know i don't get offended, there are people with to much free time on their hands to worry with such tiny things.
    Probably kids playing the game wouldn't even notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. RadioShadow

RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    UK
    Oh no, the Inkling Girl doesn't put her left hand on her bicep any more! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THAT MINOR DETAIL WILL UNBALANCE THE GAME, CATS AND DOGS WILL FALL FROM THE SKY AND THE SEGA DREAMCAST 2 WILL COME OUT!

Never knew the jester was offensive in some countries. Don't think it's offensive in the UK. Good job Nintendo for fixing that. Now if only the docuhebags stop crying over nothing.

13. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Unless you hang a confederate flag outside your house, I don't think this is offensive.
    [​IMG]

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Her middle finger isn't extended.

yuyuyup likes this.
  14. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States

15. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.3-1-zen
    Perhaps they didn't like how it implied that she didn't have any hands on the steering wheel...

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Actually that's not completely required, that's basically piling on a middle finger to an already considered crude gesture here in the States (and maybe other places.)
    Basically this gesture
    2849346793_573b1c4afc_z.jpg
    Is considered offensive.
    Again with Rosie the Riveter, it's about hand placement. She's directly rolling up her sleeves
    Notice hand placement
    hand1.png
    And the one that's "offensive"
    hand 2.png
    They aren't the same, one in indicates rolling up one's sleeves to get some work done. The other here in the States is deemed, "Up Yours"

Edit: Holy shit, America actually has some explainable culture differences!

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 18, 2017
  17. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    The Problem is not "how dare they change that" but "how in the flying salamander did they not know that this gesture might be offensive"?
    In Paper Mario games even the tiniest words were adjusted for the British English release because they were offensive words. How come they didn't bother to check with this one?

18. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    The problem is that Nintendo cares about brand image, especially with their kid friendly range of characters (Mario and Splatoon). So while the gesture by itself in a racing game wouldn't be a major problem, Nintendo doesn't want concerned and angry parents not buying their games because their kid started imitating a offensive gesture. Also, as I mentioned before in another reply, this may be an issue with some rating boards (not that it may throw the game to unrated/AO, but wouldn't be an "Everyone" game anymore).

19. Mushkin

Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Portugal, Porto
    For those guys I would do the same that the squid girl before the update :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    [​IMG]
    Did you?

XrosBlader821 likes this.