Splatoon Girl Hand Gesture Removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deemed "Offensive"

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 18, 2017.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen

2. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Actually, if you do this gesture to someone in France, he can technically sue you. If the guy is a police officer, a fire fighter or anyone working for the State, you'll get sued automatically for obscene insults.

Exavold likes this.
  3. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    So you are admitting it IS censorship, and people complaining about Nintendo censoring a gesture some/somebody/somewhere/ will/may/who knows ever consider offensive are SJWs? That is some amazing story spinning right there, but unfortunately in your own post you argue that this was done in order to portray a character the way they originally meant while forgetting that this game was made in Japan, by Japanese developers, where said gesture means "challenge accepted", so you are not portraying the character's scene the way it was originally meant anymore, you altered it to fit another audience taste.
    Now that is perpetuating ignorance, and Nintendo should be called on their bs for it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    ffs people, take a hint and just let the thread die, I feel like the same things keep getting repeated

CandraSoftware likes this.
  5. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Learn to read, ffs.

I will simplify it so you can read it again, without making such embarrassing mistakes as misreading me considering this censorship in any part of my post, ffs, such a lack of reading comprehension skills...

How can this be censorship, if they are not trying to censor their message, but make it clear for people that can't get it because of cultural differences?

6. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    They didn't make anything clear, they just edited it to something meaningless so some ignorant American/French/Brit whatever can live with his ignorance, that is censorship. If they released an statement speaking about the cultural differences after receiving a formal complaint, then it would be clarifying.

7. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    They are not trying to educate people and convert them into Japanese.
    They are not American.
    They just want to pass around their message, why would they do more than that?
    In any case the removal of Swastikas from every fucking manga in the universe specially here in Germany should be considered censorship, but to be honest there is a big difference in meaning for such a symbol between Japan and the West, leaving it on there would cause confusion and would be stupid, no matter the "ignorance" you talk about you don't want that people mistake your everyday monk character for a Nazi.
    This is nothing different.

8. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    Both are censorship and the original Asian symbol is different from the hijacked nazi one, but due to widespread ignorance everybody seems to self censor themselves and avoid using it to not sparkle nazi hysteria drama over their business. Both cases are still perpetuating ignorance and going against your point of portraying what they originally intended in Japan.

9. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    People who cry about nonexistent SJWs are always so damn annoying -_-

Mr. Elementle likes this.
  10. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    The nazi stuff is off topic, but you got me with this BS. I'm not a fan of censorship for what I consider trivial things, but this is just dumb. If you're so against censorship that you don't care about peoples feelings in regard to such a horrific tragedy (in the name of freedom or whatever the hell you are thinking?) then what it really means is you are just an asshole and only consider your own feelings. I'm not trying to lash out at you, but its the truth. I mean bringing up nazis in general just to try and win an argument in itself is concerning. Are you just saying these things because you can't stand to lose an argument, if so just stfu you lost. So you really think people should be reminded about a genocide numbering in the millions, just so you can feel like its not being censored?

Jonna, VitaType and Eddypikachu like this.
  11. Light_Strategist

Light_Strategist Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2017
    I seem to remember Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire actually having a few sprite edits. One of which was the Sailor who did this same gesture in the Japanese version but was changed in international releases because certain countries find it offensive, since it is basically a gesture of 'Up yours' or 'Fuck you' in those territories.

This is genuinely the least problematic thing ever.

Eddypikachu likes this.
  12. RandomFish13

RandomFish13 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    United States
    Why..... just why

13. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    In some parts of the country that gesture if oriented the correct way, that actually means "up yours".

14. nashismo

nashismo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    Australia
    I am sorry, hadn't check on weeks I guess. So my thoughts are insane? Because I happen to know communism first hand and then I compare it to what has been happening in the US, that makes me insane? You people have been living in a brain dead country since Obama started ruling that nation.

My thoughts are insane, when I know for a fact that most Universities in the US are taken by communist teachers and are practically communist brainwashing laboratories?

Thoughts are not insane, facts are not insane, being informed is not being insane, it is living in freedom.

Pachee likes this.
  15. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    K.

Jonna likes this.
  16. RosaliinaDaHacker64

RosaliinaDaHacker64 3DS font intermediate/expert

Oct 7, 2015
    Ireland
    F:\gm9\out
    Oh gosh. I found this on changelog messages, haven't been using this messaging app that much. xD

(sorry for bumping a thread not active for a week)

[​IMG]

Last edited by RosaliinaDaHacker64, Jun 6, 2017
  17. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Women's Day...fuck you, men!

18. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    Please re-read this:
    Isn't that amazing? I was exactly talking about censorship due to hysteria over something people had no knowledge of, and what did you just wrote in your reply? HYSTERIA. Saying i am bringing up nazis in an argument to win it when i just did a logical comparison about how people react to things they have no knowledge of.
    See? Instead of adding to the discussion, your ignorant hysteria made you call me dumb, put words in my mouth and derail the post into genocide. Nazism was much more than just killing 450k people in the camps dude, it involved everything from cultural appropriation to corruption and plain power. Enlighten yourself a bit.

19. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Ok, well I did kinda instinctively/impulsively jump all over you, my bad. Goes to show, Nazi references are not good.

20. Mr. Elementle

Mr. Elementle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    EDIT: forget this, this thread is way to long and way to dumb for me to get involved in this arugment, mods can delete this post

Last edited by Mr. Elementle, Jul 7, 2017