Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 14, 2017.

1. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Norway
    I'm fine with this. It's not like they're releasing 20 different DLC packs at a few dollars each that are nothing but new cosmetic items and other minor things, like a lot of games do these days. A $20 one-off payment for some bonus content isn't that bad, and I'm not even mad that it's not coming out on day 1, as it gives me a reason to start playing the game again a few months after I've beaten it, and it feels less like content that should have been included from the get go.

2. Steena

Member Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    QUOTE="WiiUBricker, post: 7096715, member: 217655"]Damn you mobile gaming. You are gonna pay for this![/QUOTE]
    On the contrary, mobile players are getting their shit for free while core console players are the one paying all the bullshit taxes/seal of quality premium fees to fund their new future F2P model venue over there.

3. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    I don't mind - more Zelda - and it will be a long time before we get another Zelda.

And I don't plan on getting a Switch until then, or when a new Metroid is released

TheDarkGreninja likes this.
  4. Maximilious

Member Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

United States
    They get their "shit" for free by playing casually over the course of X days to complete X missions to get X "payment system coins/gold/etc" to unlock X commodities. Console gamers buy games to play them through completion, and DLC is (99% of the time) optional just like the pay to win models on mobile.

WiiUBricker was just comparing them that Mobile made microtransactions a reality and console developers realized another way to make money.

Either way, developers put time into DLC, and the companies (aka the workers) need to be paid for that time. ProjectRed and Nintendo are honestly the only companies I see making worthwhile DLC for the price they charge for it. People can complain "Nintendo is charging me $20 for 3 extra chests on day 1, those should be free!". Yeah sure they could, but I think of them as a way to thank users for purchasing the DLC up front on day 1, and we're getting the other 2 (basically extra content and 1 expansion) throughout the year. Not too shabby.

5. TheDarkGreninja

Member TheDarkGreninja Temp's OverOptimistic Bastard

In his room counting the days left for BOTW
    United Kingdom
    I honestly dont care what you think. Im ok with DLC and before i get attacked for being a nintendo fanboy, im a pc gamer.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Some of them really are a bunch of entitled brats.

it does.

Also, this game went gold like a month ago. So all this DLC is new stuff that is added on to the main game, some of you dumbasses need to do your research.

And where does that baseless claim come from?

6. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    *reads article*
    I bet when I scroll down everyone will be losing their fucking minds over a switch outfit and a season pass selling future content for cheaper if you invest now.
    *scrolls down*
    nailed it.

This is content created after the game is finished you inbred monkeys. Aside from likely some usable items, maybe some starter gear, and a shit outfit no one will use because it sounds like just some ugly advertisement clothing, you're just buying a season pass for future DLC that is being created post launch.
    So many games do that these days i'd be SURPRISED if a Zelda like this didn't do it.

This is why we can't have nice things.

7. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    It's not a difficult concept to grasp.. Really.. But you can't fix stupid.

8. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    Indeed, but no point in not trying :P.

9. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    I just wish people would read a book. Like I said before.. This isn't twenty years ago.. Nintendo also isn't ripping anybody off. There's just a bandwagon and idiots have to jump on it. If you don't agree with it you're a "fanboy". How does that make ANY sense.

10. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    Exactly.
    If I support something that doesnt instantly make me a fanboy.

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The ironic thing is it's usually Nintenyearolds being entitled dipshits. The rest of us are just like "oh yeah a season pass for content they create after the release of this feature complete game. Cool."
    Meanwhile Nintendo fanboys are screaming "DOWN WITH NINTENDO, GIVE US FREE CONTENT NOW OR GIVE US YOUR HEADS. WE DON'T WANT YOUR FILTHY PAID developed after release and completely legitimate CONTENT!"

Also since I didn't mention it, the 'hard mode' is perfectly valid as DLC depending on what it actually means. If it's just more HP and damage for monsters then ehh, that's a bit odd to add as DLC because it's arguable they could pretty easily push that out. So I would question Nintendo if that were the case.
    If it involves changing loot locations, or enemy locations, or any number of more in depth changes...that requires a lot of goddamn work, the game is gigantic. It just went gold recently. So there's no real way they would've had time to add a hard mode of that caliber. Given how they treated something like OOT Master Quest, i'd assume it isn't a simple damage and HP value tweak.
    Actually I just watched the announcement video and they are also adding some content with the DLC. A new trial and whatever the hell a 'map feature is'.
    Given how cheap the price is, it seems like most of the value will come from the DLC pack 2 which is actual content developed between now and december 2017 ish.

The more I looked into it the more I wondered how anyone could actually have been outraged by this announcement.

Last edited by Hells Malice, Feb 16, 2017 - Reason: typos
    DarthDub and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  12. Sketchy1

Member Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

United States
    Its a lot like games actually, most notably when I see someone I know play something like call of duty:

If I'm just too good, and at the top of the list, I'm a hacker.
    If I'm anywhere near the bottom, I'm a noob and should just quit.

10/10 Logic nowadays is just too real

13. xdarkmario

Member xdarkmario Philosopher

United States
    saw it on youtube. MAD see it again a day later here on temp STILL MAD!

14. 3DSPoet

Member 3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh, why not...

I think the problem is not with the DLC itself, but with the labeling....

DLC *SHOULD* be a bunch of useless accessories and outfits or maybe cosmetic trinkets that do interesting, but basically useless things... The Pay To Win model is absurd.. (though I don't see this being the case with these items).

While the DLC may include additional areas, missions, etc...it should NOT be part of or required for the main game.

Game expansions should NOT be labeled as DLC. Blizzard *used* to understand this with the Expansions for Warcraft 2, StarCraft and Warcraft 3

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. ut2k4master

Member ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Germany
    why?

DarthDub likes this.
  16. AdamFX990

Newcomer AdamFX990 Member

United Kingdom
    Oh dear. This seems like a poorly thought out decision. This could quickly go from the next Super Mario 64 to the next No Man's Sky.

geodeath likes this.
  17. geodeath

Member geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Just because the rest do it, it does not mean it is right or ok. I am sure a big percentage of Nintendo fans, are Nintendo fans because of Nintendo things. And one of these Nintendo things was that they were not milking the cow as much as the competition when it came to season passes, DLC's and other crap like fremium and pay to play. Seems that Nintendo decided to jump on the bandwagon along with the others now. Another Nintendo quality going down the drain for many people including me. Just because you do not think it is bad, it does not mean we all feel the same way.

Exactly this. Nintendo has always been the last one to defend "true" gaming values, with the rest jumping on every dollar making decision they could possibly do. Now Nintendo is not all that different anymore. They will offer the same "kind" of offerings with the competition but much worse, in pretty much every aspect now. Online? Membership perks? blah blah blah...

Also, the reason i hate DLC with a passion is retro gaming. Try finding that DLC 20 years from now, if you still want to play the switch version of BOTW, when servers shut down. Unless you buy a "new" package that includes it, you are screwed. Not happening with my Snes and N64 collection.

Last edited by geodeath, Feb 16, 2017
  18. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    Thats why you download it onto a flash drive.

This game is already complete, it went gold a fucking month ago.
    Why would they release DLC 9 months after release if it was on the disc?

I've never met such entitled brats.

Edit: So you dont want to pay extra for additional content to your favourite game revitalising the game? Thats your decision.

Nintendo aren't hiding anything on the cart/disc. End of story.

Nintendo aren't doing anything wrong in my eyes. What they just stated was:
    "Hey you know that game we completed a month ago? If you pay us £17.99 we'll give you some more content for the game we are developing"

If it were on the disc it would be a different issue.

I really dont understand the hate, do you entitled/poor ass people want everything to be free? Nintendo are a business.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja, Feb 16, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  19. geodeath

Member geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Name calling is not going to get your argument anywhere. Drop it. I like my games online-free, dlc free and i like to have everything on disc. Are they going to release a GOTY package with everything included? That is ok with me. DLC for DLC's sake to monetize just a bit more is my problem. Also, i do not want to have flash drives with DLCS of 20 consoles in the future, i like my games *packaged* and without any paywalls or internet gates, or logins to enable "this" or "that".

I do not care if they want to sell more things after the development is done, that is their decision. But make a BLOODY physical release too, not all gamers are the same. I enjoy my games as i do my books, i want to preserve them and keep them in a shelf.

Yes, Nintendo is a business but they are making the one wrong decision after the other, non stop, this time around. DLC's are fine with me, as long as there is also a physical release at some point and as long as THEY ARE COMPLETELY different and NOT packaged in the disc. (the idea that they are not on the disc has to be confirmed first). Digital distribution is a novel idea, but i still remember how long it took to setup my WiiU the first day and the few times i ever turned my xbox one on, i had to wait maybe 1 hour before i did anything. What happened to add on discs? What happened to new episodes?

We are not brats/stupid/poor as you think. I dropped more than 10x the money they are asking for the dlc plus the cost of a switch and zelda on retro games this month alone. I am not poor. I just do not like poor decisions and Nintendo copying the bullshit of other companies. If Nintendo becomes sony & ms, what reason is left for Nintendo to be Nintendo?

If Nintendo wants our money, they can do it in many good ways. Personally, i NEVER buy DLCs and season passes. If they plan on releasing a "complete" package at some point, cool, i will grab that, eventually. But knowing NOW, i will not buy the day 1 release. Why would i prefer to pay the same amount of money, for a digital file, that i have to PRESERVE MYSELF forever and not buying something physical that includes the functionality?

It is me that cannot understand all the fun and joy over the announcement of DLC's even before the game is announced. Do it after a year, fine. Season passes are the worst thing ever invented. They might work well with games that share the online-only mantra like COD etc but for something like Zelda its dumb.

20. Meteor7

Member Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

United States
    At the very least, I think this is something we can all get behind. No-one's ever going to be convinced of another's rationale by being antagonized or labeled.