The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - second official trailer revealed

Those eagerly awaiting Breath of the Wild 2 can see some interesting new things in the latest trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. The 2-minute trailer shows both story and gameplay. Tears of the Kingdom launches on the Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023. A collector's edition and new amiibo will also be available, at launch.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it did with Skyway Sword lol... Even a re-release was not enough to salvage that turd. It introduced the "more realistic" silly gameplay philosophy that perverted the series and made BOTW such a chore to play without cheats. I hate that stamina meter with such a passion.
The breakable weapons were really annoying, too.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't mind the weapons breaking, but a durability boost would definitely be a welcomed change. Like, and extra 1/3rd durability buff, nothing crazy. I definitely want proper dungeons with their own bosses. We had map markers in BotW, did you just not use them?
Personally, I do mind weapons breaking, as it renders finding hidden, secret ones - or ones gained as a reward for tough battles - feel practically worthless since they're going to break anyway, and there's no way to repair them.

Either do like Skyrim and Assassin's Creed Origins did, and make weapons (and shields) invulnerable to damage - or do what Minecraft did, and give stuff hundreds (and for Diamond and Netherite, well over a thousand) of hits, along with providing easy and convenient ways to repair damaged stuff.

As for map markers, I was talking about pre-placed ones, not the user-placed ones that are almost certainly going to be inaccurate, and cannot be placed if you don't know something exists (or where it is).
Look at A Link Between Worlds; you could place pins on your map, to signify various things (like Heart Pieces or Maiamais), but it also had pre-placed markers for dungeon locations and other important places - your current destinations, basically. Why couldn't BotW do the same? Why can't TotK do the same?

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Those eagerly awaiting Breath of the Wild 2 can see some interesting new things in the latest trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. The 2-minute trailer shows both story and gameplay. Tears of the Kingdom launches on the Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023. A collector's edition and new amiibo will also be available, at launch.

lol at 1:09
is it the cordyceps apocalyps in Hyrule?

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm afraid this will be as empty and tedious as the insanely overrated BOTW. But it doesn't matter it's gonna get automatic 20/20 reviews of course. BOTW was fun to explore but combat and temples were atrocious.

What exploring? Run for 10 mins maybe 1 or 2 bad guys. Vast open area with jack all to do.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This game looks awesome :D I don't know if you can top the masterpiece that botw is, but it will try ! Oh btw, for those that think the stamina or the durability made BOTW bad, I have just one thing to say : git gud. BOTW is one of the most well balanced game in history. Everything is so well thought, you can only see that kind of genius in a few legendary games.

Last edited by Sylx3,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This game looks awesome :D I don't know if you can top the masterpiece that botw is, but it will try ! Oh btw, for those that think the stamina or the durability made BOTW bad, I have just one thing to say : git gud. BOTW is one of the most well balanced game in history. Everything is so well thought, you can only see that kind of genius in a few legendary games.
"Well balanced" my foot, and "git gud" is a tired old Dark Souls meme.

Nothing in BotW tells you killing enemies gradually increases the potency of the weapons they drop, for one thing, and every weapon's so frustratingly brittle you'll use up multiple against any rando Bokoblin, let alone expending several against more durable foes. Not even the Master Sword (which survived being stored in a room with running water, underneath the salty sea, for eons, even after the sages that powered it were slain) is immune to this. If the weapons were unbreakable, or at least had like 10x the durability, then I would call it 'better balanced'.

The lack of pre-placed map markers means you have zero guidance on where to head next, what to do next; you have zero goals to head toward or plan around. How is this "so well thought out"? All it means is that you're left stumbling around a barren wasteland having no idea where you're supposed to go to complete quests, including the main one. Horrible design.

Apparently, BotW was inspired by the original Legend of Zelda game, which also didn't tell you where to go - except that was due to how limited the NES was. It's an archaic and outdated design philosophy, that was rightfully scrapped by the third game, as it was deemed frustrating and player-hostile. Oh, and what else did Zelda 1 have that BotW noticeably lacks? DUNGEONS. And swords and shields and tools that never broke. Speaking of, multiple tools, instead of just four Runes.
So much for that inspiration, huh?

No, if you want something "well balanced", look at Twilight Princess. Way better combat, much better incarnation of Hyrule, wonderful dungeons, numerous tools, far more interesting characters, no stupid stamina or fragility to needlessly frustrate the player, better minigames, you always know where to go next instead of stumbling around lost and confused. It's the best.

The Wind Waker, meanwhile, has far superior explorative value since every square is clearly noted on the map, with a unique island - you're never once lost. Each island also has at least something to get from it, and there's plenty of treasure maps to get sunken treasure from if you line up the zoomed-in island in each with your regular map. Combat's decent here as well, with the counter system, unbreakable equipment, no stamina, and great spin attack. Oh, and the dungeons are great here too. It only falls behind Twilight Princess because of a few substandard minigames (the two run by Salvatore, the fact the Pictograph gallery thing can be permanently rendered uncompleteable, the bird-man contest).

What does BotW have over these two games? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved BOTW but this trailer didn't really do much for me. It looks more like DLC than a new mainline entry to me. I guess I expected more after six years.

Perhaps they're teasing us by holding back the true bulk of the game, maybe we're looking at a MGS2 scenario. Either way the trailer didn't do them any favours. I'm sure it will turn out good however.
You loved the maaahoosive empty map with endless shrines, and this trailer that showed nothing at all gameplay sense, ohhh wait you just redeemed yourself.

Because Nintendo themselves even admitted to the fact that the base game BOTW had fuck all to it (like most shit/switch games), they thought to release the game, make sales to fun work on the next, but Breath of the TURD!!! had fuck all GOING FOR IT!!!

Hence all of their DLC ideas crammed into a new game.

Sorry but Idiots who bought into MK8 Wii port are just pure cash cow idiots, Nintendo laughing more at you for buying this shit game, then even more so, buying into the new content that should have been MK9 Switch......

But nooo, Nintendo fans are really pure fucking morons, keeping this company afloat when they release the same shit, same recycled crap, and when it comes to online, what ya get....... more OLD SHIT!!!

Too fucking tight to throw up some AAA titles, but hey, guess it be hard for nintendo to throw up some third party AAA titles, when they fail to get the sales nintendo promise, hence why third parties fuck nintendo off to start with.

So will the next gen be the end of this cashcow company, will the world see sense that we do not need a new console to play the same old nintendo shit.....

save our money, buy the the consoles that bring us new game, and if needed, emulate anything nintendo release on our mobile/pc or other handheld devices that are superior to anything nintendo would release as a console.

but guess this will never happen, nintendo have too many icons the sheep love and blindly buy, its like plankton has shoved his bucket hat on all of nintendo fans....... we must obey!!!!

i wasted nearly an hour last night watching ninteno's direct and wow what a crock of shit it was, after all these years of promise of better support..... absolutely fuck all, STILL TO DATE.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Nothing in BotW tells you killing enemies gradually increases the potency of the weapons they drop, for one thing, and every weapon's so frustratingly brittle you'll use up multiple against any rando Bokoblin, let alone expending several against more durable foes. Not even the Master Sword (which survived being stored in a room with running water, underneath the salty sea, for eons, even after the sages that powered it were slain) is immune to this. If the weapons were unbreakable, or at least had like 10x the durability, then I would call it 'better balanced'.

The lack of pre-placed map markers means you have zero guidance on where to head next, what to do next; you have zero goals to head toward or plan around. How is this "so well thought out"? All it means is that you're left stumbling around a barren wasteland having no idea where you're supposed to go to complete quests, including the main one. Horrible design.

Apparently, BotW was inspired by the original Legend of Zelda game, which also didn't tell you where to go - except that was due to how limited the NES was. It's an archaic and outdated design philosophy, that was rightfully scrapped by the third game, as it was deemed frustrating and player-hostile. Oh, and what else did Zelda 1 have that BotW noticeably lacks? DUNGEONS. And swords and shields and tools that never broke. Speaking of, multiple tools, instead of just four Runes.

No, if you want something "well balanced", look at Twilight Princess. Way better combat, much better incarnation of Hyrule, wonderful dungeons, numerous tools, far more interesting characters, no stupid stamina or fragility to needlessly frustrate the player, better minigames, you always know where to go next instead of stumbling around lost and confused. It's the best.

The Wind Waker, meanwhile, has far superior explorative value since every square is clearly noted on the map, with a unique island - you're never once lost. Each island also has at least something to get from it, and there's plenty of treasure maps to get sunken treasure from if you line up the zoomed-in island in each with your regular map. Combat's decent here as well, with the counter system, unbreakable equipment, no stamina, and great spin attack. Oh, and the dungeons are great here too. It only falls behind Twilight Princess because of a few substandard minigames (the two run by Salvatore, the fact the Pictograph gallery thing can be permanently rendered uncompleteable, the bird-man contest).

I don't know about you, but I stockpile royal claymores as my swords of choice. They last a long time and are very strong weapons against foes.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is so well thought, you can only see that kind of genius in a few legendary games

once Miyamoto stopped being in charge of zelda i knew it was going to be the end of it.
This sequel is more akin an Expansion/DLC, but Nintendo fans on YouTube are hyped up about it. 😑 Okay.

I expected a brand new game not something that feels like "Breath of the Wild - Season 2" or the sorts.

WiseDan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
wrong video graphics
here on gbatemp is truncated and i cannot watch trailer
on youtube site all good
@op please fix issue

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 35

Xenogeist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I agree, the only thing I don't agree is objective marks, I mean after years and years of gaming I don't think we need marks that tell us where to go.

For me personally it kills the sense of gaming and exploration.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Yeeaaaah that's a lot of words just to say that you're bad at video games. It's your loss.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I agree, the only thing I don't agree is objective marks, I mean after years and years of gaming I don't think we need marks that tell us where to go.

For me personally it kills the sense of gaming and exploration.
Then let's just agree to disagree on that one point, as it's clear I very much like map markers - I can explore on my way to a marked point, and take in the scenery and stuff. To me, it enhances exploration value as it removes the possibility of getting lost or overlooking something important, whilst not compromising the ability to stumble across something new.
Post automatically merged:

Yeeaaaah that's a lot of words just to say that you're bad at video games. It's your loss.
Hardly; I just don't have the time nor the patience to wander around without some form of guidance. If map markers aren't available, then I'll use an online map to show me where things are - at which point why not just give me that same map in-game with pre-built markers?

Reactions: Xenogeist

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you. As far as I'm concerned Twilight Princess is the last true and great Zelda game. It all went downhill after that. Last time I played it it felt even better than before, the dungeons are just so good.

What exploring? Run for 10 mins maybe 1 or 2 bad guys. Vast open area with jack all to do.
lol yeah I get your point, the world is very barren but I still had fun fooling around, exploring and climbing every tower. On my second (and last) "playthrough" I only did that and never advanced the main story. It's basically BOTW's only saving grace to me. But I'm the kind of guy who likes to explore just for the sake of exploring.

Thing is, I wouldn't have bothered without cheats because of the stamina nonesense. BOTW wants you to explore but does everything in its power to make it as tedious as possible. It's just insane game design aimed at masochists. I wouldn't be surprised if Tears of the Kingdom went further in that direction by adding some kind of weight system like in Death Stranding for example.

The breakable weapons were really annoying, too.
Oh yeah they are ! It's hilarious how OOT gets flack for having to constantly open menu to toogle iron boots on & off but BOTW gets praised for doing 1000 times worse. It's so much fun to have to select a new weapon 2 or 3 times per fight (at least), isn't it ? I would never have bothered finishing the game without using cheats to alleavate that tedium. And even with unbreakable weapons combat still sucks. Anyway isn't it sad when cheats are required to make a game tolerable ? Sure doesn't sound like a 20/20 GOTY to me :rofl2:

Last edited by Ligeia,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah whatever that video didnt do much for me at all ....but you know its going to be amazing loved BOTW did it on normal & master mode ..going to do the same for this !
But as of Yesturday Metroid Prime Remastered Came out & its the best thing on switch in ages 10/10 Soo goo cant wait to finish work & play it all weekend !

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol