Tears of the Kingdom is both the fastest-selling Zelda game and fastest-selling Nintendo game of all time

gjfidgd.png

In less than a week since the game launched The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is crushing records. The game sold a massive 10 million copies worldwide, making it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, as well as the fastest selling Nintendo Switch title, on top of being the fastest-selling game in Nintendo history, at least in The Americas. For reference, the game's predecessor, Breath of the Wild, is currently sitting at 30 million copies sold in its lifetime, meaning Tears of the Kingdom has sold a third of the amount in just 6 days.

:arrow: Source

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand these games, but are the seeds I've heard about like the power moons in odyssey, where they're everywhere?
Seeds? Do you mean shrines? In that case, yes. Shrines aren't as common as Moons are in Odyssey, but they're scattered around everywhere and there are quite a few of them (120 in BotW I believe). Each Shrine is a bite-sized dungeon, often focusing on a specific mechanic or puzzle. At the end you receive an item that you can trade in for a heart container or stamina vial (at a 4:1 ratio).

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeds? Do you mean shrines? In that case, yes. Shrines aren't as common as Moons are in Odyssey, but they're scattered around everywhere and there are quite a few of them (120 in BotW I believe). Each Shrine is a bite-sized dungeon, often focusing on a specific mechanic or puzzle. At the end you receive an item that you can trade in for a heart container or stamina vial (at a 4:1 ratio).
hmm, someone mentioned 900 seeds scattered throughout botw.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This.

I'm just disappointed with TotK because I *expected* a brand new Zelda game experience than a BotW2 more or less.

BotW for me was superb so more of the same is not a bad thing, it's just that.
I don’t know why you’d expect that, it was always billed as a direct sequel to BOTW.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are they as elusive as power moon? and totk has dungeons? I mean do you start off with all equipment like a hookshot?
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about Korok seeds! Yes, there are 900 total and they're found after completing mini puzzles in the overworld. TotK has a similar dungeon format to BotW (many small shrines, and five large ones containing several objectives that can be done in any order). This is quite different than previous games, which had larger, more difficult dungeons. I think BotW's style fits those two games well but personally like the traditional model more.
Post automatically merged:

Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about Korok seeds! Yes, there are 900 total and they're found after completing mini puzzles in the overworld. TotK has a similar dungeon format to BotW (many small shrines, and five large ones containing several objectives that can be done in any order). This is quite different than previous games, which had larger, more difficult dungeons. I think BotW's style fits those two games well but personally like the traditional model more.
Also, the Hookshot isn't present in either game. You start with literally nothing and have to scavenge/craft weapons. It's much more hunter-gatherer than previous games, with concepts like weapon durability emphasizing a greater need to self-manage your inventory.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You start with literally nothing and have to scavenge/craft weapons. It's much more hunter-gatherer than previous games, with concepts like weapon durability emphasizing a greater need to self-manage your inventory.
they turned zelda into a fucking survival game. i didn't know how much worse they could make it than botw but they succeeded!

Reactions: tabzer and Marc_LFD

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How is it redundant? maybe it's a language thing, but you can be fastest selling zelda game and not be fastest selling N game because a Mario has that honor or whatever.

It is only redundant if the premise is that you present the info such as "Zelda totk becomes fastest selling N game and btw that also makes it the fastest selling Z game"

The order of presentation matters, those are my 2 cents.

I get what you are saying, but saying "Zelda TOTK becomes Nintendo's fastest selling game," presents all of that information. The order doesn't matter when it comes to "redundancy". Redundancy doesn't mean bad or good, so if you think I'm being critical, that wasn't my intention.

they turned zelda into a fucking survival game. i didn't know how much worse they could make it than botw but they succeeded!

BOTW did that. TOTK is a better version of BOTW. Use a durability cheat to help enjoy this game.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the case of the TOTK Special it actually released a month ahead of the game. I remember post after post of disappointed customers who thought they’d be able to play the game a little earlier if they shelled out a little extra dough, only realising that it doesn’t include the game after examining their purchase more closely. To me it’s weird - the console is already slightly more expensive than the regular unit, it would be nice to get a little extra thrown in there, it would still count towards sales of the game regardless and you’d have an incentive to pay a premium for what is effectively a paint job on a regular Switch. This is strictly a Nintendo thing - my Halo Series X came with Halo, that’s a given as far as I’m concerned. All of the LE versions of the PS4 came pre-packaged with the game they were themed after as well, as far as I know. Even the Monster Hunter Switch, a third-party LE, came with the game, so why does Nintendo not do the same? It’s very odd.
Interesting. Didn't know that the Rise Switch actually came with Rise. And, after looking it up, it even came with the digital deluxe DLC, though not the special edition where you get some extra irl stuff. The console bundle "just" included a download code anyway, so collectors would probably want to just buy both the limited Switch and the physical special edition.
But Nintendo has been a fan of not putting everything in one package for a while now. Pretty odd that the 3DS consoles didn't include a charger :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Interesting. Didn't know that the Rise Switch actually came with Rise. And, after looking it up, it even came with the digital deluxe DLC, though not the special edition where you get some extra irl stuff. The console bundle "just" included a download code anyway, so collectors would probably want to just buy both the limited Switch and the physical special edition.
But Nintendo has been a fan of not putting everything in one package for a while now. Pretty odd that the 3DS consoles didn't include a charger :D
They assume (rightfully so) that a large subset of their audience, possibly the majority, are just people upgrading to the next stopgap console. They have a very die-hard audience who’ll buy just about anything they put out. On one hand they have the excuse of being “environmentally friendly” for the 3DS as that’s the general trend, but if that were truly the case, the console would’ve just used USB for power like everything else.

• Wow
Reactions: Hyperflux

FocusedWiiWarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch players have low standards. Video games do not have "souls", they have objectively quality. When it's a first-party exclusive, people have major rose-tinted glasses and fail to perceive the objective quality level accurately.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get what you are saying, but saying "Zelda TOTK becomes Nintendo's fastest selling game," presents all of that information.

Businesses today purposely try to use as many metrics as possible, even if most of them end up sounding redundant. It makes them look good during press releases, announcements, and stock holder meetings.

Nintendo has specifically Tweeted "highest selling Switch game in {insert region here}". Since I haven't seen them mention China yet we have to assume Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still holds that title over there.

Last edited by raging_chaos,
Reactions: Hyperflux

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto