Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
you've obviously never used yuzu or ryu it runs the games over 9000 times better than that shitty tablet ever could! :lol:
Nah, it actually doesn't. When I emulated Splatoon 2, it had glitches such as - glitchy ink (your ink acting as enemy ink), Baller not going up walls, etc. -- and that made Octo Expansion impossible. When I asked, they said that it's an issue with my GPU architecture (RX 6600) and that there's nothing they can do about it.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I'd say it's a worse experience *for the money*. Obviously you can bruteforce past it with PC components that cost multiples of the entire Switch, and good for you in that case. That's not really emulation running it better, though, that's just not being constrained by the budget and portability of the Switch itself.
the reality is that games do run, look and work better on a PC.
Its fine to say consoles are cheaper and run ok, but lets not be dellusional here...
Post automatically merged:

Nah, it actually doesn't. When I emulated Splatoon 2, it had glitches such as - glitchy ink (your ink acting as enemy ink), Baller not going up walls, etc. -- and that made Octo Expansion impossible. When I asked, they said that it's an issue with my GPU architecture (RX 6600) and that there's nothing they can do about it.
Kindly check the youtube link above that i posted. Let it speak for itself.
Also check any other system emulated while at it.

Also emulators constantly update to eliminate glitches. They are emulators not native hardvare, and if an emulator is in early stages its even normal to have glutches Emulators in general became so good these says they are basically indistinguishable from real thing, even surpasing far and beyond.

As for issue youre describing thats niche... Also telling one small issue in one game on one system being emulated does not prove emulatio is bad, it just proves its not perfect since its emulated.

so its fine not to like emulation and to favor real hardware, but again, dont be dellusional about it. its just......well....stupid.

Last edited by Metoroid0,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

kiaghi7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I'll be the first to say it's bad, however a slight glimmer of good to come from it is that because it didn't go to court, no legal precedent has been set, and thus the claims made in the filing aren't anything more than accusation at this point.

What that means is that those who still have YuZu source code, can't use it one-to-one as that is now also Nintendo property per the settlement, but are perfectly legally able to learn from and use it to learn from for future emulation projects.

So while Switch emulation just "took an arrow to the knee", it's at least still possible... Also by bringing attention to it, Nintendo may well "Streisand Effect" themselves, and let's just say the last build of Yuzu isn't erased from the internet ~_^

Bobsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[EDIT: Please ignore this post, I meant to post it on today's news thread of yuzu giving in. ]

What is going to happen to the Google play store version? Will it be removed from devices where it is already installed?

Last edited by Bobsy,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You really are an N nerd are you?

There will absolutely be a case if the defendant shows up in the court room with a paper clip. Your average joe will not have the knowledge to use emulators, however, its very easy to use a dongle+paper clip. Heck, they just need to show up with a hard modded switch and the case would be closed instantly because even your granny can play a pirated copy.
No, I'm just not impotent and using this as a war for making me feel like a man.

The court would be really confused with your behavior and remove you from the room.

Distributing switch modchips and dongles is illegal, team Xector got arrested by the FBI for selling them. What would you hope to achieve?

Hopefully Nintendo both loses the case and also must pay the defense's legal fees.
This post didn't age well.

Well... I'll be the first to say it's bad, however a slight glimmer of good to come from it is that because it didn't go to court, no legal precedent has been set, and thus the claims made in the filing aren't anything more than accusation at this point.

What that means is that those who still have YuZu source code, can't use it one-to-one as that is now also Nintendo property per the settlement, but are perfectly legally able to learn from and use it to learn from for future emulation projects.

So while Switch emulation just "took an arrow to the knee", it's at least still possible... Also by bringing attention to it, Nintendo may well "Streisand Effect" themselves, and let's just say the last build of Yuzu isn't erased from the internet ~_^
The legal precedent was set during the DeCSS case years ago, why do you think they folded as soon as they did? The time between the lawsuit being filed and the settlement was just negotiating how much money they would hand over to nintendo.

Emulation didn't take an arrow to the knee, with any luck people will stop drawing unwanted attention by 1. emulating current generation consoles 2. making huge profits from doing so. Because that hurts preservation.

Meanwhile, all the people keeping their heads down for the last 25 years since the DMCA was passed are still fine.

If we could get rid of libretro/retroarch then the scene would be in a much better position.

Last edited by smf,
  • Haha
Reactions: Alexander1970

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The legal precedent was set during the DeCSS case years ago, why do you think they folded as soon as they did? The time between the lawsuit being filed and the settlement was just negotiating how much money they would hand over to nintendo.
This is however in Europe and not the US.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto