Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Look, the bottom line is that yuzu itself has to know how to work combined with the keys. You not liking my analogy won’t change that. This not nearly as cut and dry as you’re acting like it is. Yuzu had to either figure out their own way (“clean room”, correct me if I’m wrong but this is why Dolphin is safe, Nintendo blocked it being on Steam but can’t touch the emulator itself because it has its own reverse engineered method of decrypting) or it doesn’t fall into what you’re quoting here. “It does it the exact same way a Switch does with the exact same key” isn’t reverse engineering.
It’s definitely *not* cut and dry and I’m not presenting it as such, it’s how I would argue it in court if I was pressed to do so. Yuzu made the correct decision to settle out of court because it’s not an easy thing to explain in a courtroom where you’re surrounded by suits who, realistically, have no idea how technology works. Nintendo has an endless pile of money, they could make a lawsuit last indefinitely until whoever they’re fighting against simply runs out of their legal defense funds. It is safer to let these things lie instead of risking a potentially unfavourable ruling that puts other developers in jeopardy. “Clean room” is safer, but ultimately just a claim one makes - as far as the DMCA is concerned, you’re still “bypassing copy protection”, you just came up with the method yourself without examining the original, as in you worked backwards. The only real defense one has is proving that what they’re doing is not infringement by demonstrating it falls into one of the exceptions or is otherwise permissible. From that perspective nothing is truly “safe” - it’s lawfare. It doesn’t matter if what you’re doing is legal or not if you can’t defend yourself.

Reactions: Xzi

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you shut down an open source project? I mean, how would you kill linux if you were Microsoft? Linux is an operating system...
You can't. It's too late and there's nothing Nintendo can do a/b it when another fork of YuZu rises from the ashes like a phoenix especially due to its open source nature. Hell, I even snagged myself a copy of the source code for preservation purposes even though I don't code, lol...

Kmoe4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very saddened by these news. Yuzu is all time great and I am glad to be paying customer for Nintendo because of Yuzu.

I also now lost active save files :/. I had some save files in my Open Save Data Location folder but they don't seem to work. I used my earlier backup, copy pasted them to the folder, they seem to work but they are so far behind of where I was in my games.

Anyone figured out how to get the save files that were active when Yuzu shutdown back to working?

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulation used to be innovation and for educational purposes. Helping potential devs who could not buy development kits. Now thanks to nitendo's litigiousness, and the general way the law is going its a crime.

I have always detested nintendo but nintendo fanboys and apple fanboys for that matter love living in their walled gardens.

sylie

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yikes Nintendo. You make me sick. I don't know if you genuinely realize what you have done.

I hope every hacker in the world will unify their forces to find every possible exploit of every future console and develop a perfect emulator for each one as well. Taking down an open source emulator is just too much.

I hope Suyu will be a good succession.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
correct me if I’m wrong but this is why Dolphin is safe, Nintendo blocked it being on Steam but can’t touch the emulator itself because it has its own reverse engineered method of decrypting) or it doesn’t fall into what you’re quoting here.
You're wrong. Dolphin is safe because nintendo didn't care enough about it.

You can't. It's too late and there's nothing Nintendo can do a/b it when another fork of YuZu rises from the ashes like a phoenix especially due to its open source nature. Hell, I even snagged myself a copy of the source code for preservation purposes even though I don't code, lol...
I bet yuzu and team xecuter thought there was nothing nintendo could do.

Of course Nintendo can't do anything about offline copies.

Yikes Nintendo. You make me sick. I don't know if you genuinely realize what you have done.

I hope every hacker in the world will unify their forces to find every possible exploit of every future console and develop a perfect emulator for each one as well. Taking down an open source emulator is just too much.

I hope Suyu will be a good succession.

I hope Nintendo sue Suyu into oblivion, because the alternative is much worse for preservation.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet yuzu and team xecuter thought there was nothing nintendo could do.

Of course Nintendo can't do anything about offline copies.
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, lmao 😅😆😂?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mar10-d...ase-date-and-more.650511/page-2#post-10376256
Post automatically merged:

may the clones arise from the ashes !
Praise be:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mar10-d...ase-date-and-more.650511/page-2#post-10376256

Reactions: BigOnYa

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL my post got deleted oops too controversial i guess... Well we all have seen the Phoenix has risen from ashes in many forms!!!
Post automatically merged:

YuZu already works for the games I need it for and I just got done downloading "SuYu" so it's business as usual:
hwkIrSd.png

fK1LvoU.png

8RcjwWA.png

Lol i made a copy and paste fork compile changed name too LOL i call it O.L.E.D Optimal Legendary Emulation Device :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::switch: This was a one time thing as for fun and education compiling was hectic and there will be no public releases from me either!!!

Lol idk why video's are green tho as im not a Dev LOL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Last edited by gisel213,
Reactions: urbanman2004

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South

I don't believe this caused it
Probably it didn't cause it in its own right, but it added fuel to the dumpster fire.

And while I obviously do not agree with nor do I condone what Nintendo did here, and while I also think Yuzu was an otherwise quite good Emulator, I'll say something that might piss off a lot of people and will be quite controversial:

They deserved it.

Why do I think they deserved it?
Well, I had brought up a quite important issue to the developer team on their GitHub. One of their omega smug, with a -poisonous attitude that could execute a small country merely via its presence- developers, had apparently sought to raise a fight with me for no reason (likely just due to the fact that he disagreed with what it said on my GitHub profile page in my "about me" section). Regardless thereof, I had brought up a massive issue with their Emulator that badly needed fixing, it was quite critical. And instead of doing his due diligence and acknowledging the issue, like a true virtue-signalling, smug turd that he was (the truest form of an online loser you could imagine), he went on to make a scene of the fact that he and I disagreed somewhere on something else. After this guy being as smug as he was, constantly DELETING my Issue tickets, he eventually banned me from the GitHub entirely.

I'm not being farcical, that really happened. And the kicker of it all: They ended up fixing it very soon after I had reported it due to its criticality, would you look at that...

Seriously though, I uninstalled Yuzu right then and there, and never looked back, and even went as far as to ALMOST being that guy in that Email that Smoker1 showed, reporting Yuzu to Nintendo. I didn't, because I thought it's childish and I'd be hurting other people with this that haven't done anything to deserve that, but that smug fuck? Seriously, serves them right for having such a cuck on their team.

And quite honestly, below the GBATemp surface (Reddit, Discord, other social media services/channels), MANY people hated the Yuzu Dev. Team, quite a lot of people actually for a whole variety of reasons. And I never understood why, until I then opened an Issue tracker on their GitHub and got to face that smug little shit. I know I'm having a little bit of schadensfreude here, but that totally served them right as far as I am concerned, and I immediately said to myself "good riddance" when I saw these news, despite me not wishing anything bad to the ones who hadn't wronged me or anyone else. I've also never seen the RyujiNX team do any of this crap either, and not that they're perfect, but the Yuzu Dev. Team truly was a sight to behold, especially with smug turds like that... whatever "it" was on their team.

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited by LokeYourLord,
Reactions: NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ryyjinx should've suffered since it's absolutely terrible it cannot even run properly i was playing Pokémon sword and shield on it and it had terrible performance and graphical artifacts like polygon grid
I find Ryujinx better than yuzu.
On my Steam Deck I get low framerate on yuzu and it crashes at the end of every game.

Ryujinx is faster, 30fps no problems and no crashes.

TOTK
Yuzu - 12fps
Ryujinx - 25fps

So I dont mind if 1 of them ends. Then I can use 1 for Switch games instead of not knowing which works better and which has the good save.

BUT, Yuzu is good for some other games. I think it was MK which worked on Yuzu and not ryujinx?
I dont know, I dont play them anyway. Too busy with other good games. But it is fun to play emulated games, its like a demo for games without demos like 99% of Switch games.

And no I wont be buying the next Nin Console. I have all the previous ones and I've learned my lesson. I cant trust that company anymore. I give them money and they use to to sue the small people for the stupidest things. Look now, all the emulators are running away. SO FUCK NINTENDOH! They will NEVER get ANY money from me. I refuse to buy anything from them again.

Now switch roms are demos for other consoles. I'll get a rom, play it, and if I like it i'll get it on PS5 or Xbox instead.
So the game devs still get paid and Nin can get fucked.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ryyjinx should've suffered since it's absolutely terrible it cannot even run properly i was playing Pokémon sword and shield on it and it had terrible performance and graphical artifacts like polygon grid
than your doing it wrong cos ryu shits all over yuzu. where did you think they yuzu their code from always noticed ryu got updated first than shortly after yuzu followed? :lol:

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://suyu.dev/ - They couldn't have chosen a better name :D

Nintendo, a gaming company spends more money on lawyers than their actual products. What a joke! I wonder if they fire all their lawyers now, and invest in the community what would happen? Learn from SEGA for once!

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A resounding "duh" can be heard echoing within the halls.

That shouldn't surprise anyone.
I'm not surprised either, shouldn't surprise anybody. Emulator takedowns have happened ever since the N64 emulators started to circulate around the net, people will find a way around it by creating forks or new projects from scratch that improve upon its per-successor.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol