Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is however in Europe and not the US.
Europe has EUCD, which for all intents and purposes is DMCA. Nintendo have been quite successful in using it against flash carts and mod chip sellers.

Sony only lost in the US, so it's not even clear emulators are legal in Europe. Let's not test it

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Europe has EUCD, which for all intents and purposes is DMCA. Nintendo have been quite successful in using it against flash carts and mod chip sellers.

Sony only lost in the US, so it's not even clear emulators are legal in Europe. Let's not test it
Correct, but so far we know in the EU that numbers aren't copyrightable.

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you've obviously never used yuzu or ryu it runs the games over 9000 times better than that shitty tablet ever could! :lol:
I have, and dont get me wrong, I like the high fidelity but I freaking hate it when the game wigs out and glitches, or the controls dont work properly, I feel playing natively is the BEST way to get the full experience.

Reactions: Kioku

Knowitall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beware Ninendo I have some special surpirses coming soon. Here is a taste of the things and arguments I will use pre anyone going sue happy.

Game Engines: Adaptable Examples​

user
Hello. Today I have a challenge for you. Please put on your best tech hat and act as a world class computer scientist. I have several games I have been playing and some of them have a common demoninator in the dreamcast and on n64 as well as other systems I don't play much. Now, the game engines appear adaptable in these games and I need to find the games that are on both systems that have the most 'maleable' game engine to date. :)
ChatGPT
Hello! That sounds like an interesting challenge. When it comes to identifying games that have adaptable or malleable game engines across multiple platforms like Dreamcast, N64, and others, there are a few key factors to consider:

1. **Cross-Platform Availability:** Games that were developed for multiple platforms often have engines designed to be portable and adaptable. This is especially true for games released on both the Dreamcast and N64, as these platforms had different hardware architectures.

2. **Modifiability:** Some game engines are designed with modifiability in mind, allowing for easier customization and adaptation by developers. Games with such engines tend to have a vibrant modding community, which can indicate the adaptability of the engine.

3. **Developer Tools:** The availability of robust developer tools and support for custom content creation can also contribute to the adaptability of a game engine.

Based on these criteria, some games that might fit the bill include:

1. **Quake III Arena:** Released on multiple platforms including Dreamcast and N64, the Quake III engine is known for its modifiability and has a history of extensive community mods and custom content.

2. **Unreal Tournament:** Another popular multiplayer shooter released on multiple platforms, Unreal Tournament's engine (Unreal Engine) is highly adaptable and has been used in a wide range of games beyond the original title.

3. **Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series:** These games were released on both Dreamcast and N64, and their engine (known as the "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Engine") was praised for its smooth gameplay and flexibility, allowing for various skateboarding tricks and environments.

4. **Resident Evil series:** While not strictly known for their adaptability, the Resident Evil games released on Dreamcast and N64 (such as Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis) utilized the same engine (the "Resident Evil Engine"), which was capable of rendering detailed environments and cinematic scenes.

These are just a few examples, and there are likely other games that fit the criteria of having adaptable engines across multiple platforms. Additionally, advancements in emulation and game development tools have made it possible for developers and modders to further adapt and modify older game engines for new platforms and experiences.
user
Thank you because you just pointed out one of the unlooked reasons for a. emulation being legal b. something most people don't consider when playing a system. Now would you consider star wars episode 1 racer to be among these?
ChatGPT
Star Wars Episode I: Racer is an interesting case. Released on multiple platforms including the Dreamcast and N64, it utilized a custom engine developed specifically for the game. While it may not have as extensive a modding community as some of the other games mentioned, its engine was designed to deliver fast-paced racing gameplay with detailed tracks and podracers.

The adaptability of the engine used in Star Wars Episode I: Racer depends on what you mean by adaptable. In terms of portability across different platforms, the engine was likely tailored for each specific platform it was released on rather than being easily adaptable across various systems.

However, in terms of gameplay mechanics and the ability to create diverse tracks and environments within the constraints of the game's universe, one could argue that the engine was adaptable to a certain extent. It allowed for the creation of varied podracing tracks with different obstacles and environments inspired by the Star Wars universe.

So while Star Wars Episode I: Racer may not fit the criteria of having a highly adaptable engine in the same way as games like Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament, it still showcased the technical capabilities of its era and provided an enjoyable racing experience across multiple platforms.
user
When I add xBRZ filter to this game with an n64 emulator I get a more immerse but less fast paced practice. It is not something I can do on the dreamcast version. This is profound as this is an experience not typically seen, but its there on the for emulation, isn't it?
ChatGPT
Yes, absolutely! Adding a filter like xBRZ to enhance the graphics of a game being emulated on an N64 emulator can indeed provide a more immersive experience, even if it sacrifices some of the original game's fast-paced nature. This is one of the fascinating aspects of emulation – it allows players to customize their gaming experience in ways that were not possible on the original hardware.

The xBRZ filter, in particular, is known for its ability to upscale and enhance the graphics of retro games, providing smoother edges and improved visual quality. While this may impact the performance of the game and potentially alter its original feel, it opens up new possibilities for players to revisit classic titles with a fresh perspective.

The fact that this experience is available through emulation highlights the versatility and adaptability of emulation software, allowing players to explore games in ways that were not originally intended or possible on the original hardware. It's a testament to the ongoing innovation and creativity within the gaming community, as well as the enduring appeal of classic titles like Star Wars Episode I: Racer.
user
It wasn't just the filter though. I think it has to do with stretching the screen for fullscreen wheres the dreamcast emulation could not do this. The aspect ratio slowed game. I found this interesting because it not only provided that new perspectice it uterally changed the gameplay.
ChatGPT
Ah, I see. Stretching the screen for fullscreen on the N64 emulator, as opposed to the Dreamcast emulation which maintained the original aspect ratio, could indeed have a significant impact on gameplay beyond just the addition of a filter. Altering the aspect ratio can affect how the game is displayed and perceived by the player, potentially changing the field of view and how objects are positioned on the screen.

In some cases, stretching the screen to fit a different aspect ratio can result in a wider or narrower field of view, which may affect the player's ability to anticipate obstacles or navigate through the game world. This could lead to a perceived slowdown in gameplay as players adjust to the new perspective and make changes to their gameplay strategies.

Additionally, stretching the screen to fullscreen on the N64 emulator may also affect the performance of the game, especially if the original game was optimized for a specific aspect ratio and screen resolution. This could result in a perceived slowdown or changes in the responsiveness of the controls as the game engine adjusts to the altered display settings.

Overall, the combination of stretching the screen for fullscreen and adding a filter like xBRZ can indeed result in a significantly different gameplay experience compared to playing the game on the original hardware or with different emulation settings. It's a fascinating example of how small changes in display settings can have a profound impact on the overall gaming experience.
user
The dreamcast emulator does not do this but it does change the game aspect ratio internally in the game itself. Its just for some reason this game engine works better with the n64 emulator. This causes me to actually want to value the n64 versioin of the game and collect it. This is why emulation should remain legal in all terms.
ChatGPT
I understand now, thank you for clarifying. It seems that the Dreamcast emulator internally adjusts the game's aspect ratio within the game itself, which can affect how the game is displayed on modern screens but may not provide the same level of flexibility as the N64 emulator in terms of stretching the screen for fullscreen.

Your experience with the N64 emulator and the differences it brings to the gameplay of Star Wars Episode I: Racer highlights the importance of preservation and accessibility in gaming. Emulation allows players to experience classic games on modern hardware, often with enhancements and customization options that weren't available on the original platforms.

Legal emulation not only preserves gaming history but also fosters experimentation and innovation within the gaming community. It allows players to explore games in new ways, uncover hidden features, and appreciate the technical achievements of older hardware and software.

Your desire to collect the N64 version of the game based on your experience with emulation underscores the value of physical media and the nostalgic connection that many players have with specific platforms and games.

Ultimately, the availability of legal emulation ensures that classic games remain accessible to future generations of players, while also respecting the rights of game developers and publishers. It's a balance that benefits both players and the gaming industry as a whole.

While this is no paper this is a footer and a header and an outline. I will write a lawfull legal paper before I post everything I have collected in due time on my facebook. I will fuck Nintendo over personally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?