The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - second official trailer revealed

Those eagerly awaiting Breath of the Wild 2 can see some interesting new things in the latest trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. The 2-minute trailer shows both story and gameplay. Tears of the Kingdom launches on the Nintendo Switch on May 12, 2023. A collector's edition and new amiibo will also be available, at launch.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The CE set kinda sucks 'cause they're not even including a Music CD of the game. BotW CE had it! :(

tokse.jpg
The music will be literally avaliable on any Youtube channel before release.

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's called inflation

$73 today is worth as much as $60 in 2017

Actually $70 is a discount - you are effectively paying less money than you paid for BOTW in 2017 - for the same value they should have charged $73

Ditto with wages - wages have increased 27% in that period - by wage inflation the price should be $76

All prices must change - it's why a coke isn't 5c any more - you can't continue to charge the same thing forever or your revenue will be entirely eaten by inflation
Actually, reason why games are around the same price while inflation goes up is because they get a larger amount of customers as the years go on - which means more money. By the same logic, games were VERY expensive in the 80s, 90s because they probably had 1/10th the amount of gamers, however now there are 10x as many people playing video games they get higher sales, and more profit despite inflation.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, reason why games are around the same price while inflation goes up is because they get a larger amount of customers as the years go on - which means more money. By the same logic, games were VERY expensive in the 80s, 90s because they probably had 1/10th the amount of gamers, however now there are 10x as many people playing video games they get higher sales, and more profit despite inflation.
The console market has been stable for decades, the increase in total video games sales is from mobile. In order to keep up revenue with inflation companies have to increase prices to match. As I detailed we are still paying less with $70 in 2023 than we did with $60 in 2017 and wages have increased faster than the price of videogames. All in all we are getting a pretty good deal.

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console market has been stable for decades, the increase in total video games sales is from mobile. In order to keep up revenue with inflation companies have to increase prices to match. As I detailed we are still paying less with $70 in 2023 than we did with $60 in 2017 and wages have increased faster than the price of videogames. All in all we are getting a pretty good deal.
I dont think it matters what platfrom the video games are on, it just matters if these companies are making more sales overall and a lot of them have started producing mobile games, so now they can then keep pumping out games at prices that are relatively affordable to many more gamers around the world.

I do agree however, if we really want to compare video game content (hours in game) to the cost even with inflation, we are getting significantly more value as time goes by. Just think about how much a game offerered like Mario Kart on the N64 in 1997 vs Mario Kart 8 on the switch while they share close to the same cost at launch. So maybe now as games are priced a little higher hopefully we are getting more content to justify the price increase and yes with inflation. Although some games do skimp or provide the same amount despite the price increase, which can be greedy I think, or its because they just arent making the cut and are falling behind with sales.

Here is a source of overall video game revenue throughtout history. In 1990 (adjusted for inflation) it was ~$31B, compared to 2017 ~$109B.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Video_game_industry

Reactions: x65943

SolanaRafael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You loved the maaahoosive empty map with endless shrines, and this trailer that showed nothing at all gameplay sense, ohhh wait you just redeemed yourself.

Because Nintendo themselves even admitted to the fact that the base game BOTW had fuck all to it (like most shit/switch games), they thought to release the game, make sales to fun work on the next, but Breath of the TURD!!! had fuck all GOING FOR IT!!!

Hence all of their DLC ideas crammed into a new game.

Sorry but Idiots who bought into MK8 Wii port are just pure cash cow idiots, Nintendo laughing more at you for buying this shit game, then even more so, buying into the new content that should have been MK9 Switch......

But nooo, Nintendo fans are really pure fucking morons, keeping this company afloat when they release the same shit, same recycled crap, and when it comes to online, what ya get....... more OLD SHIT!!!

Too fucking tight to throw up some AAA titles, but hey, guess it be hard for nintendo to throw up some third party AAA titles, when they fail to get the sales nintendo promise, hence why third parties fuck nintendo off to start with.

So will the next gen be the end of this cashcow company, will the world see sense that we do not need a new console to play the same old nintendo shit.....

save our money, buy the the consoles that bring us new game, and if needed, emulate anything nintendo release on our mobile/pc or other handheld devices that are superior to anything nintendo would release as a console.

but guess this will never happen, nintendo have too many icons the sheep love and blindly buy, its like plankton has shoved his bucket hat on all of nintendo fans....... we must obey!!!!

i wasted nearly an hour last night watching ninteno's direct and wow what a crock of shit it was, after all these years of promise of better support..... absolutely fuck all, STILL TO DATE.
Thoroughly agree with this, as a 35yo who grew up with the NES and avid Mario/Zelda fan it's really hard not seeing through Nintendo's shit way of business and how they get away with doing bare minimums.

I'm specially annoyed at what they did to Zelda, I get they had to do something different and I enjoyed the "freshness" of BOTW but it's got no replay value and it's time to revisit the foundations of the franchise, sadly doesn't look like we will get that and it's saddening to realize we are over a decade since the last "traditional" release (SS), which was already an average experience, it's unexcusable to take so much development time. At this rate I will die before I get to play another Zelda like OOT or TP or even WW

Reactions: _TheGuy_ and Ligeia

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simple the corprate greed
Yep, because they can.

The game will sell stupidly well whether that's the Standard physical/digital version or the Collector's Edition. CE... Nintendo is really getting lazy with their CEs as they don't even include a pouch nor a Music CD like they did with BotW.

Heck, I even thought about buying the successor of the Switch precisely for this game, but after seeing the trailer, uh, no. Maybe they'll prove me wrong with a new trailer that's not so much BotW DLC-ish.

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, because they can.

The game will sell stupidly well whether that's the Standard physical/digital version or the Collector's Edition. CE... Nintendo is really getting lazy with their CEs as they don't even include a pouch nor a Music CD like they did with BotW.

Heck, I even thought about buying the successor of the Switch precisely for this game, but after seeing the trailer, uh, no. Maybe they'll prove me wrong with a new trailer that's not so much BotW DLC-ish.
The trailer just looks like a mod for the game barely scratching the dlc level

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thoroughly agree with this, as a 35yo who grew up with the NES and avid Mario/Zelda fan it's really hard not seeing through Nintendo's shit way of business and how they get away with doing bare minimums.

I'm specially annoyed at what they did to Zelda, I get they had to do something different and I enjoyed the "freshness" of BOTW but it's got no replay value and it's time to revisit the foundations of the franchise, sadly doesn't look like we will get that and it's saddening to realize we are over a decade since the last "traditional" release (SS), which was already an average experience, it's unexcusable to take so much development time. At this rate I will die before I get to play another Zelda like OOT or TP or even WW
I'm exactly like you. Sadly I don't think a true new Zelda game is going to happen anytime soon, given how BOTW has been unduly praised by press and fanboys. Nintendo will obviously milk this popularity to the last drop and keep on releasing lazier and lazier iterations of the BOTW formula.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If the game is good I'll buy it and be a satisfied customer. If the game is not good I'll buy it anyway and be an unsatisfied customer.

The price is justified because the game is on a more expensive 32GB cart and when you take inflation into account you're still paying slightly less for this than you did for Breath of the Wild in 2017.

Whether the game feels like a new game or just expensive DLC is a valid concern. Seeing areas from Breath of the Wild appear in the trailer worries me. We'll just have to wait and see on this point.

I also prefer the Ocarina of Time formula over the Breath of the Wild formula.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price is justified because the game is on a more expensive 32GB cart and when you take inflation into account you're still paying slightly less for this than you did for Breath of the Wild in 2017.
Let's be honest, Nintendo only decided to charge for online play because Xbox and PlayStation were already doing it, so now they're charging $70 because others are doing it, too.

PlayStation used to offer free online play on PS3, but on PS4 they saw what a success Xbox LIVE was and so they went for it. Nintendo's NSO service in comparison is pretty barebones and disappointing, imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol