Tears of the Kingdom is both the fastest-selling Zelda game and fastest-selling Nintendo game of all time

gjfidgd.png

In less than a week since the game launched The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is crushing records. The game sold a massive 10 million copies worldwide, making it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, as well as the fastest selling Nintendo Switch title, on top of being the fastest-selling game in Nintendo history, at least in The Americas. For reference, the game's predecessor, Breath of the Wild, is currently sitting at 30 million copies sold in its lifetime, meaning Tears of the Kingdom has sold a third of the amount in just 6 days.

:arrow: Source

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Businesses today purposely try to use as many metrics as possible, even if most of them end up sounding redundant. It makes them look good during press releases, announcements, and stock holder meetings.

Nintendo has specifically Tweeted "highest selling Switch game in {insert region here}". Since I haven't seen them mention China yet we have to assume Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still holds that title over there.

I know why it's good press for Nintendo, lol.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know why it's good press for Nintendo, lol.
That really wasn't the main point. The main point is that just because a Zelda game sells really well and becomes the fastest-selling Zelda game, it doesn't mean it automatically becomes the fastest-selling game on the Nintendo Switch overall. We need to consider sales from all regions. I believe Zelda will achieve that claim, but the current sales numbers don't make the wording redundant. Once we have all the sales information, they can simply say it's the fastest-selling Zelda game worldwide.

In an alternate universe, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon for the CDi is the fastest selling Zelda game.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That really wasn't the main point. The main point is that just because a Zelda game sells really well and becomes the fastest-selling Zelda game, it doesn't mean it automatically becomes the fastest-selling game on the Nintendo Switch overall. We need to consider sales from all regions. I believe Zelda will achieve that claim, but the current sales numbers don't make the wording redundant. Once we have all the sales information, they can simply say it's the fastest-selling Zelda game worldwide.

In an alternate universe, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon for the CDi is the fastest selling Zelda game.

It's already in the title. It's Nintendo's fastest selling game. That should be enough information to infer that it's the fastest selling Zelda game. This isn't difficult to understand.

Nobody said it's the fastest selling switch game. That, we can't infer. We can infer that it's Nintendo's fastest selling Nintendo Switch game, though.

Last edited by tabzer,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's already in the title. It's Nintendo's fastest selling game. That should be enough information to infer that it's the fastest selling Zelda game. This isn't difficult to understand.

Nobody said it's the fastest selling switch game. That, we can't infer. We can infer that it's Nintendo's fastest selling Nintendo Switch game, though.
Logically your argument is not sound. The required information about Nintendo being the only one who makes Zelda game is missing. ( whether it’s true or not is another matter )

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Logically your argument is not sound. The required information about Nintendo being the only one who makes Zelda game is missing. ( whether it’s true or not is another matter )
Well, sure. If you want to factor in a snowball's chance in hell.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I want to get involved in the ever valuable semantics argument, but tabzer is correct. The title of the thread is redundant. I would've gone with something like "Tears of the Kingdom is not only the fastest selling Zelda game, but Nintendos fastest selling game of all time".

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not that I want to get involved in the ever valuable semantics argument, but tabzer is correct. The title of the thread is redundant. I would've gone with something like "Tears of the Kingdom is not only the fastest selling Zelda game, but Nintendos fastest selling game of all time".
Lol, @JuanMena got confused by @Noctosphere's comment on the first few posts. This is the result of trying to explain it.

• Haha
Reactions: Noctosphere

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was my fav Zelda game and I enjoyed every minute of beating that game.
All 4 of them? Lol... I can't believe a bug that gets you to the end in less than 4 minutes has never been patched. Re-releases and all (Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo Game and Watch, etc...)

Uhhh... What? If you're trying to play on the lower case s in switch, then what exactly is a "switch game"? And how exactly is ToTK a switch game? I mean... it does have switches in it, but that's a miniscule part of the game...

Last edited by urherenow,
  • Haha
Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Uhhh... What? If you're trying to play on the lower case s in switch, then what exactly is a "switch game"? And how exactly is ToTK a switch game? I mean... it does have switches in it, but that's a miniscule part of the game...
We don't know. Even if I was the first to mention it :P, I already said that we can't come to a conclusion about it.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The opposite of love is indifference. Clearly everyone here care so much about totk that they can't help themself from having it on their mind.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Agreed. It appears that some people are overlooking the fact that Nintendo approached Capcom to develop a few Zelda games. In those specific cases Nintendo was the publisher and added input during development but Capcom made the games.

It's worth noting that while Nintendo is the primary developer of the Legend of Zelda series, there have been instances where they collaborated with other studios, such as Capcom for Oracle of Ages/Seasons and The Minish Cap.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All 4 of them? Lol... I can't believe a bug that gets you to the end in less than 4 minutes has never been patched. Re-releases and all (Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo Game and Watch, etc...)
Context is everything. Go back and read my original comment since it was in reference to the SNES version which is the original.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto