Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
but they didn't buy a fucking harder mode!
You're right, there is no hard mode in Skyrim. It's incredibly easy unless you mod it. As for Zelda, correct me if I'm wrong, but no, a "hard mode" has not been commonly included in these games. The game on "normal mode" can be hard anyway, and be made challenging by the player in any number of ways. You can run straight for the end bosses without acquiring any equipment, and they do like 7 hearts per hit of damage.

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
CONFIRMED? IS YOUR DAD NINTENDO EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH?

dude chill with the caps haha

Because gee, nobody bought the DLC for Skyrim or Witcher 3, right? There's nothing wrong with adding more content to an already 40+ hour game. Especially if you price it right, and $20 is among the cheapest pricing for a season pass that I've ever seen. FFS RE7 is like 10-12 hours on the high end, and they want $30 just to make it a respectable amount of content (in the future).

here hoping BoTW would be a great game and the upcoming DLC would justify it, like The Last of Us, or Witcher 3's expansion.

ZELDA HARD MODE IS NOT IN THE GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE THE DLC. were talking about zelda here fuck resident evil.

yeah, it's disheartening that most games I encounter let's you choose hard mode from the start, whereas BoTW has a paywall for it..

edit: Yes I know DLCs are not mandatory and you are not forced to buy them, but hard mode on a paywall is a new low for Nintendo for me..

Last edited by kiryu1,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most people aren't mad about the extra story dlc that gets released later on but about locking features such as hard mode with a paywall. If you don't get mad about Nintendo locking these features wich def are cut from the game since they could easily be implemented through an update whatsoever then you are just 2 busy riding Nintendo's cock.
you dont know that though. their wording is very deliberate, it says "new hard mode" which to me implies that theres already one in the game

Reactions: PkPizza and Xzi

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The point of DLC is adding story afterwards but not adding features. Features should always come out with updates and not offered as DLC wich is just shitty and scummy. Normally DLC comes as enrichment to the original story expanding the universe but adding features shouldn't be behind a locked paywall.

well, youre pretty wrong there

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
it's the principal of it. it's showing you the path nintendo is taking now 1st mobile shit with micro$ and now THIS. what's next charging for power ups in mario odyssey?!
Okay now you're definitely talking out your ass rather than thinking through these comments. Nintendo's mobile games are extremely generous, I haven't spent a penny on PokeDuels or Fire Emblem Heroes, but I still have a ton of the rarest and best characters in both. Beyond that, obviously their mobile IPs have nothing to do with full AAA 40 hour games like BotW.

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
unsure I will get it at first, as a zelda fan if I think the game deserve it I might get that dlc.
I mean yeah hard mode are funny but nothing beat that three heart no refill challenge that all Zelda have ahah

So truly if the game is good (I haven't checked any video or anything to prevent spoiler), then I will get it 20e issn't deadly, that the price I spent on keys for rocket league, a things that is already in game for content that is in game ahah
Joking around I understand why peeps cry over it to be honest ^^'

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
it's POINTLESS trying to reason with fanboyz!
You have a double-standard when it comes to Nintendo that you aren't recognizing. That's the problem. A DLC season pass for any other new AAA game is going to be $30+, and people pay it without a second thought. If nobody wants to pay well below-average prices for Nintendo quality content, then Nintendo quality content won't be around much longer.

On another note, here's some dope art for the new prepaid eShop cards. It's $20, for this season pass and possibly also the price of yearly online: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/nintendo_eshop/posacard/aaaaa/index.html

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a double-standard when it comes to Nintendo that you aren't recognizing. That's the problem. A DLC season pass for any other new AAA game is going to be $30+, and people pay it without a second thought. If nobody wants to pay well below-average prices for Nintendo quality content, then Nintendo quality content won't be around much longer.

I read a sarcastic tweet about someone, who's a Zelda fan, can't believe that DLC is coming later in the year rather than waiting years for a new Zelda game, so bad. Again, sarcastic, but consider how infrequent Zelda games are, this is a bonus, there's nothing known about the game's difficulty, if there's hard mode included and thus this DLC will be "super hard" or something. Also, scrape a bit of money to break even or something, I would imagine that Zelda game wasn't made cheaply. I mean, it's spending $20 for what will possibly be 10 or more hours of content, for this year, rather than get nothing more and wait years for the next mainline Zelda game.

I admit to being a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, who actually has played very little Zelda, but I think my argument's well presented.

Reactions: DarthDub and Xzi

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're right, there is no hard mode in Skyrim. It's incredibly easy unless you mod it. As for Zelda, correct me if I'm wrong, but no, a "hard mode" has not been commonly included in these games. The game on "normal mode" can be hard anyway, and be made challenging by the player in any number of ways. You can run straight for the end bosses without acquiring any equipment, and they do like 7 hearts per hit of damage.
Don't Zelda games usually have a Hero Mode of some kind now? Although it's the cheapest way of making a game "hard" - it just multiplies what damage you take and limits healing options. Considering this is paid, I'd expect some far more significant overhauls in whatever this hard mode is going to be.

As for the price tag, it really depends on what the content is exactly and how much effort they put into it. If it's just lazy stuff like double damage hard mode and a new "dungeon" that's just an enemy gauntlet, that's pretty shitty, but then you can just not buy it. For the story DLC, it really depends on whether it's needed to make the game's story feel whole or more of a side thing. If it's the latter, there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Xzi

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah...11 pages of (mostly) hatred. Time for something obvious that apparently HAS to be said:

The game isn't out yet.

Yes, like you, I'm all against DLC if developers go with the "drug dealer" approach, meaning devs that ship the game with just enough content to get you addicted, and then let you pay through the nose on things that should have been there in the first place.

Perhaps unlike most of you, I've played games that were good, lengthy, had plenty of content and customization within. It also had DLC, which was decently priced and well worth the money.

So...how about we wait until AFTER the game is released and reviewed before we damn nintendo for...well...working on a Zelda game ?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the fuck. $20 is way too much.

$20 for two expansions and extra content. yeah, way too exspensive compared to other DLC's that cost $50 just for skins or extra FPS maps.

Nintendo does DLC right imo, I'll have no problem shelling out an extra $20 for what already looks to be a 100+ hour game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==