Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
$20 for two expansions and extra content. yeah, way too exspensive compared to other DLC's that cost $50 just for skins or extra FPS maps.

Nintendo does DLC right imo, I'll have no problem shelling out an extra $20 for what already looks to be a 100+ hour game.

I'm not seeing the issue. Its not like this is content that is locked away on day 1, its being made long after the main content is completed.

Would you have preferred to get this game by the holiday season instead?
I think the problem is Nintendo jumped the gun and announced it too early. They should have waited for a while.

For example I didn't have issues with the Mario Kart 8 DLC. And the price also wasn't too bad. I remember most people were positive about it then.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, part of it is locked away on day 1, but the expansion content will be available later in the year.
Alright fair enough. But I stand by what I said about it being developed long after its release.

LoZ: Ocarina of Time is my most favorite game of all time and if you read the development on it the final game we got isnt even everything they wanted to do. I would of gladly paid for DLC just to have the completed vision of what the game was meant to be like.

Unicorn fountain, sword beams, Temple of Time dungeon, etc

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LoZ: Ocarina of Time is my most favorite game of all time and if you read the development on it the final game we got isnt even everything they wanted to do. I would of gladly paid for DLC just to have the completed vision of what the game was meant to be like.

Exactly my thoughts too about OoT. I still play that game every few years because I love it so much. I can't say I would pay for DLC if they came out with it now for OoT, but back then I sure as hell would have.

I'm actually excited about BotW DLC, and it's pretty ridiculous for people to be surprised they're coming out with it even after Aonuma mentioned in basically every interview that "They didn't have time to put in everything they wanted to".

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But this time Nintendo is doing it so they are criminals, but other companies can do it.
The third comment in this thread with the same strawman. If you have read the previous comments, you would have known that this is not the reason (the actual reason is because Nintendo is now doing it, too; no one is being singled out).

However, I do agree with Nintendo jumping the gun on DLC before releasing the game. They should have waited, instead, until the game is released and sells.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the core game is 40 hours, and the DLC is an additional 40 hours, then I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I expect it the core game and DLC will be far shorter.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
If the core game is 40 hours, and the DLC is an additional 40 hours, then I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I expect it the core game and DLC will be far shorter.
Actually the main developers have come forward and mentioned you can complete the game within 15 minutes of starting play and that is only if your a very skilled player and beating the main boss. Most players probably like you and me would have to play the game endless to get link to a suitable level to be able to beat the main boss so for most normal players the end would never happen and be totally out of reach, this is probably more aimed at those hardcore adult diaper wearer players that just haven't even got time to take a piss properly, let alone go to the actual toilet and do it!.

A video with an interview with Miyamoto & Aonuma, its actually quite interesting I watched it late last night!

Last edited by Reecey,

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But this time Nintendo is doing it so they are criminals, but other companies can do it.
I am pretty sure everyone doesn't like DLC no matter the company.

DLC would be fine, but it's not reasonably priced. Seems designed to increase revenue, and seems a very poor value across the board.

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone is a rhythm game. The base game is free but it only has 2 songs. The "Future Tone Bundle" costs $54 and has 222 more songs, about $0.25 a song. The "Future Tone Season Pass" costs $25 and has 12 songs, about $2 a song. It's not reasonably priced.

I don't think the BotW DLC is reasonably priced either.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great........
Another unfinished/extorting game. Just what we need on starting day Nintendo. Oh and a shit lineup. Sounds like its gonna bomb now -_-
But to be fair before you all start raging at me, COD has been doing it for years, only they have like 2-3 map packs, at like $15+. Each.

I just don't think $20 is worth is just for an extra map and an extra difficulty.
Throw in like, a remastered 3D four swords and I'd be with it though

Last edited by Sketchy1,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am pretty sure everyone doesn't like DLC no matter the company.

DLC would be fine, but it's not reasonably priced. Seems designed to increase revenue, and seems a very poor value across the board.

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone is a rhythm game. The base game is free but it only has 2 songs. The "Future Tone Bundle" costs $54 and has 222 more songs, about $0.25 a song. The "Future Tone Season Pass" costs $25 and has 12 songs, about $2 a song. It's not reasonably priced.

I don't think the BotW DLC is reasonably priced either.
the price is very reasonable actually (same with the project diva dlc).
"I am pretty sure everyone doesn't like DLC no matter the company." yeah, thats why the cod and bf dlcs sell like crazy, because everyone hates dlc right? youre actually in the minority here

Reactions: Maximilious

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Day 1 dlc, eh? Welp, Nintendo's finally gotten along with the times :tpi:

This ain't no different like when Crapcom released the end of Asura as paid DLC.
tumblr_inline_oh30ynyxUT1snyrrg_540.png
There's the misconception. Asura's Wrath Final Story DLC was locked behind DLC despite being already on disc. That's a significant portion of the game locked behind a paywall.

BotW, on the other hand, is most likely already finished with its main game, story and all, and the expansion DLC is content being made after.

Tbh, all we can really do is wait and see when the game releases. Maybe people can look through the Wii U version to find out if a lot of content is really locked behind a paywall. Again, we can only wait and see. Still too early to judge the game or Nintendo.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if a GOTY edition will surface eventually?

I like collecting first party games and hate the fact DLC wouldn't be archived as a hard copy for future use.

I've had a sleep on it and if they create something amazing, something huge and worthwhile: like the Mario kart 8 DLC, then I'll be happy to buy into it.

I don't have a choice really if I want to experience everything BOTW will offer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE