Tears of the Kingdom producer Eiji Aonuma rules out the possibility of DLC for the game

sddefault.jpg

In an exclusive interview with Famitsu today, Eiji Aonuma and Hidemaro Fujibayashi got to share many of their experiences when developing the highly acclaimed sequel to the 2017 game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In the interview, both Aonuma and Fujibayashi talk about how the early stages of development begun, starting right after the additional content (DLC) for Breath of the Wild was finished, and then going through how the new abilities for Link came into fruition, like Ultra Hand and Autobuild, the newly added caves and underground areas, as well as the sky sections, the Zonai's introduction as well as their devices, the trials, Dungeons, Koroks, Ganondorf's inclusion, amongst many other interesting topics regarding the new entry in the Zelda franchise.

One point of interest from this interview, however, is when both Aonuma and Fujibayashi were asked about a possible sequel or even new "stages", to which Aonoma replies that they currently have no plans for any kind of additional content, given that they chose to make a sequel with the reasoning that they could still add new experiences and ways to play in this new Hyrule from where they left off with Breath of the Wild.

Here's the full section talking about the additional content from the interview, but be aware that the original interview by Famitsu was written in full Japanese, so this translation might not be 100% accurate:

Famitsu's Interview said:
-Now then, I'd like to hear about your next work... I think there are various possibilities, whether it's a further sequel or a new stage.

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next work, but I'm thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. I can only say that I do not know at the moment what form it will take.

Aonuma: There are no plans to release additional content at this time, but that's because it feels like we've done everything we can to create games in that world. In the first place, the reason why we chose this time as a sequel to the previous game is because we thought there would be value in experiencing new play in that place in Hyrule. Then, if such a reason is newly born, it may return to the same world again. Whether it's a sequel or a new work, I think it will be a completely new way to play, so I'd be happy if you could look forward to it.

If you're interested in reading the full interview by Famitsu, be sure to check out the source link at the bottom, and if you're a native Japanese speaker willing to polish up the translation, be sure to do so on the comments. Any corrections to the interview's translation will be added accordingly and with proper credits.

:arrow: Source

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"No plans" does not mean "no DLC", as seen on FF16.
No corporation is willing to take a firm stance on anything these days (or ever, for that matter).

Oh I'm well aware of this.
If there's one company who's known for their hypocritical stands and words (aside from EA) is Nintendo themselves.
Let's not forget how they claimed so many times that the Switch would not ditch out 3DS or rather the handheld space they had, and compare that to now.

They might still do it, but until the so called rumoured Direct of September comes around, we might not know for sure until a full year has passed since the game's release, since that's more or less the downtime given for announcing DLC for new titles.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If a Switch 2 is really coming up (and I do think it is), I don't think they are working on DLC for such a game. They're probably thinking about the next entry for the next console already

Reactions: ganons and Xzi

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a Switch 2 is really coming up (and I do think it is), I don't think they are working on DLC for such a game. They're probably thinking about the next entry for the next console already
Yeah really all we know is that whenever they announce it it will not be released before the end of the fiscal year.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What about the underwater world for BotW 3 ?? :rofl:

Basically BotW is confirmed to have been some sort of demo for TotK... :sleep:

Remember BotW is a Wii U game ?

Last edited by Ligeia,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"No plans" does not mean "no DLC", as seen on FF16.
Difference is the sales numbers weren't in yet for FF16 when they said that. Nintendo already knows TotK is successful, there just isn't really anything to add because it's basically "BotW Complete Edition" as-is. It's time better spent beginning work on the next Zelda game for Switch 2 (please no more open world).

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(please no more open world).
and bring back actual dungeon too

they also need to bring back this fabulous, classic and so memorable item
1694027743935.png

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just...please move on from TotK, and bring back what made the series so enjoyable - the traditional formula. No stamina, no breakable weapons or shields, no open-world. Proper, long dungeons with minibosses and interesting main bosses and dungeon items; a whole arsenal of gear and upgrades obtained throughout the adventure. Heart Pieces and other game-specific collectibles (like treasure maps in The Wind Waker or Poes in Twilight Princess or the variety of masks in Majora's Mask).

I'm playing TotK right now, with cheats and save editors to get rid of the truly-frustrating stuff and making it tolerable, but the Wind and Water Temples were extremely disappointing. Sure, they're better than the stupid Divine Beasts, but...they're just way too small, way too lacking in 'miniboss' and 'dungeon item' and just proper LoZ dungeon design - they've got nothing on Lakebed Temple or TWW's Wind Temple or OoT's Forest Temple, let alone others.

Bring back GOOD game design, Nintendo.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just...please move on from TotK, and bring back what made the series so enjoyable - the traditional formula. No stamina, no breakable weapons or shields, no open-world. Proper, long dungeons with minibosses and interesting main bosses and dungeon items; a whole arsenal of gear and upgrades obtained throughout the adventure. Heart Pieces and other game-specific collectibles (like treasure maps in The Wind Waker or Poes in Twilight Princess or the variety of masks in Majora's Mask).

I'm playing TotK right now, with cheats and save editors to get rid of the truly-frustrating stuff and making it tolerable, but the Wind and Water Temples were extremely disappointing. Sure, they're better than the stupid Divine Beasts, but...they're just way too small, way too lacking in 'miniboss' and 'dungeon item' and just proper LoZ dungeon design - they've got nothing on Lakebed Temple or TWW's Wind Temple or OoT's Forest Temple, let alone others.

Bring back GOOD game design, Nintendo.
They already told that they won't be coming back to the old formula.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly would rather they don't spend a year making dlc and instead start work on the next game

Would be cool if the New switch U & knuckles launched with a new Zelda

Reactions: Noctosphere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto