Tears of the Kingdom producer Eiji Aonuma rules out the possibility of DLC for the game

sddefault.jpg

In an exclusive interview with Famitsu today, Eiji Aonuma and Hidemaro Fujibayashi got to share many of their experiences when developing the highly acclaimed sequel to the 2017 game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In the interview, both Aonuma and Fujibayashi talk about how the early stages of development begun, starting right after the additional content (DLC) for Breath of the Wild was finished, and then going through how the new abilities for Link came into fruition, like Ultra Hand and Autobuild, the newly added caves and underground areas, as well as the sky sections, the Zonai's introduction as well as their devices, the trials, Dungeons, Koroks, Ganondorf's inclusion, amongst many other interesting topics regarding the new entry in the Zelda franchise.

One point of interest from this interview, however, is when both Aonuma and Fujibayashi were asked about a possible sequel or even new "stages", to which Aonoma replies that they currently have no plans for any kind of additional content, given that they chose to make a sequel with the reasoning that they could still add new experiences and ways to play in this new Hyrule from where they left off with Breath of the Wild.

Here's the full section talking about the additional content from the interview, but be aware that the original interview by Famitsu was written in full Japanese, so this translation might not be 100% accurate:

Famitsu's Interview said:
-Now then, I'd like to hear about your next work... I think there are various possibilities, whether it's a further sequel or a new stage.

Fujibayashi: I don't know if it will be the next work, but I'm thinking about what the "next fun experience" will be. I can only say that I do not know at the moment what form it will take.

Aonuma: There are no plans to release additional content at this time, but that's because it feels like we've done everything we can to create games in that world. In the first place, the reason why we chose this time as a sequel to the previous game is because we thought there would be value in experiencing new play in that place in Hyrule. Then, if such a reason is newly born, it may return to the same world again. Whether it's a sequel or a new work, I think it will be a completely new way to play, so I'd be happy if you could look forward to it.

If you're interested in reading the full interview by Famitsu, be sure to check out the source link at the bottom, and if you're a native Japanese speaker willing to polish up the translation, be sure to do so on the comments. Any corrections to the interview's translation will be added accordingly and with proper credits.

:arrow: Source

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They already told that they won't be coming back to the old formula.
For fuck's sake - WHY.
The "old formula" was so much fun compared to this, or really anything else they could come up with?

Ocarina of Time, the first 3D Zelda game, is a much more enjoyable game than these two turds - it had solid dungeon design, especially for being the first iteration (Water Temple was given needed polish for OoT3D, for example), and solid gameplay everywhere else. Sure, Hyrule Field was mainly empty and crossing it could take a while - but that also applies to BotW/TotK's Hyrule, and was cleaned up in MM and onwards.
Ice Arrows were completely optional and easily missed, but then so is most of BotW/TotK's content.

This series may as well be dead, if they're not going to bring back what made it so compelling, so replayable.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't have said it better :grog:
I struggle to tell if people still refer to the game as a DLC ironically or not. Because this game is an entirely different beast when compared to Botw. Kinda never want to play Botw now lol.
Post automatically merged:

For fuck's sake - WHY.
The "old formula" was so much fun compared to this, or really anything else they could come up with?

Ocarina of Time, the first 3D Zelda game, is a much more enjoyable game than these two turds - it had solid dungeon design, especially for being the first iteration (Water Temple was given needed polish for OoT3D, for example), and solid gameplay everywhere else. Sure, Hyrule Field was mainly empty and crossing it could take a while - but that also applies to BotW/TotK's Hyrule, and was cleaned up in MM and onwards.
Ice Arrows were completely optional and easily missed, but then so is most of BotW/TotK's content.

This series may as well be dead, if they're not going to bring back what made it so compelling, so replayable.
If anything this is back to the roots. The Zelda formula that most people know was established in LTTP. But the formula of the original Zelda especially is very very comparable to this new formula. Also you say that everything is missable in this new formula, but isnt that the point? You play through what you want and can ignore 90% of you want to. The goal is kinda to explore how you want, what you want.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s a shame they aren’t doing DLC, especially since BOTW and AOC did, though I guess public opinion is the BOTW games are the worst in the series so kudos to all of you I guess. Perhaps Nintendo feels the extra $10 they charged for the game makes up for not having a paid DLC. I just wish there was a story expansion to fill in TOTK’s plot holes (like, who tf were the sages, what happened to most of the Sheikah tech, where did Kass go, why did Yunobo seemingly loose his protection powers, etc).

As for the future I hope they continue the BOTW series because I know myself and many others really like this version of Hyrule and want to see it further expanded on, BUT have a separate team working on brand new traditional 3D Zelda titles. Both types of games sell well and there is a demand for both. I don’t see why Nintendo couldn’t do this except if they simply “don’t want to”, which would be a poor and pretty lame decision on their part. They kinda already did this with Skyward Sword rereleasing in between BOTW and TOTK, so we know both can coexist. Nintendo just needs to make a new one instead of lazy ports.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With older games, with proper game design, you only had a short list of things you needed to obtain to "100%" the games - Heart Pieces, ammo upgrades, Item and Gear screens in general. Like, there used to be only one collectathon thing per game that was a pain in the ass to complete, such as OoT's Golden Skulltulas or TP's Poes, or Link's Awakening's Secret Seashells, but since the worlds were so comparatively small and compact, and the number was 100 or less, it was fine.

BotW and TotK? 900 or 1000 Korok Seeds. 140+ Bubbul Gems. The hundreds of spirit orbs or lights of blessing. The stupid signpost guy in TotK with his unbalanced signs. The goddamn encyclopedia thing of the Pads, and the countless quests. Sage's Wills, light roots, finding all the armour and schematics and stuff.
Talk about unnecessary Hylia-damn bloat.

BotW and TotK are suuuuch one-and-done games. Play them once, hopefully with means to override the utter bullshit they forced in, and them forget about them. They offer nothing worthwhile that previous, superior, games don't already bring to the table.

They already told that they won't be coming back to the old formula.
Oh, also, do you have a quote or source for that, out of curiosity? Where and when was that said?

Reactions: Ligeia

SunsetFelid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sunsetfelid.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
In an exclusive interview with Famitsu today, Eiji Aonuma and Hidemaro Fujibayashi got to share many of their experiences when developing the highly acclaimed sequel to the 2017 game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In the interview, both Aonuma and Fujibayashi talk about how the early stages of development begun, starting right after the additional content (DLC) for Breath of the Wild was finished, and then going through how the new abilities for Link came into fruition, like Ultra Hand and Autobuild, the newly added caves and underground areas, as well as the sky sections, the Zonai's introduction as well as their devices, the trials, Dungeons, Koroks, Ganondorf's inclusion, amongst many other interesting topics regarding the new entry in the Zelda franchise.

One point of interest from this interview, however, is when both Aonuma and Fujibayashi were asked about a possible sequel or even new "stages", to which Aonoma replies that they currently have no plans for any kind of additional content, given that they chose to make a sequel with the reasoning that they could still add new experiences and ways to play in this new Hyrule from where they left off with Breath of the Wild.

Here's the full section talking about the additional content from the interview, but be aware that the original interview by Famitsu was written in full Japanese, so this translation might not be 100% accurate:

If you're interested in reading the full interview by Famitsu, be sure to check out the source link at the bottom, and if you're a native Japanese speaker willing to polish up the translation, be sure to do so on the comments. Any corrections to the interview's translation will be added accordingly and with proper credits.

:arrow: Source
honestly, I think that viewing a game as a full experience from the get-go and refusing to make DLC for it is pretty awesome of them. Too often do developers give players half-finished experiences that are only completed once the DLC is finished (and sometimes, it never is, looking at you, Final Fantasy XV), or are wonderful games made a little less by the DLC they receive (my girlfriend played through all of Moonlighter in a cumulative 4 days of game-time; it was a good game for the cost she got it at, but she was disappointed with the quality of the DLC. Not to the point where it felt like a waste of money, since it was a Complete Edition of the game, but to the point where it did take a bit out of her enjoyment of the game as a whole).

Many gamers have been asking for a while for their games to be complete at launch, and aside from some bugs you'd never see unless you were trying, I think Tears of the Kingdom achieved that. Its so full of content that it's a little intimidating; I picked it up at launch and I haven't finished it simply because there is so much there to do. I hope more studios take from this example, as well as the example of other games high in the running for GOTY 2023, like Baldur's Gate 3.

We want complete experiences, we want quality, and you don't have to crunch your employees to dust to achieve it.

Reactions: Sonic3320

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Give em time.

Great games come from new experiences. i hope they enjoy their vacation to the max! Explore the world, read, watch movies, play other games.

Ask again once their inspiration wells fill up so we don't just dredge the muddy bottom for DLC

theres a reason why RPGs use experience points to advance your character

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I was quite concerned about them possibly making DLCs for this game at first, because I thought they would make basic features DLC-only like they did with BOTW (hero's path mode and travel medallion are some examples).

But once I started playing it I realized that they put almost all items and features from BOTW DLCs into the game, and even those that didn't get into TOTK somewhat got replaced with something similar (if not better): Master Sword fusions replacing Master Sword upgrades, autobuild schematics replacing Master Cycle Zero and the depths replacing Master Mode.

Now looking back at the Breath of the Wild DLCs they feel like a ripoff, especially the first one.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it very hard to believe that they don't have at the very least a Master Mode in the works for the game. (Would love another Trials of the Master Sword experience as well, but I'm not exactly expecting something like that as much as i am expecting another Master Mode.)

Also, why give just enough shrines to fill up all but 2 hearts (or 2 sections of stamina if you're some weirdo), in the 2 rows of hearts? Why not move one heart down from the top row to make it 2 evenly filled out lines?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"No plans" does not mean "no DLC", as seen on FF16.
No corporation is willing to take a firm stance on anything these days (or ever, for that matter).
Well considering this game was actually built on the fact the first game had nothing to start with, just an empty map and repeating the same crap over and over....... sounds same are legends arceus right? Lol even the voices and sounds used seem recycled from zelda.

Anyway, the fact they had so many ideas for DLC, it would be aparently impossible to add to the base game, hence this title. Or should we say lets cash cow another game.

So you cant really make DLC for a game that's actually build from un used DLC.

Fuck me, actually if anyone would pull this off it would be nintendo, adding DLC content to what already was DLC, knowing its fanbase would bend over and highly rate it.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I struggle to tell if people still refer to the game as a DLC ironically or not. Because this game is an entirely different beast when compared to Botw. Kinda never want to play Botw now lol.
Then you admit TotK is just an upgraded version of BotW : it makes BotW completely obsolete precisely because it's the same game with more content and better tablet powers.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
We're gonna get TotK Deluxe for the Switch 2 instead. Calling it now.
Why release $20-$30 DLC for a game, if you can re-release the game with minor extra content and slightly better framerate for full price instead?

I'm honestly okay with TotK not getting DLC. The DLC for BotW was a bit underwhelming, and I feel like TotK has way too much content as it is.

If anything this is back to the roots. The Zelda formula that most people know was established in LTTP. But the formula of the original Zelda especially is very very comparable to this new formula. Also you say that everything is missable in this new formula, but isnt that the point? You play through what you want and can ignore 90% of you want to. The goal is kinda to explore how you want, what you want.
It's different enough that I still think it's worth playing BotW. The majority of the game is the shrines and searching for Korok seeds anyway and those are both optional (and obviously different than in TotK) But it's worth experiencing the story at least, and doing whatever shrines you find along the way.
That's because they'll make a sequel called "Echoes of the Future" where it'll be the same exact game but with four new abilities and a new barren area like the depths. Oh and 70 dollars obviously.
That's not a bad name, actually. Sounds legit enough.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish gaming companies would normalize making a “complete” game versus selling you half a game.

Game is already costing you $70. And people are wondering why people are pirating games

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Moves on to Brand New The Legend of Zelda Game, Rules Out Tears of the Kingdom DLC

Master says so.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ninten...zelda-game-rules-out-tears-of-the-kingdom-dlc

Nintendo has said it has no plans to release DLC for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Nintendo has said it has no plans to release DLC for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and is moving on to a brand new game in the series.

In an interview with Famitsu, Eiji Aonuma, producer of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, ruled out additional content for the Nintendo Switch exclusive.

“There are no plans to release additional content this time, but that's because I feel like we've done everything we can to create fun in that world,” Aonuma said.

It’s a surprising decision considering the enormous success Tears of the Kingdom has enjoyed critically and commercially. It sold 18.51 million units as of June 30, just a month-and-a-half after it came out. That’s more than half the total sales of its predecessor, Breath of the Wild, which has shifted 30.65 million.

It’s also surprising given Breath of the Wild did receive DLC in the form of an expansion pass that added the likes of Master Mode, Hero's Path Mode, trials, and new items. IGN has contacted Nintendo for clarification.

Based on comments in the Famitsu interview, it sounds like Nintendo is now thinking about the next Zelda game instead of Tears of the Kingdom DLC. However, Aonuma did not rule out a return to the Hyrule of Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, potentially setting up a third game.

“In the first place, the reason I decided to make this a sequel to the previous work was because I thought there was value in experiencing a new game in that Hyrule place,” Aonuma said. “If that's the case, if a new reason arises, we might return to the same world again. Whether it's a sequel or a new work, I think it's going to be a completely new game, so I hope you're looking forward to it.”

Director Hidemaro Fujibayashi also chimed in with his own comment: “We are very grateful that so many customers have been playing Tears of the Kingdom for so long and deeply, so we will do our best to make the next game even more enjoyable.”

That's sad. Nintendo would not plan to add DLC for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Means force move to next generation of Nintendo Switch 2 / etc. Nintendo want people to buy another new Zelda games again, again just like DLC add on to separate like break down game feel not finish or complete! :blink:

:(:(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?