USB Loader GX fails to load WiiWare from Hidden USB Device

Pr3tty F1y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe this is ever going to get fixed, so I just wanted to post it for anyone else who comes across the issue.

I'm using USB Loader GX 3.0 Rev 1281 with a PNY 512GB Elite-X Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive (which works great and is huge - I took a chance on it working after extrapolating likely compatible models from existing compatibility lists).

So with that flash drive hidden with UStealth (Windows) or USB_Hide (Wii U) or USB_Toggle (vWii), I can boot my Wii U as normal and the Wii U operating system doesn't bitch about the drive and all is good. I can also boot directly into the vWii by holding B at boot or by the Wii icon in the Wii U OS and with USB Loader GX 3.0 Rev 1281, using virtual emuNAND, I can boot wbfs Wii images will no problem from the hidden drive. However, running WiiWare titles just boots back to the vWii main menu (where I can again run USB Loader GX).

However, unhiding the drive allows WiiWare to boot in USB Loader GX.

This is a bit of a moot point for me as I've also used RiiConnect to install all the WiiWare titles to my SD Card so I can boot them all from the SD Card icon on the Wii main menu (except the non-USA region ones as I'm not sure how to boot out of region games directly from the Wii menu). Also, the SD Card is not hidden and that's also not a thing. I just wanted to state the last sentence to prevent any arguments going down that road. I'm only speaking to hiding the PNY 512GB Elite-X Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to have a seamless solution that would allow launching of both WiiWare and WBFS Wii images from USB Loader GX from a hidden USB drive (particularly due to USB Loader GX being happy to launch games region free). Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case.

So I just wanted to post this for the sake of the community in case anyone else runs into issues launching WiiWare in USB Loader GX. Try unhiding your drive if it's hidden and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y,

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Probably best to ask the maintainers of USB Loader GX in their github:

https://github.com/wiidev/usbloadergx

Although, is using USB Loader GX for Wiiware via USB much better than SNEEK? Like does it support DLC that way (without installing to NAND)? I personally just use SNEEK and disable emunand as needed.

Pr3tty F1y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably best to ask the maintainers of USB Loader GX in their github:

https://github.com/wiidev/usbloadergx

Although, is using USB Loader GX for Wiiware via USB much better than SNEEK? Like does it support DLC that way (without installing to NAND)? I personally just use SNEEK and disable emunand as needed.
I never used SNEEK (nor was I aware of it :-D). I stuck with USB Loader GX as I have nearly 200 WBFS images and 90 wads on it and it just worked (along with downloading all the cover art). It's been a nice consolidated way to access everything under a single app.

SNEEK may be able to do that as well, I'm not sure. I also haven't played around with DLC for the wads. I have the DLC, but it was a concern so I haven't gone down that route (although I think only a like 5 or 6 of the WiiWare titles I have use DLC and I'm not into Rock Band/Dragon's Quest with the uber huge DLC).

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Yeah SNEEK isn't really discussed since on vWii, you need to build a file and no one provides it. I do like that it gives emunand support, so you don't have to worry about running out of save space and you will have DLCs (Just don't go crazy with games like Just Dance 4)

Makes me curious how usb loader GX loads the wads though since it's not using emunand. It probably uses the Wii's awful SD load feature that can wear out the NAND.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto