3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

Dec 11, 2013
  1. Cyan
    OP

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    In an attempt to maintain the section readable and prevent users from creating 50 threads asking the same question over and over (why can't you read other user's threads? the answers are already there!), I'm opening this thread.

The concept works great in the Wii section, so I hope you will use it for 3DS too :
    Post your questions here (even if you don't read all previous pages of this thread), a user will answer it :).

In addition, we will try to maintain a FAQ with all your questions on the Wiki, so please take a look at existing Wiki pages before asking your question, it's probably already answered.

Users are also encouraged at providing this Wiki FAQ to new users asking questions, it will prevent you from writing the same answers every day and becoming angry and sarcastic.

Current Wiki pages for 3DS

Flashcarts reviews

Tools and applications

• 3DS Explorer - Check ROM's informations, convert video to stereoscopy, edit saves, etc.
    • Rom_Tool - Check ROM's header and informations, Trim/Untrim ROMs. You'll also find a modified version of 3DS Explorer in the first post with trimming features added.
    • EmuNAND Tool - Backup and restore your EmuNAND on your SD Card.
    • EvoCRC Offlinelist ROM Manager(http://advanscene.com/) - Rename and verify your ROMs. Screenshot and nfo for all releases. 3DSCRC Successor.

Interesting threads on the forum

Console and hardware related threads:
    3DS Homebrew:

Flashcart related threads:
    Games related threads:

NAND related threads:

Other user's written FAQs and Guides you could find useful

2muchweebs, Amani, TiM127 and 21 others like this.

2. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Would it be a good idea to link the Noob's guide to EmuNand updating thread here as well? :)

3. Cyan
    OP

France
    ah yes, I forgot about the Guide section.

I'll add some of them, but users could just check the Faqs and Guide sections too.

pedrobarca likes this.
  4. IreneGR

Newcomer IreneGR Member

Greece
    ChengCheng likes this.
  5. Cyan
    OP

France
    Update the DStwo first, or else DSTwo won't work on 7.0.0 anymore (and therefore can't update it).

You can always use another 3DS, or a DS/DSi to update your DStwo.

ChengCheng and pedrobarca like this.
  6. IreneGR

Newcomer IreneGR Member

Greece
    Ok I am updating the DSTWO. It finished.. Now I will update the 3DS right

7. Jasin

Newcomer Jasin Member

United States
    Ok, this is perfect because I have a stupid question to ask. I recently bought a 3DS XL but it came with 5.0. I do not update it. In one of the other theads they say
    Does this mean I can do the emunad update to 6.3/7 to play normal 3DS games (physical cartridges not roms) /access store without needing gateway since I can't use it? It would be nice to buy and play the new Zelda without fully updating incase they support gateway in the future. I really just like being able to take all games with me in 1 SD card.

8. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States

To even begin doing what you were talking about you need a 3DS that is on firmware 4.5. With a 3DS that is higher than that using emuNAND is not possible.

9. fatcat1413

Member fatcat1413 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think what he meant is using a r4i card like this one: http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/23-wood-r4i-gold-3ds.html but you can only play regular Ds games with it since you'll still need 4.5 fw to do anything else with your 3ds.

10. Jasin

Newcomer Jasin Member

United States
    Thanks, Just checking, I have a DSTWO to play my DS games. Was just seeing if I could update to latest to use store/new cards while still having a way to flash back to 5. As I'm still hoping something comes out for 5.

11. inuyasha555

Member inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You can always flash back as long as you have a copy of your NAND from 5.0. Dumping the NAND however would require soldering wires to the motherboard.

12. justinkb

Member justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I'll just ask this here: are DSTWO updates backwards compatible generally? Would the 7.x compatible DSTWO software work for sure when using it with a 4.5 3DS? Has anyone even tried this? I'd assume yes, but don't want the hassle of downgrading it, should it fail.

13. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Yes, it will work.

justinkb likes this.
  14. deoFusion

Newcomer deoFusion Member

Australia
    Is there a definite answer as to whether or not there is a difference in gateway compatibility between using a 4.4 vs 4.5 sysNAND?

kasek likes this.
  15. Loaded

Newcomer Loaded Member

United States
  16. toge

Newcomer toge Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry if this has been answered before, can I use a Zelda ROM, not the retail cart, to update my emunand to v6.x.x.x?

17. pedreters2

Newcomer pedreters2 Advanced Member

Spain
    About it, when it says "Retail", I guess it refers to retail games with a >4.5v required, isn't it? If I have the exploit and want to play a <4.5 game, even without the emunand I should be able to play it... Right?

Btw, how the game patches work? Does de 3DS download them as the firmware updates? I want the game patches but not the updates, and I don't want to be bothered by the update every day. Is this how it works?

18. kyogre123

Member kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Mexico
    You can only download patches for games from the eShop, so now you are unable to do this until Gateway fixes the emuNAND for 7.0.

Also, thanks to this update, you will be forced to create a NNID account, so you won't have access to eShops of different countries anymore (you will be stuck to the Spanish eShop).

pedreters2 likes this.
  19. pedreters2

Spain
    Not sure which one is my eShop though, lol. My 3ds is NA, and hasn't been in Spain yet. But it will ^^. It doesn't know what "internet" is, either, lol. Just want to be on the safe side until I gather all the info I need.

Is there any solution to the "being bothered by the update" yet? I would give up the internet access capability in favor of that any day.

20. pedreters2

Spain
    IIRC, it's possible but not recommended. But wait for others to help you before trying it.