Which MicroSD for the GateWay 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by LimeWan, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I expect my GateWay to come in within the next few days, and am going to get a microSD card for it in the mean time.

After reading, some users have been reporting issues with their GateWay due to slow cards, and a guide on 3ds-flashcard.com said that the 16gb Class 10 Kingston card is not compatible.

Now, about these people that are using these 'slow' cards. Are they referring to cards that are less than class 4? It seems that the 8gb Kingston Class 4 card is the most popular choice.

That being said, which microSD cards are 'not compatible' with the GateWay. I would assume all micro SDHC cards would work, but the statement on 3ds-flashcard.com makes me hold back on that assumption. Second, would there be such a thing as too high of a class? Could I have a class 10 card work okay with it?

Lastly, which card would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

I'd suggest a Transcend. Those work really well for me, and I'd suggest looking at a place like Amazon. :)

3. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    Ideally I would like to pick it up in store.

There is a 16gb class 10 SanDisk on sale for $20, but I am not sure if it would be compatible with the GateWay. Heard anything about it?

4. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

I used that one in all my tests. It does its job very well. I'm almost exclusively transcend media now.

5. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    Were you referring to the SanDisk or the Transcend?

6. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

I was referring to the Transcend. Use those, they're great memory cards.

7. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I don't think that I have any Transcend's nearby (Staples, Future Shop, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, The Source).

What size and class is the Transcend that you are referring to?

8. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

16GB, class 10.

9. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    Brand shouldn't have anything to do with compatibility, right?

Transcend is your personal recommendation, but if I can't manage to get that, then even a SanDisk should suffice, correct?

10. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Sandisks are fine, but the only one I have had issues with in past are Kingstons. I don't know why Kingston has some issues lol, but they just are bad eggs sometimes. Some have reported the issues with Kingston as well. I'm pretty sure a well placed search could help out in this case.

11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I would avoid Kingstons for gateway. I got 4 of them, 3 don't work on gateway (work everywhere else), 1 does. All are legit (verify on Kingston's site).

12. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I've been using SanDisk ever since, especially since they are so easy to find, so I am quite confident in their reliability. I have been using a 16gb class 6 SanDisk in my phone for just over a year and it still works great. Hasn't gone corrupt, still has kept its speed, etc.

I think I will pick up that one on sale for $20, unless I can find a cheaper one that will get the job done.

Are class 6's fast enough? How about class 4?

Thanks!

13. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Class 4 was bearable back then in the days of the DS, but class 6 seems to be more reliable in my opinion. And the price difference is almost negligible. :)

14. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I think I know not to go with Kingston now. I find it odd how ModChipCentral suggests it alongside the GateWay, and how that thread from 3ds-flashcard.com said that they worked really well.

15. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Pssst, you don't buy the micro SD cards that come with the manufacturers. They're often terrible quality, and break quickly. Don't do it.

16. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I'll take a look at the cards nearby and will consider the class 6 as well.

Thanks again!

Ryukouki likes this.
  17. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

No worries, good luck in your endeavors.

LimeWan likes this.
  18. LimeWan
    OP

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    I never do. They never give any information about the card, so I never know what I am paying for. Why would I pay a distributor more money to give me a card that they want to push to make money, when I can take that money and buy it myself.

I always research products before I buy, and would never blindly trust a distributor to buy things for me. This is why I made a thread :P

Thank you!

Ryukouki likes this.
  19. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Oh, I'm just saying, that's all. People do sometimes buy the stuff that flashcart sellers provide, and they always end up with horrid results down the line. :P

20. elunesgrace

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada