Hacking Which MicroSD for the GateWay 3DS?

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I expect my GateWay to come in within the next few days, and am going to get a microSD card for it in the mean time.

After reading, some users have been reporting issues with their GateWay due to slow cards, and a guide on 3ds-flashcard.com said that the 16gb Class 10 Kingston card is not compatible.

Now, about these people that are using these 'slow' cards. Are they referring to cards that are less than class 4? It seems that the 8gb Kingston Class 4 card is the most popular choice.

That being said, which microSD cards are 'not compatible' with the GateWay. I would assume all micro SDHC cards would work, but the statement on 3ds-flashcard.com makes me hold back on that assumption. Second, would there be such a thing as too high of a class? Could I have a class 10 card work okay with it?

Lastly, which card would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect my GateWay to come in within the next few days, and am going to get a microSD card for it in the mean time.

After reading, some users have been reporting issues with their GateWay due to slow cards, and a guide on 3ds-flashcard.com said that the 16gb Class 10 Kingston card is not compatible.

Now, about these people that are using these 'slow' cards. Are they referring to cards that are less than class 4? It seems that the 8gb Kingston Class 4 card is the most popular choice.

That being said, which microSD cards are 'not compatible' with the GateWay. I would assume all micro SDHC cards would work, but the statement on 3ds-flashcard.com makes me hold back on that assumption. Second, would there be such a thing as too high of a class? Could I have a class 10 card work okay with it?

Lastly, which card would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

I'd suggest a Transcend. Those work really well for me, and I'd suggest looking at a place like Amazon. :)

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd suggest a Transcend. Those work really well for me, and I'd suggest looking at a place like Amazon. :)
Ideally I would like to pick it up in store.

There is a 16gb class 10 SanDisk on sale for $20, but I am not sure if it would be compatible with the GateWay. Heard anything about it?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally I would like to pick it up in store.

There is a 16gb class 10 SanDisk on sale for $20, but I am not sure if it would be compatible with the GateWay. Heard anything about it?

I used that one in all my tests. It does its job very well. I'm almost exclusively transcend media now.

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was referring to the Transcend. Use those, they're great memory cards.
I don't think that I have any Transcend's nearby (Staples, Future Shop, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, The Source).

What size and class is the Transcend that you are referring to?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brand shouldn't have anything to do with compatibility, right?

Transcend is your personal recommendation, but if I can't manage to get that, then even a SanDisk should suffice, correct?

Sandisks are fine, but the only one I have had issues with in past are Kingstons. I don't know why Kingston has some issues lol, but they just are bad eggs sometimes. Some have reported the issues with Kingston as well. I'm pretty sure a well placed search could help out in this case.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would avoid Kingstons for gateway. I got 4 of them, 3 don't work on gateway (work everywhere else), 1 does. All are legit (verify on Kingston's site).

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sandisks are fine, but the only one I have had issues with in past are Kingstons. I don't know why Kingston has some issues lol, but they just are bad eggs sometimes. Some have reported the issues with Kingston as well. I'm pretty sure a well placed search could help out in this case.
I've been using SanDisk ever since, especially since they are so easy to find, so I am quite confident in their reliability. I have been using a 16gb class 6 SanDisk in my phone for just over a year and it still works great. Hasn't gone corrupt, still has kept its speed, etc.

I think I will pick up that one on sale for $20, unless I can find a cheaper one that will get the job done.

Are class 6's fast enough? How about class 4?

Thanks!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using SanDisk ever since, especially since they are so easy to find, so I am quite confident in their reliability. I have been using a 16gb class 6 SanDisk in my phone for just over a year and it still works great. Hasn't gone corrupt, still has kept its speed, etc.

I think I will pick up that one on sale for $20, unless I can find a cheaper one that will get the job done.

Are class 6's fast enough? How about class 4?

Thanks!

Class 4 was bearable back then in the days of the DS, but class 6 seems to be more reliable in my opinion. And the price difference is almost negligible. :)

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would avoid Kingstons for gateway. I got 4 of them, 3 don't work on gateway (work everywhere else), 1 does. All are legit (verify on Kingston's site).
I think I know not to go with Kingston now. I find it odd how ModChipCentral suggests it alongside the GateWay, and how that thread from 3ds-flashcard.com said that they worked really well.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know not to go with Kingston now. I find it odd how ModChipCentral suggests it alongside the GateWay, and how that thread from 3ds-flashcard.com said that they worked really well.

Pssst, you don't buy the micro SD cards that come with the manufacturers. They're often terrible quality, and break quickly. Don't do it.

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Class 4 was bearable back then in the days of the DS, but class 6 seems to be more reliable in my opinion. And the price difference is almost negligible. :)
I'll take a look at the cards nearby and will consider the class 6 as well.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Ryukouki

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pssst, you don't buy the micro SD cards that come with the manufacturers. They're often terrible quality, and break quickly. Don't do it.
I never do. They never give any information about the card, so I never know what I am paying for. Why would I pay a distributor more money to give me a card that they want to push to make money, when I can take that money and buy it myself.

I always research products before I buy, and would never blindly trust a distributor to buy things for me. This is why I made a thread :P

Thank you!

Reactions: Ryukouki

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never do. They never give any information about the card, so I never know what I am paying for. Why would I pay a distributor more money to give me a card that they want to push to make money, when I can take that money and buy it myself.

I always research products before I buy, and would never blindly trust a distributor to buy things for me. This is why I made a thread :P

Thank you!

Oh, I'm just saying, that's all. People do sometimes buy the stuff that flashcart sellers provide, and they always end up with horrid results down the line. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +1