Hacking Which MicroSD for the GateWay 3DS?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
does class 2 work?
if so, why would you want to waste money on a higher class?
A class 2, probably not.

Slow read speeds have been used as a way to detect flashcarts, that is why you want the high class rating. Example of this is the AP in some DS roms, a too slow speed and it causes the game to blank out giving you a solid color screen. The minimum class speeds for those games are a class 4 or higher on a flashcart that can handle that type of AP. With a 3DS, you will have to get something well higher than a class 4.

This is what is called a buffer underflow, the system is not reading data from the cart fast enough. AP can be set up to just halt the system if this ever happens.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ideally I would like to pick it up in store.

There is a 16gb class 10 SanDisk on sale for $20, but I am not sure if it would be compatible with the GateWay. Heard anything about it?

woah, I don't know where your buying from but thats way to expenisve, I got my 16gb for about 5 bucks, since you live in canada, find a store called xscargo

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I just found 5€ kingston 16GB class 10 over ebay. I still don't have my gateway but I bought 10 of them. I'm hoping i'll recive them soon and they are not fake cards (I'll always have paypal dispute as a solution if they are fake). I hear over here that kingston might be buggy... The user who faced that realy have a buggy kingston card or he has a deffective gateway card (or a fake SD card)?

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just found 5€ kingston 16GB class 10 over ebay. I still don't have my gateway but I bought 10 of them. I'm hoping i'll recive them soon and they are not fake cards (I'll always have paypal dispute as a solution if they are fake). I hear over here that kingston might be buggy... The user who faced that realy have a buggy kingston card or he has a deffective gateway card (or a fake SD card)?

kingston is fine for me, and depending on wear you order, they sometimes mess up and give a micro sd card by mistake :)

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
avoid it.
official - genuine kingston has 100% compatibility with gateway and all others flashcards.
buy a fake cheap one and you are screwed....

Mangekyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I tried with several different microSD cards and no luck...

2- 4gb class 2 SanDisk - Didn't work
1- 4gb class 4 Kingston - Didn't work
1- 16gb class 10 SanDisk - Didn't work

When I try the GW-testrom it stays in blue light. That means no valid SD data. I tried with different roms or even just a microSD in FAT32 and still only blue light.

Any ideas?

LimeWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried with several different microSD cards and no luck...

2- 4gb class 2 SanDisk - Didn't work
1- 4gb class 4 Kingston - Didn't work
1- 16gb class 10 SanDisk - Didn't work

When I try the GW-testrom it stays in blue light. That means no valid SD data. I tried with different roms or even just a microSD in FAT32 and still only blue light.

Any ideas?
I am not sure if this matters for testrom, but when you play 3DS roms on the red card, you must format the entire card to the .3DS file. You cannot drag and drop the .3DS file to a FAT32 formatted microSD card.

On windows, you must use that imaging tool (forgot name) or find a method to write the .3DS file to the entire card, or you can use terminal commands if on mac (or other tools. I am on OS X SL so I must use terminal commands).

Someone correct me if I am wrong. This is what I think.

Please confirm if you have used a card formatted to the .3DS file, or FAT32.

Mangekyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I am not sure if this matters for testrom, but when you play 3DS roms on the red card, you must format the entire card to the .3DS file. You cannot drag and drop the .3DS file to a FAT32 formatted microSD card.

On windows, you must use that imaging tool (forgot name) or find a method to write the .3DS file to the entire card, or you can use terminal commands if on mac (or other tools. I am on OS X SL so I must use terminal commands).

Someone correct me if I am wrong. This is what I think.

Please confirm if you have used a card formatted to the .3DS file, or FAT32.

I mount the testrom image with win32 Disk Imager. I only tried to use FAT32 to see if it made any difference.
I am pretty aware that this is not a drag and drop card. Ive been reading all about the gateway for the last months now, and Im pretty sure Im doing everything as supposed to. I still get a blue light on the diagnostic of gw.

GalatasarayEken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so should I get this?
10197708.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users