Poliwrath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suppose this is similar to ROM Hacking, so I thought it'd be best to ask for help here.

When starting LOZ: Spirit Tracks, you have to name your file. I was in a rush, and named the file "Limk" instead of "Link" and I left it as that because I didn't think I'd really play the game much. However, now it's really starting to bug me
tongue.gif

Do you think I'd be able to edit the save file to change the filename from Limk to Link?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
There isn't any save editor I know of, but assuming the save data isn't encrypted or compressed (not the smartest assumption, but you'll find out soon enough) its shouldn't be too hard to correct it.

What I've done for older games is fairly simple, but may not work;
1) Create a new save with the name Link then saving straight away.
2) Create a new save with the name Limk then saving straight away.
3) Create a new save with the name LLLLLLL then saving straight away.

Now open up all three saves in a hex editor that allows you to compare files. Hopefully the name will be in the same location for each save, and most of the other data will be the same as they are all new games. Using the three files you have it should be possible to find the name data, and from there changing Limk to Link hopefully won't be too hard.

JPeterson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this applies to phantom hourglass but might work in principle in spirit tracks if you find the correct address if the JEZA signature is left intact i have not looked at the spirit tracks save file

you can graft the 0x80*2 bytes profile sections from another save where you have the name you want

just be sure to graft from the same slot you want to change. if you graft 0x100 bytes from slot one to slot two the entire save load routine will nearly crash and just say creating new file

if you use the right slot it will complain something is broken and will restore your save with the new name essentially rewriting the check sum with the new profile name. voila!

a diff now reveal that it fixed something at 0007e900 which is before the graft but i have not investigated further if this is the sum for the profile block

----

a new slot one profile has the battle name at 3ec40 with lots of blank around it and then a second one at 3f140 that are conveniently aligned in a full 16 byte block

changing it will reveal a 2 byte sum in the 3ecf0 and 3f1f0 blocks

later near the signature JEZA 4a455a41 are the smaller profile blocks also check summed

this sum can not be changed in game and i have not cracked it so i have to live with my in game name kuk or graft it from another save

fifa might be a reference for cracking the sum

https://github.com/CTurt/DARA/blob/master/CRCFix/source/main.c#L113-L122

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-checksums.475572/

if you need to change slot two change 0x3f424 to 0x7e924 in BOTH locations otherwise it will fail

```
strings -tx -n1 z.0
xxd -p zelda.dsv>zelda.hex
xxd -p -r zelda.hex>zelda.dsv
diff <(xxd zelda.0) <(xxd zelda.dsv)

dd if=z.1 bs=1 skip=$((0x3f424)) count=$((0x100)) of=graft.bin
cp z.0 z.2
dd if=graft.bin of=z.2 bs=1 seek=$((0x3f424)) conv=notrunc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users