Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
yeah I guess it's canadian French. With terms like "catché" and "tantôt"... But what surprise me is that all the other French US versions before were ... well "normal"

No it's not french canadian, I am a "quebecoise" and I can tell you that no one say "je te pompe" that is a French expression that sound "French from France"...

I always play the english versions, since I fear the game is somewhat changed by translation.

I've searched some of the words that I didn't get (achaler, ravauder, etc) and they're all quebecois.

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
How can you even bother playing in an other language even if it's your native?! I can't play games in other languages than English.

Because when you know English you may be too lazy to learn another language, because that's the universal language, and nearly every games get an English translation... That wasn't the case for French, that is spoken only in a few countries.

xenon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
"since I fear the game is somewhat changed by translation"

Jap to Eng already changed it
smile.gif
That's why you don't want another translation layer on top of that. If you don't understand the original language of a movie/book/game, English is always the best choice.

mugenk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i take a look over some 'weird' words for french from France. and since it's canadian french

anyway, in sounds better in english for now!!!!

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although I didn't try the French translation (which I could perfectly understand), I must add that the Spanish translation is equally horrible. As someone said, it looks like the threw the game through Babelfish and got a literal translation, phrase by phrase, word by word.

It's not that it matters much to me, the game was worse than the translation, IMO... but I wonder why they had to add such a crappy "translation" to the USA release =/

spiderben25

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I remember playing my NA french copy of Link's Awakening on my old GBA and it was really "French from France"
I remember a girl telling Link "Tu est encore patraque"...and not knowing what "patraque" meant even if French is my native language.

kenet.deluxe: I know the game was originally japanese but one more translation means more lost of meaning

It's strange that you don't know what "patraque" means... It means "pas très bien, malade".
However I don't understand some of the expressions of Phantom Hourglass, like "ravauder" or "achaler".

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I went to this topic from the Latest Posts on the front page, so I didn't see the "IS LAME!" part
rofl2.gif

Well, I'm not french so this doesn't bother me at all. I find it funny though.
laugh.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, it's really hard to translate a game, not only because of the space limitations, i.e. "you can only use X amount of characters for every phrase", but also 'cause it happens often that the translation teams don't have the game they are translating...hence the inconsistency at some points...
On the ghost ship, there are some pullers and there's also a headstone that gives you the solution to that puzzle...well, if you're using the Spanish translation the headstone gives you an incorrect solution..and that is, people, a rushed translation.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
The real version is the japanese one ( colored words are tagged for children with vocabulary ).

The "french" translation, is not french and not even canadian but pure babel crap with non sense it is not funny at all for me. I won't recommand buying this game for kids.

In fact Nintendo hire expensive TV advertisements but they better pay for real translators services : it is very disappointing ;-(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1