Yuji Naka admits to insider trading in first day on trial

WCCFyujinaka.jpg

It's been a rough few years for Sonic the Hedgehog creator Yuji Naka, and his arrest late last year was certainly no exception. It revolved around accusations of him trading Square Enix stock (where he was employed at the time) before they announced their collaborations with Aiming Inc. (Dragon Quest Tact) and ATeam (Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier) so that he could reap the rewards of high share prices. Today, Yuji Naka attended his first day in court in Japan's Tokyo District Court.

During the trial, he pleaded guilty to violating the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act, saying, "I was appointed as a senior manager because of my achievements in developing world-famous games as a game programmer at another major game maker. I accessed a website that posted about 'Dragon Quest' and found out about the joint development of new works in the 'Final Fantasy series', so I bought a total of 130,000 shares and earned a gain of over 20 million yen on sale."

:arrow: Sources: NHK / TBS DIG

Velorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was clearly a strategic move and it seems like he may have made a deal with them. I'm curious if he sold out top execs at Square Enix in exchange for a plea deal.

Reactions: Defective1Up

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
reminder that the dude is Actually Insane™ and i would also like to remind everyone that sometimes people aren't always doing some 5d chess mindgame nonsense.

sometimes they're just crazy.

Attachments

• 1fn8byx99s991.jpg
    1fn8byx99s991.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 38
  • rrytuyx99s991.jpg
    rrytuyx99s991.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by halfashark,
Reactions: osaka35

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was clearly a strategic move and it seems like he may have made a deal with them. I'm curious if he sold out top execs at Square Enix in exchange for a plea deal.
if top execs are also guilty (like all of them)will SE go bust despite being a video game powerhouse? I'd be watching this very closely

Reactions: Defective1Up

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Gotta go fast, bro!
To be honest, he might be doing illegal stuff, but who knows why he did it...
Post automatically merged:

reminder that the dude is Actually Insane™ and i would also like to remind everyone that sometimes people aren't always doing some 5d chess mindgame nonsense.

sometimes they're just crazy.
Those "crazy" come up with great games. So we need a bit of a crazy i guess haha.

Reactions: Dud and SylverReZ

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Those "crazy" come up with great games. So we need a bit of a crazy i guess haha.
The great games is honestly debatable, even more today.

For God's sake he made fking Balan Wonderworld. People shouldn't give credits to this guy, or Keiji Inafune for the same reasons. Not until they complete their redemption arc and finally make a great game that will make people forget their missteps

Reactions: Kitocco

Spectremint

OP
Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
The great games is honestly debatable, even more today.

For God's sake he made fking Balan Wonderworld. People shouldn't give credits to this guy, or Keiji Inafune for the same reasons. Not until they complete their redemption arc and finally make a great game that will make people forget their missteps
Didn't they oust him out of the project half way through though?

Reactions: SylverReZ

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
He could have contacted a trusted friend on Telegram or Signal and said "Invest in Square-Enix shares. We'll split the profits 50-50." I'm sure there are plenty of people who do this and haven't been caught.

• Wow
Reactions: Megadriver94

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He could have contacted a trusted friend on Telegram or Signal and said "Invest in Square-Enix shares. We'll split the profits 50-50." I'm sure there are plenty of people who do this and haven't been caught.
Do you really think no one would notice the bank transfers from his pal to him??

• Wow
Reactions: Megadriver94

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time