YouTube no longer working in-browser on 3.0.0?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dj505, Jun 28, 2017.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    I can't get any video to play whatsoever, just a "This feature is not available." message when hitting play. Does it work for anyone else?

2. JustMeDaFaq

JustMeDaFaq Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Germany
    Yep, doesnt work anymore. I dont know of any way to get around it - theres no known solution yet. Sorry.

3. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Welp, good to know it's not just something with my connection or whatever. Looks like Nintendo is putting some restrictions in place on the web browser to stop people from using it like this.

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    From what I have found, video playback still works on 3.0.0 if you use the web applet for linking FB/Twitter rather than the one for portals (yes, the applets are different).

The problem so far is that it is limited to playing some YouTube videos linked on Facebook pages or Twitter accounts as the browser locks down browsing outside certain webpages.

I have tried using my older method of Twitter>nintendo.com/corp>Google (redirects to YouTube via Fiddler/Charles) method and it now fails with a page cannot be displayed error. I will see what I can do to get it to work but no promises.

5. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Using the SwitchBru DNS I was able to get to any site (GBATemp and Reddit included), however the only thing I couldn't get working is video playback for some reason. Everything else seems to work fine.

6. JustMeDaFaq

JustMeDaFaq Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Germany
    Tested it with facebook. And yeah, seems they somehow registrating the redirect.
    Since...

EXACT:http://www.google.de:443
    *redir:http://www.google.de:443

doesnt work either. Even tho the page is accessible when you search for google on facebook and klick the link. (any search on it will result in "cannot be displayed"

7. MisterSheep

MisterSheep Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2017
    United States
    My friend discovered it still works. Just change Facebook's language to Spanish. No I'm not even kidding.

8. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    your kidding.. right?

9. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    I thought you couldn't browse the web on the Switch?
    If every website on 3.0.0 works, how does that work, is it easy?

If everything works, I don't have to take my phone to browse the web.

EDIT: Nvm, seems to use a Windows program according to one of the stickies. Has no use for me when I'm not home lol.

Last edited by thekarter104, Jun 30, 2017
  10. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Try here: http://switchbru.com/dns You only have to set your DNS server. There's no PC needed, but it won't play youtube videos.

I haven't updated to 3.0 yet, but I thought the previous youtube video blocking was a user-agent issue. Do other HTML5 videos play in the browser?

11. DocDevVR

DocDevVR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2017
    France
    Your thoughs on this ->
    Video&audio playback !

Me too, i haven't updated to 3.0. I am in 2.0.0 right now.
    You use the WifiAuth applet ?
    I try to find a proxswitch-like or fiddler-like on Android. If someone have an Idea it would be great :P

Last edited by DocDevVR, Jul 1, 2017
  12. JustMeDaFaq

JustMeDaFaq Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Germany
    It is probably real. Works fine if you're under 3.0.

13. shadowghul

shadowghul Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2017
    Germany
    I figured out that you can watch Movies from your google play accoint on the Switch. without proxy or anything.
    Works fine in Handheld Dock and Tv Mode

14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    when you connect to a public wifi with your phone, your phone usually opens the browser in the "login" page,
    public wifis requires you to either accept the terms and conditions (like pressing a button) or use an account to use their wifi..

Nintendo left a browser in the switch in order to users access these public wifi that require you to to click something on the page.
    the switch browser exists for this reason alone and that's why you can't normally open it like an app

users of course found out this, and it's just a matter of configuring the wifi router to instead presenting a custom page for login, just presenting google or any webpage..

you can use your phone, your home wifi etc.. just need to change some settings in your access point

Last edited by migles, Jul 5, 2017
  15. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Facebook videos are allowed to be watched. If you're so inclined, you could download a video and upload it to facebook and watch it from there...yes, it is not efficient and does not have 'ease of access', but it works.

Just be careful of copyright...seriously. Someone was arrested for 3 years recently.

EDIT: Briefly did a google search and it seems you can embed videos into a post. That could work!