Gaming YouTube app now in the eShop

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
i like it. the quality is very good screen wise. I really like it.
It took me half an hour to log on the "correct" account but i really like it.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, besides the playback quality, there is one huge problem with the YouTube App.

It seems to arbitrarily try to govern and believe what it wants to about how much battery my 3DS actually has. In my attempts to test it, it then thinks the battery is going to die and then immediately shuts down the whole system... after not even 20 minutes of playback. Yet when I do turn it on again to verify, I find that the battery is not even close to being that drained.

Needless to say, this is a pretty serious usability issue. Problem is that neither Nintendo nor google really give a way to provide this kind of feedback so that they would even try to fix it. It took months for them to finally address that stupid overlay problem on the Android app.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Easier fix for login problems: after signing in, at the "Use YouTube as" screen, tap the top-left icon, then close that menu. Select your YT name (just tap it, nothing will indicate it's selected but it's selected) and tap the small black bar.

bradzx

x-Darkie-x
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About time they made one. Internet won't work on youtube, but I am happy that put Eshop to download app. And I am download right now.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3D video was literally the only point of Youtube on the 3DS at a time where everyone and his dog has a handheld computer capable of high-resolution video as his phone. Way to mess it up.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echoing what people have already said, with the exception of those that have no other devices for it, the only draw to this app would be support for 3D videos, and it can't even do that. That might come in an update, but that might be a long time coming. Mind you, 3D hasn't caught on a great deal; I can't think of a notable smartphone capable of 3D viewing since the HTC Evo 3D two years ago.

The interface is the same as what you'd have on a mobile phone browser...
I had a HTC Evo 3D. The problem was 3DS was indeed a gimmick, but it was a test gimmick, being one of the few 3D phones in a sea of better or cheaper phones, and Android's cursed phone cycle of every phone is outdated in 4-6 months.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem was 3DS was indeed a gimmick

:unsure:

I hear you about the update cycle though; the fault of phone manufacturers delaying updates, and even more so when it comes to your American carriers. With Nexus devices and Google Play editions (and now components of Android becoming modular and available on the Play Store) it's becoming less of an issue.

DarkKnigh_t

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
okay tested the app and im pretty disappointed the quality is pretty bad. todays phones and even my 3 year old galaxy s is better than that. i know the 3ds is not as powerful but still this could have been better :/

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People begged for Youtube on the DS, the DS couldn't meet up with the specifications for it, people asked it for the 3DS thinking since its a way more powerful console than the Wii, it would run nice, now they see it wouldn't, still complain.

I don't get you people, do you really need Youtube on the 3DS or DS? I mean come on everyone has got a smartphone with WiFi these days which can be used to access Youtube way better than a portable console.

Reactions: avran89

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The mere fact that this wasn't already included is just too crazy for words IMHO. 3DS has been out for what, 2 years already? And this wasn't included or at least not officially supported?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mere fact that this wasn't already included is just too crazy for words IMHO. 3DS has been out for what, 2 years already? And this wasn't included or at least not officially supported?
That would have much to do with the fact that youtube on the website had a royal hard-on for flash, and flash on anything other than a desktop computer is legendarily awful.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm watch 720/1080p on my phone or 144p(or is it lower than 144p? Because some pixel looks big as fuck). Though I could save some battery on my phone by using the 3DS for youtube, seems like that was just wishfull thinking.

Zalda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That would have much to do with the fact that youtube on the website had a royal hard-on for flash, and flash on anything other than a desktop computer is legendarily awful.
PSP had this in homebrew format pretty soon, not to mention the PSP browser wasn't too bad either

avran89

ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds is NOT a smartphone, it's not intended to be designed to run Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, or other internet sites. It's meant to run video games and video games only. Idk why the whiners expect this to work like a modern day smartphone? You whined you wanted a Youtube app, here it is for free. It's like complaining about a free burger you got at McDonald's. It may have 3D in future updates, it may have new features later. Some would say this is "constructive criticism", but that phrase is an oxymoron.

Reactions: signz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/7bH4YgV.mp4