YouTube app now in the eShop

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by skystealer, Nov 29, 2013.

1. joepassive

joepassive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    Israel
    i like it. the quality is very good screen wise. I really like it.
    It took me half an hour to log on the "correct" account but i really like it.

2. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Well, besides the playback quality, there is one huge problem with the YouTube App.

It seems to arbitrarily try to govern and believe what it wants to about how much battery my 3DS actually has. In my attempts to test it, it then thinks the battery is going to die and then immediately shuts down the whole system... after not even 20 minutes of playback. Yet when I do turn it on again to verify, I find that the battery is not even close to being that drained.

Needless to say, this is a pretty serious usability issue. Problem is that neither Nintendo nor google really give a way to provide this kind of feedback so that they would even try to fix it. It took months for them to finally address that stupid overlay problem on the Android app.

3. DarkKnigh_t

DarkKnigh_t GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2013
    Croatia
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Im not expecting much from that youtube app but still its a nice edition to the 3ds better more stuff then less. Ill download it and see what it looks like :)

4. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    Easier fix for login problems: after signing in, at the "Use YouTube as" screen, tap the top-left icon, then close that menu. Select your YT name (just tap it, nothing will indicate it's selected but it's selected) and tap the small black bar.

5. bradzx

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    About time they made one. Internet won't work on youtube, but I am happy that put Eshop to download app. And I am download right now.

6. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Just got it for my North American 3DS, works perfectly. I tried the MEOW video by cyriak and it works perfectly.

7. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland

Wanted a GOOD youtube app that can play 3D video.

Get a SHIT youtube app that CANT play 3D video.

"HURR you have no right to complain."

Ammako and codezer0 like this.
  8. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Germany
    3D video was literally the only point of Youtube on the 3DS at a time where everyone and his dog has a handheld computer capable of high-resolution video as his phone. Way to mess it up.

9. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    I had a HTC Evo 3D. The problem was 3DS was indeed a gimmick, but it was a test gimmick, being one of the few 3D phones in a sea of better or cheaper phones, and Android's cursed phone cycle of every phone is outdated in 4-6 months.

10. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gallifrey
    :unsure:

I hear you about the update cycle though; the fault of phone manufacturers delaying updates, and even more so when it comes to your American carriers. With Nexus devices and Google Play editions (and now components of Android becoming modular and available on the Play Store) it's becoming less of an issue.

11. DarkKnigh_t

DarkKnigh_t GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2013
    Croatia
    Zagreb, Croatia
    okay tested the app and im pretty disappointed the quality is pretty bad. todays phones and even my 3 year old galaxy s is better than that. i know the 3ds is not as powerful but still this could have been better :/

12. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

GBAtemp Patron
    Yepi69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    People begged for Youtube on the DS, the DS couldn't meet up with the specifications for it, people asked it for the 3DS thinking since its a way more powerful console than the Wii, it would run nice, now they see it wouldn't, still complain.

I don't get you people, do you really need Youtube on the 3DS or DS? I mean come on everyone has got a smartphone with WiFi these days which can be used to access Youtube way better than a portable console.

avran89 likes this.
  13. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    The mere fact that this wasn't already included is just too crazy for words IMHO. 3DS has been out for what, 2 years already? And this wasn't included or at least not officially supported?

14. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    That would have much to do with the fact that youtube on the website had a royal hard-on for flash, and flash on anything other than a desktop computer is legendarily awful.

15. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    Hmm watch 720/1080p on my phone or 144p(or is it lower than 144p? Because some pixel looks big as fuck). Though I could save some battery on my phone by using the 3DS for youtube, seems like that was just wishfull thinking.

16. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    well, it doesn't skip and audio isn't awful when headphones are used. as i don't have any tablet/smartphone etc, it gets the job done.

17. Zalda

Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2007
    PSP had this in homebrew format pretty soon, not to mention the PSP browser wasn't too bad either

18. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Ugghh, why the hell did they make this? The Wii app was bad enough...

19. avran89

avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

May 10, 2011
    United States
    Pokemon League
    The 3ds is NOT a smartphone, it's not intended to be designed to run Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, or other internet sites. It's meant to run video games and video games only. Idk why the whiners expect this to work like a modern day smartphone? You whined you wanted a Youtube app, here it is for free. It's like complaining about a free burger you got at McDonald's. It may have 3D in future updates, it may have new features later. Some would say this is "constructive criticism", but that phrase is an oxymoron.

SignZ likes this.
  20. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    if you wanted good youtube app, you should have gotten a Vita... guys the 3DS is for good games not apps.​

Dartz150 likes this.