Homebrew Are there any community servers for Flipnote Studio 3ds?

silver_locket

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First time posting a thread here, so my apologies if I get something wrong.

But the question I have is in the title. Are there really no good (i.e available to join) community run servers out there for the 3ds version of Flipnote Studio at the moment?

Kaeru Gallery is one, but they only support copies that were downloaded from the Eshop. Completely understandable back then, no one wants to get dmca'd by Nintendo. But it's been impossible to legitimately get a copy for almost a year now, and it was never even freely available on the Eshop anyways. You had to redeem My Nintendo points online, to get a code, to download it. (why they encrypted the download process is beyond me)

Sudomemo (only for the original ds version) doesn't support Flipnote Studio 3D, and they don't have any plans to add it in the near future to their service due to the backend being completely different between versions.

Is this a "if you want something done do it yourself" type of situation unfortunately?

PoorPocketsMcNewHold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Kaeru Gallery is one, but they only support copies that were downloaded from the Eshop. Completely understandable back then, no one wants to get dmca'd by Nintendo. But it's been impossible to legitimately get a copy for almost a year now, and it was never even freely available on the Eshop anyways. You had to redeem My Nintendo points online, to get a code, to download it. (why they encrypted the download process is beyond me)
As if Nintendo shut down their Flipnote Studio 3DS service. They would never do such thing to force people to go throught some wicked way to download it legitimately, if it wasn't already voluntary removed already to prevent 3DS users to still enjoy their console. It would be a shame if a legitimate user, would have to be forced to pirate this piece of media under deliberate abandonware from the Internet. I mean, it surely would prevent Kaeru or GbaTemp to be able to talk or link about ways to get it, to prevent themselves from Nintendo Lawyers, just in case they send a DMCA for no particular real reason outside of scaring legitimate legal homebrew development.

I hope i wasn't too cynical, but i think you got my suggestion and thought on the matter between those lines.

silver_locket

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, shame on me for suggesting Nintendo would ever needlessly force a user to sail the high seas to use their free services. :P

As a workaround for the meantime though, I found a (slightly scuffed) method of importing Flipnote Studio 3D projects into the DS version. That way you can upload them to whatever DS project you want.

To start, there's a website called "Flipnote player" that lets you convert the 3ds version's .KWZ files to mp4, but you could also probably just export them as .AVI from the app and work from there. (as a side note, it's made by a guy who made an animation suite very similar to Flipnote called "clipnote studio". he's posted a javascript library for decoding/converting flipnotes into filetypes viewable on things other than a 3ds, check it out if you want)

Then you have to grab the MP4 to Flipnote (.ppm) encoder made by RinLovesYou (can't post links yet but it's on gbatemp & github), then you should be good.
BUT!
You do need to grab your own Flipnote Studio private key with CFW for it to play on a physical ds/3ds though, unfortunately. For me it's not a problem, but if anyone out there wanted a stock solution there's none out there at the moment.

(I haven't actually tried this pipeline yet, I'll update later with results ):D

EDIT: I'm actually a big dummy. Sudomemo doesn't allow flipnotes from any source other than the original DS version. That was the entire reason I wanted to try this. Oh well, I guess. Read the TOS so you don't spend 4 hours troubleshooting like me. If anyone has a weird niche case that they'll actually use this for, good luck out there.

Last edited by silver_locket,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto