Gaming Your thoughts on odyssey

• Thread starter rwn
  • Start date
  • Views 15,356
  • Replies 189
  • Likes 7

On a scale from one (low) to ten (high) how good is this game?

Votes: 6 3.1%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 3 1.6%

Votes: 5 2.6%

Votes: 12 6.3%

Votes: 24 12.5%

Votes: 48 25.0%

Votes: 88 45.8%

• Total voters

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got all 880 regular moons (836 is only the number of listed missions, some of which actually give 3 moons) and stocked up to 999, got all the costumes and therefore the game has nothing more to offer. The game could get a 9 from me, but I'll make it an 8, since the game throws lots of (partially boring and repetitive) content at you after the story, but does not appropriately reward you for doing all of it. After getting the 500 moon rewards it's very Ubisoft-ish...

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i also hate sunshine mainly because of them annoying platforming 3d levels some are insanely hard and simply not fun to do. galaxy's are fun for the 1st few worlds than they just turn into not being fun anywhere. MOD is just non stop fun the whole game.
Fludd is much better than Cappy imo. Cappy is overused and needed for doing practically anything. Want to get to a far spot? Use Cappy. Want to get to a high spot for that moon? Use Cappy. At least Fludd was used for actual platforming and beating enemies.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So giving out 7, 8's these days are considered hate reviews ? Lmao. The most honest review would be projareds. What does even a 10 mean anymore with every fucking game getting a 10 or a 9 these days. A 6 or a 7 meant good in the old days and 9,10's were given in really really special cases but these days almost every fucking game is getting a 9 or a 10.
Just stop calling it even a 10 point system when reviewers only use 2 numbers constantly. Everything below 8 is considered a hate review these days ! I call it being honest and not biased as fuck. I'm saying it's more around an 8 and i''m getting constant shit everywhere from these toxic Nintendo fanboys on every single website or media platform. Community is so toxic these days and especially the Nintendo community
Even that's still a good score. I'd give a 6.5 or 7 and that's being a little generous. I list exactly why in my posts criticizing the game. If retards in the internet don't like it they can go to hell.

In a nutshell it's a lack of platforming, the little platforming is underwhelming, a lack of difficulty, barren poorly designed worlds that are only big for the sake of being "open world", the crappy overused gimmick known as Cappy that is essential for almost everything, and poorly thought out challenges to get the moons with a lot just sitting in inconvenient to reach places (high places, around corners, crevices, etc). There are only a handful of moons that you accomplish an actual task or goal for. Of course Nintendo is pandering to the idiots who eat up anything that's open world, and a lot of those games are saturated with really lackluster content in an attempt to make the games seem long and super well designed. An abundance of crap is still crap

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps its just me but nintendo promised a surprise ending and this game did not have it im at 702 moons hoping that once i collect them all there will be a true ending cause it was so fricken generic. I was promised a game changing reveal and this did not have it.

Gameplays fine its not amazing cause it sorta feels like a galaxy reskin at times with cappy as fludd from sunshine. The easter eggs are cool but i feel its very nostalgia heavy which is fine but i wanted progress in the story not regression or stagnation. I didnt care who married who or what i just wanted something new. This feels sorta like the pokemon games generic templated story mixed with updated graphics and 1 new mechanic. Guessing we will see super mario ultra-oddessy soon.

Reactions: peteruk

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I really like it. It hasn't gotten me hooked though. Just based on how much I'm enjoying the game, I'd give it maybe 7.5 or 8.
For comparison, BotW I would give a 9 or 9.5, it got me hooked from start to finish which is rare for me.

It is a really well made Mario game. I feel like there are too many power moons though. Collecting them hardly feels like an accomplishment anymore when you can get 5 of them in like 10 minutes and a lot of levels have like 60 of them or even more, and I feel less pressure to collect all of them as a result.
Apart from that, I can't really think of anything I would have changed. In most ways it's exactly what I want from a Mario game. A hub world would have been nice, but it's no big deal.

Odyssey is probably my favorite Mario game since Sunshine. Still torn on whether I like Sunshine or this better. I hated having to clean up paint in Sunshine but I loved the rest of it. It had some really interesting levels and each level had unique challenges. Odyssey has varied levels but the challenges within seem like they're less unique, a lot of moons basically only require you to repeat what you learned in previous levels.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: peteruk

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
this has turned out to be my favourite Mario game
So many kingdoms thus far have kept me sticking around far longer than I need to, even knowing I'll come back to them after I beat the game. I'll be damned if the first time you enter Metro Kingdom those aren't the best rain effects I've seen in just about any game. Music is tops. So much to praise. It's starting to barely edge out the others for me as well, especially in presentation. Galaxy comes closest, but the sheer variety in Odyssey makes it stand out.

But I agree with Kumikochan, those 10/10 reviews doesnt mean a fuck these days. Yes mario is great and fun, but not the superb game.
That's BS. Few games control so well or tightly. Few games have music as good as Mario. Few games have level design as good as Mario. Few games are as creative. 3D Mario games have always been superb. The only other 3D platformer we'd have if not for Mario is Sonic, Mario made the genre better. From the beginning really, even going back to NES/SNES.

Last edited by Xzi,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So many kingdoms thus far have kept me sticking around far longer than I need to, even knowing I'll come back to them after I beat the game. I'll be damned if the first time you enter Metro Kingdom those aren't the best rain effects I've seen in just about any game. Music is tops. So much to praise. It's starting to barely edge out the others for me as well, especially in presentation. Galaxy comes closest, but the sheer variety in Odyssey makes it stand out.

That's BS. Few games control so well or tightly. Few games have music as good as Mario. Few games have level design as good as Mario. Few games are as creative. 3D Mario games have always been superb. The only other 3D platformer we'd have if not for Mario is Sonic, Mario made the genre better. From the beginning really, even going back to NES/SNES.
Well everybody knows by now that you overly praise Nintendo for EVERYTHING, so no suprise here. The only 3d platformer is Mario besides Sonic ? A hat in time, crash bandicoot, most RARE games, jezus i can give you another 100. Just stop with the Nintendo **** sucking already because what you said just doesn't make sense and screams fanboyism. And not going to even touch on what you said that most games don't control so well as in a mario game ( load of bull)

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

silver_ryder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So giving out 7, 8's these days are considered hate reviews ? Lmao. The most honest review would be projareds. What does even a 10 mean anymore with every fucking game getting a 10 or a 9 these days. A 6 or a 7 meant good in the old days and 9,10's were given in really really special cases but these days almost every fucking game is getting a 9 or a 10.
Just stop calling it even a 10 point system when reviewers only use 2 numbers constantly. Everything below 8 is considered a hate review these days ! I call it being honest and not biased as fuck. I'm saying it's more around an 8 and i''m getting constant shit everywhere from these toxic Nintendo fanboys on every single website or media platform. Community is so toxic these days and especially the Nintendo community
Are you blind, i'm talking about reviews 1/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10 or even 6/10, that is toxic fanboys from other Brands, and definitely is hate reviews in most of the cases from some one that didn't play or doesn't want to play a Nintendo game...!

If you want to be enlightened go check out the 1/10 reviews of users from this post, or most relevant from metacritic for this one and for example BotW.

Toxic and hateful is your comments, and yes for me BotW and Mario Odyssey is 10/10, but a 9, 8 or even a 7 is acceptable in a point of view of an opinion of a normal gamer/user without prejudices..!

Toxic fanboys is in everywhere, Sony e Microsoft fanboys aren't different from Nintendo Fanboys, in my case i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but above that i'm a fanboy of great games and i recognize and play great games in every single platform, doesn't matter the brand...!

PS: Sometimes I forget the reason why I do not participate in this discussion or social networks, hatred is the engine and is seen in the point of view of extremes and in the language used...! the following answer demonstrates just how important it is to sow discord and conflict ...!

Last edited by silver_ryder,
Reactions: MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are you blind, i'm talking about reviews 1/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10 or even 6/10, that is toxic fanboys from other Brands, and definitely is hate reviews in most of the cases from some one that didn't play or doesn't want to play a Nintendo game...!

If you want to be enlightened go check out the 1/10 reviews of users from this post, or most relevant from metacritic for this one and for example BotW.

Toxic and hateful is your comments, and yes for me BotW and Mario Odyssey is 10/10, but a 9, 8 or even a 7 is acceptable in a point of view of an opinion of a normal gamer/user without prejudices..!

Toxic fanboys is in everywhere, Sony e Microsoft fanboys aren't different from Nintendo Fanboys, in my case i'm a Nintendo fanboy, but above that i'm a fanboy of great games and i recognize and play great games in every single platform, doesn't matter the brand...!
zelda botw 4/10 and mario odyssey 5.5/10

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

PS: Sometimes I forget the reason why I do not participate in this discussion or social networks, hatred is the engine and is seen in the point of view of extremes and in the language used...! the following answer demonstrates just how important it is to sow discord and conflict ...!
So me not agreeing with you is toxic and hateful ? Pls enlighten me where i'm hateful and toxic towards you ??? I'm giving it an 8. It's good but def not a 10 like games such as chrono trigger and such only get. Putting every Nintendo game like that on a pedastal on the same level als Chrono trigger etc is just not right and you thinking that is right proves what i'm saying.

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: silver_ryder

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So me not agreeing with you is toxic and hateful ? Pls enlighten me where i'm hateful and toxic towards you ??? I'm giving it an 8. It's good but def not a 10 like games such as chrono trigger and such only get. Putting every Nintendo game like that on a pedastal on the same level als Chrono trigger etc is just not right and you thinking that is right proves what i'm saying.
Not every Nintendo game is good, but yet I find Mario Odyssey a very fun game... I still think it is my favourite Mario game and I would give it a 9/10 probably, sure it is not Chrono Trigger levels of classic for me, but I think it is plenty more fun than e.g. Zelda BotW.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not every Nintendo game is good, but yet I find Mario Odyssey a very fun game... I still think it is my favourite Mario game and I would give it a 9/10 probably, sure it is not Chrono Trigger levels of classic for me, but I think it is plenty more fun than e.g. Zelda BotW.
i agree with you hence why i'm giving it an 8 but a 10 well that is more reserved for games such as chrono trigger, shenmue and other amazing games.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody managed to complete Darker Side yet ?

I am not quite at that point yet but have been watching some videos and it looks seriously hard, as hard as if not harder than Champions Road

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really good game. Not the best "Collectathon" 3D Mario but easily worth another playthrough (and soon) but it does have its issues..

The amount of leftover Moons you have to buy in the shop. Mario Sunshine suffered from this problem too.
Surely they could have shared a few of the
Moons around the other Kingdoms so it wasnt such a hassle to grind and buy them in the store. It really slowed an otherwise fast paced game imo..

The Ruin Kingdom.. what a waste of potential.. They could of easily made that Kingdom into the "Haunted/Boo themed Kingdom" maybe chuck in a cheeky King Boo boss fight in there.. ;)
I know there was the Dragon Boss but Im sure they could of made it work with both..
and thrown 10/20 of those serplus Moons into it?

But apart from those two gripes I was really happy with it. Worthy addition imo ;)

Reactions: jpxdude and peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: