Gaming Your thoughts on odyssey

• Thread starter rwn
  • Start date
  • Views 15,358
  • Replies 189
  • Likes 7

On a scale from one (low) to ten (high) how good is this game?

Votes: 6 3.1%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 3 1.6%

Votes: 5 2.6%

Votes: 12 6.3%

Votes: 24 12.5%

Votes: 48 25.0%

Votes: 88 45.8%

• Total voters

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you think about it, this is really just another 3-dimensional Mario game with the ability to "capture" mobs (that aren't wearing hats.) Of course, you have the Odyssey to travel around places and stuff, but this really makes no difference to how he travels. The main story is short and sweet. Would really like to see some DLC for this game. 9/10.
Of course. Sunshine was just Mario + FLUDD. Galaxy was just Mario + spherical/curved planets. You add one "little" mechanic like that to the tight controls and platforming Mario is known for, and it's a 9/10 every time at least. Why doesn't some other, "darker" or harder game exist with a similarly brilliant capture mechanic? Because nobody was able to do it well before Nintendo. I'll be damned if I wouldn't play a Soulslike with similar mechanics, where the bodies you use are disposable in some way, and every one has its own unique abilities/skills.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get how this game can get a 10/10 with such an atrocious camera. Why do people ignore flaws with a game? Is it because Nintendo doesn't listen to their fans? Collecting moons feels more of a chore instead of being fun. Super Mario Galaxy was way more fun than this game. I give it an 8/10.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't get how this game can get a 10/10 with such an atrocious camera. Why do people ignore flaws with a game? Is it because Nintendo doesn't listen to their fans?
I agree. I think this game is a good game and I find it quite fun, but it has its flaws.
And the camera... Well, it kind of make me remember Mario 64, and not in a good way damn Lakitu.
For me it is a 9/10 game, but 8/10 sound quite right, it is the subjective difference you would expect just from preferences.
Not a perfect game anyway.

Reactions: DarthDub

Ceuse

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After finishing it 100% i kinda feel like this game lacks alot of content im used from mario games. Yes you can collect a buttload of moons but some worlds are horribly small. If they were all the size of the desert that would be fine but even donk city feels small after you hunt down some moons. Expecially if i compare it to mario 64 this game feels small in size. Hell even super mario world for the snes feels bigger imo. I think/hope they add 10 or so worlds more with dlc but after playing it with all the hype it left a bad taste in my mouth. Combine that with a bad camera from time to time and some of the other flaws mentioned here before i defently felt dissapointed after finishing it. They should have either went full open world with it or chuck up the worlds in smaller portions which would have allowed for more modifications to the levels between the moons. Its not a bad game, but its not nearly close to the standart everybody expects a mario game to be. If i had to rate it i would give it a 7/10

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't get how this game can get a 10/10 with such an atrocious camera. Why do people ignore flaws with a game? Is it because Nintendo doesn't listen to their fans? Collecting moons feels more of a chore instead of being fun. Super Mario Galaxy was way more fun than this game. I give it an 8/10.
I haven't had any issues with the camera. It's not automatically perfect, you have to micromanage it a little. Less work than you have to do with a lot of other games, though.

Thanks for pointing this out. I like mario because of the platforming so I’ll think twice before buying this game.
Watch Dunkey's review, he notes that there are multiple ways to approach any situation. Cappy adds MORE options for platforming, not less. Example:

Last edited by Xzi,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be helpful (to me at least) for a help thread on the game, there have been a couple of times I have been unable to find moons even after reading some guides and watching videos

If someone feels happy to do that it would be great or I can ask for help in this thread ?

Reactions: kop365

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what moons? i know where they all are

Hi mate, it was just a kind of general suggestion, at the time I was looking for one in cascade kingdom but peach wasn't appearing by the water falls but after some googling I found it

Seeing as it's such a popular game might be an idea to have a thread for that or we can post here

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah most moons and mini quests won't appear until you've beaten bowser

The thing is I had beaten Bowser.... I had completed the story last week but am moon & coin collecting in every kingdom now to 100% it

What I had not done was visit the guy at the taxi in sand kingdom and then again in new donk city, as soon as I did that Peach showed up in cascade :D

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
weird to get peach to show up you just haveto talk to the toad at the mushroom kingdom?

My mistake, I was getting confused (i was hunting for a few yesterday)

The one I meant was this one

19. A TOURIST IN THE CASCADE KINGDOM

To get this power moon, you need to beat the game and return to the Sand Kingdom. Remember the taxi that’s always been there? Speak to a sombrero-wearing little guy, who’ll tell you that he can’t wait to take a ride. Then go to the Metro Kingdom and find him again. (It’s not hard. He’s right in front of you when you ride the wire to enter the city, and you’ll get a Metro Kingdom power moon for your trouble.) “I’d like to see a waterfall,” he’ll say. Return to the Cascade Kingdom, where you’ll find him and get this power moon.

Last edited by peteruk,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Bladexdsl

Stuck on Sand Kingdom Moon 45, the one u need to walk round and round in a circle, I get you will say its down to personal skill, but any pointers ? highest i get is like 37 and u need 80 for the moon

EDIT !! and as soon as i message you I tried again and got 97

I think your a lucky omen :rofl2::rofl2:

Last edited by peteruk,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Bladexdsl

So I am stuck on sand kingdom power moon 62 "Secret path to Tostarena"

The video guide I am following instructs me to go to Lake Kingdom go to the court yard and jump in a painting of the sand kingdom, trouble is my painting is of the Luncheon Kingdom, can you help ?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the paintings will take you to different places depending what order you visit the worlds in. so you just have to find the painting in another world that will take you there.
the order your supposed to visit them is for the guide to work
cap - cascade - sand - lake - wood - cloud - lost - metro - snow - seaside - lunch - ruined - bowser - moon

otherwise find the painting in another world that will take you there. you'll get there eventually.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-