1. PineappleGod

OP PineappleGod 酔いどれ神

United States
    Personally I am forced to buy for 2 reasons: sound quality (I need my FLACs) and selection (the troubles of foreign music). What about you guys?

2. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    I still go out of my way to have local digital copies on my devices. There are time when you have no signal, low data, or just don't want to be connected to anything.

x65943, Veho, GABO1423 and 1 other person like this.
  3. GABO1423

GABO1423 Vergación...

Venezuela
    Digital streaming is definitely the most convenient of the two, but I still prefer having a physical copy. The fact that digital media can be pretty fragile and how it can easily become lost and unaccessible just makes me feel worried that I might lose something that I "own"
    Physical media is just way easier to preserve, so that's why I prefer it.

PineappleGod likes this.
  4. PizzaBitez

PizzaBitez Shadow Clone Justu.

United States
    Streaming made it much cheaper for the average consumer. I prefer it

PineappleGod likes this.
  5. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    The only music I buy are records for my record player - for everything else I stream

PineappleGod and GABO1423 like this.
  6. arjunpatel

arjunpatel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    *Cough*
    piracy
    *Cough*
    sorry guys i meant spotify

Honestly its hard to make money on spotify if you underground there was a chart i cant find it but it showed how many listeners you need + clicks to make even a dollar

EDIT. found it https://www.visualcapitalist.com/how-many-music-streams-to-earn-a-dollar/ says 229 that is still alot.always support if ya can.

Last edited by arjunpatel, Aug 1, 2020
    PineappleGod likes this.
  7. JuanMena

JuanMena GBAtemp 90's Fan

Mexico
    Buying or Streaming music?

I'm still using Windows Media Player and MP3 files... I don't know what you're talking about... certainly don't.

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

PS: Streaming is a trend, and as all trends... it will get old overtime.

PineappleGod likes this.
  8. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    Streaming is super convenient, if it were to die you would need something like p2p streaming - which admittedly would be killer

PineappleGod, nxwing and GABO1423 like this.
  9. Chary

Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    I had a spotify trial for a year. I used it all of two times, just to stream new songs to my phone, and another time to test integration with a review item. I get that it's convenient for some, but I just get FLACs and then upload them to Google Play Music, so I have them on the go as well. Best of both worlds.

PineappleGod, x65943 and GABO1423 like this.
  10. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    The thing I like about Spotify is it can create a whole playlist for me of songs I never heard - all of which I somehow like

It's a novelty I can't really find anywhere else - even other streaming services couldn't get it right for me

Ofc I got music on my phone - but at some point I began to like hearing new stuff more than listening to my classics

PineappleGod, nxwing and GABO1423 like this.
  11. nxwing

nxwing TYPE-MOON Enthusiast

Philippines
    Pretty much always going with streaming when listening to my phone or iPad. Spotify's super convenient. It's suggestion algorithm is also pretty good. I use FLACs when I listen on my laptop. I do sorta buy CDs from time to time but only for the novelty of it really. I'd pretty much stick to digital.

x65943 and PineappleGod like this.
  12. PineappleGod

OP PineappleGod 酔いどれ神

United States
    The fact that Google Play Music transcodes to 320k MP3 is what out me off from using it. I don't want my 300gb of music tampered with lol.

13. Chary

Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    Yeah, that's the coolest part. I think I just have really weird and/or specific tastes. I never liked what it tried to come up with for me lol

It's not like it converts your preexisting files though? It just uploads them, then transcodes the ones in the cloud. Unless you mean listening while on the go at high bitrate quality.

x65943, PineappleGod and GABO1423 like this.
  14. JuanMena

JuanMena GBAtemp 90's Fan

Mexico
    I'm still using my stereo to hear cassettes and cd's pal.
    My music isn't going anywhere.
    Besides, if I want to listen music outdoors, all I have to do is to copy my files to my SD, put it on any MP3 player, and wear headphones.

I literally don't get why people would pay money for something that's almost completely free?

PineappleGod likes this.
  15. cauliquackers

cauliquackers GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Once in a blue moon I'll feel super sentimental about something so I'll buy a physical thing to hold. Otherwise I stream harder than a pregnant salmon.

Veho, nxwing and PineappleGod like this.
  16. nxwing

nxwing TYPE-MOON Enthusiast

Philippines
    Streaming music is extremely convenient. Wanna listen to a song but not buy the whole album? Easy. Wanna listen to a bunch of albums and save money? Streaming.

There's also curated playlists that are often updated, usually weekly. These playlists are a hit-or-miss depending on your overall taste. There's also song and artist suggestions based on your favorite ones and they're usually pretty spot on. Discovered lots of musicians I otherwise wouldn't have found through those algorithms.

PineappleGod likes this.
  17. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Addict

United States
    For music, I like streaming.

If I read books, I’d like to read an actual book. I’d like to not look at a bright screen for long time. Then I can also read outside and not have to deal with the glare on my screen.

For movies, I don’t mind renting a kids movies for a party, or something. Mostly, I’d rather buy movies because they aren’t much more to keep forever.

18. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    The Kindle has a good lightless solution that works similar to etch n sketch - no internal light at all and it works perfect outside just like a book

Highly recommend

nxwing, Chary, PineappleGod and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - streaming, thoughts, buying