Your reason for being a pirate

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Demifiend, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Demifiend
    OP

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Before anyone says, no, this is not a thread where i'm going to despise every pirate ever because they are evil and such, hell, i'm a pirate since the 4 years of age now with that out of the topic, We can start discussing this thread.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Because i love this community so much, I didn't wanted to over put all of my personal experiences about the matter, but since that was the reason i got into this community, I decided to put on a spoiler all of my personal experiences with piracy, you can read it if you feel free to do so, I don't want to put this thread with a Wall of Text that may put others uncomfortable, So, there it is, if you feel curious enough.

Going back with the last things i said, I found discussions about these things called "Copyright" and how piracy affected the industry of videogames, i live in a country that was affected by a Civil War until 2009, so i got into other close countries as well, needless to say, all of the countries that i lived didn't respected those things at heart.

I'm a believer that, once you bought a console (Let's say, a PS4) you have all of the rights to alter whatever thing you want with it, since the Hardware is yours, the technology is yours, you have the freedom to obtain anything you want with it, but apparently, there are some people in other parts of the world that might disagree with me.

I read about many charts, and it was concluded that comparing the sales of multiple flashcards with the sells of the actual consoles, the difference is staggering big, i read about a Wololo Study in 2014, and with actual facts, it was proven that the Gateway sold approx. 1 million of units around the world the actual sells of the consoles were (at that time) with 43 millions of 3DS consoles sold.

This proved that piracy was only concerning to a relatively small part of people compared to the others persons who bought the console with the purpose of playing original games on it, or that's what the Wololo page proved, I don't know if the source is totally reliable around these parts, but this is what i got.

But as always, the times always change, and this thread can always lead to fights, and senseless discussions where nothing is reached, so instead of putting my position over the others, I want to hear your reasons as of, why you are a pirate, and also, please, be honest with it, don't be afraid of telling us.

Especially for the people who lives in First World countries, such as England, Germany, USA, Canada, etc. I already know that there are a lot of poor people on those countries, i also know that many people doesn't have the biggest of the salaries and etc., but i'm curious to see as of why you turned into a pirate, with a story if possible.

Did you turned into a pirate because that's what you used to do?, did you turned into a pirate because you didn't want to agree with the policies of an specific company?, my eyes and mind are totally open about the matter, and last thing, if you're not a pirate, i don't think this thread will be appropriate for you, but all opinions are accepted, and that's what it matters.

Margen67, HaloEffect17 and ShawnTRods like this.

2. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    I started pirating back in 2004 with GBA games. When I first found out about GBA emulator and roms, I used to download 100s of games and hardly play any of those. The trend continued to xbox, wii, ds etc.

But!

Since 2012ish- I stopped pirating. Whatever rom I download, I purchase that game too. For example pokemon games.

Ever since I stopped pirating, I have started to finish every game I own and actually enjoy it.

I understand not everyone can buy games so they resort to pirating, but I think there was a thread about the 'pirating effect ' a while ago where people said that they don't put effort into games anymore because they pirated it. Or something alone the lines.

Tigroid, Wellington2k and Xenon Hacks like this.
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    tldr but to the threads main question I do it because I can and in the event I find something I like I will buy it at retail or from the publisher's site DRM free, for example The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy titles. Its a simple matter of "does this developer deserve my money".

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Nov 3, 2015
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. Seita

Seita GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    Back in the old golden days of arcade and consoles up to Dreamcast ( in my opinion ), games were of a higher quality because it took a lot of time to make them and a small number of gamers bought them. Quality had to be there. Now that gaming has become more of a pop culture, and that software and hardware has become much more powerful and cheaper, a lot of shit is being released. Piracy is there to try games and not get scammed for buying a worthless piece of software.

But, I always buy games that deserve support. Fire Emblem and Mario Kart are fine examples here.

My biggest concern is not piracy, but a much more abhorred part of it;cheat codes. ESPECIALLY ONLINE CHEAT CODES. They make a game totally unplayable and they are the most dangerous abomination ever created!

Tigroid likes this.
  5. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    because i can

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Things are too expensive; Having to pay a yearly subscription for a software app and it's updates (Antivirus, driver downloaders, etc) instead of a one time payment is bullshit, DLC in it's entirety is bullshit, devs are both lazy AND greedy 99% of the time. Certain portable versions of apps just come in a pirated/activated form, where there is no free portable version. Or there won't be a demo of a game, so we pirate it to test it out, and see if it's worth the purchase.

Last edited by Jayro, Oct 20, 2015
    Konno Ryo and Margen67 like this.
  7. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    No money, want games.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I honestly barely pirate.
    Mostly pre-release games.

9. m45t3r

m45t3r GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2007
    Brazil
    Or the Steam effect, that makes you buy tons of games (since they're cheap) and play almost no one.

Ammako, lampdemon and RodrigoDavy like this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Oh boy, another one of these threads.

My answer still hasn't changed since the first thread about this years ago. 90% of the time, I'm pirating a game because I want to try before I buy, especially before I had a lot of disposable income to waste on whatever. It was simply easier to go download Call of Battlefield: Modern Duty and playing an hour or two and deciding whether it was worth it than spending $60 on the game, deciding you don't like it too much, then having to go through annoying return/refund processes (assuming it's not a digital game on a console, or something that doesn't fall in line with Steam's rules for refunds).

The other 10% pertains to older games that I can't be assed to buy, or that are for consoles I simply don't have and don't feel like spending money for.

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  11. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    I pirate because i enjoy pirating, but i end up in not playing at all the games that i've pirated

Games&Stuff and lampdemon like this.
  12. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    Games in my country can be 1/3 of the monthly minimum wage (launch PS4 games), it's impossible to be a gamer if not rich. 3DS games cost 1/6 of a monthly minimum wage.
    Also for rare games, there are so many games almost impossible to find, so piracy is perfect for this.

Pacheko17 likes this.
  13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't really pirate anything beyond old ultra-retro games anymore, but when I did pirate, it was a matter of convenience and money. Simply put, my thirst for media was larger than my income. Now I buy my games and I feel good about it - finding a copy of an old Amiga game made by a company that closed down 10 years ago can be a challenge though, so I don't feel bad about downloading those. Occasionally I'll download a PC game to try it out, but only if there's no console version that I could play and I rarely spend time playing those.

lampdemon and Konno Ryo like this.
  14. ringo1206

ringo1206 Banned

Banned
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    The truth is I can't really afford every game I'd like to play. I feel bad about it, since
    Nintendo is one of my favorite companys, and I usually try to buy a game that I pirated and played
    a long time.

15. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    In Brazil 3DS games are more like 1/4 of the minimum wage.

RodrigoDavy and dekuleon like this.
  16. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Simple, in my country games are just too expensive.

Agent4834, Ammako and Margen67 like this.
  17. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    I pirate a lot less than I used to in the past because I have a bit more of a disposable income, but when I do pirate something it's generally to try it quickly before deciding if I want to buy it or not.

18. Sunny_lovely

Sunny_lovely Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2012
    India
    Amritsar, Punjab
    I had piracy "thrusted" upon me
    I played pirated games (paid for them -_- ) for couple of years in 2006
    Then it became a habit and I am proud of it :) even though I shouldn't be

19. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I first heard of piracy when my filipino childhood friend had a chipped phat PS1 back in the 90's and his family used to buy pirated ps1 games from Manila in bulk and bring them back to Australia. Pretty sure i personally wore out the rubber coating of the thumbsticks on one of his controllers.

Around about 2000 when i got my first PC, i discovered the joy of SNES and GB/C emulators. When all my friends had to save up their pocket money for months to buy Pokemon Gold/Silver, i was playing that shit for free :D I was a massive fan of SNES rpg's which were insanely hard to find in my city, so I was downloading them on my superfast 56k dialup internet.....

Then i got an Xbox 1 and chipped it with an Xecuter3, that was my first true piracy phase. Then i got a DS lite with an Acekard2i. Every other console ive ever owned after those two has basically had some form of piracy enabling hack or hardware installed into it.

I'm the worst kind of pirate that devs love to hate, playing free games purely because i can, despite my Mining job in Australia, which as most people know is quit lucrative and enough to fund a compulsive video game habit plus a bit more. If anyone is going to video game hell, it's me.

nxwing likes this.
  20. ringo1206

ringo1206 Banned

Banned
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Same mate