Your reason for being a pirate

Demifiend

The bored one
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Before anyone says, no, this is not a thread where i'm going to despise every pirate ever because they are evil and such, hell, i'm a pirate since the 4 years of age now with that out of the topic, We can start discussing this thread.

When i was young, i used to play with an old Compaq computer, that had a Sega Genesis emulator with tons of roms, I didn't know what a Genesis was, or what was the kind of games i was going to play, i just knew that i called that computer the "Game Box" where Sonic was in, that was in 2004/2005 mind you, and i played the shit out of the Sonic the Hedgehog games for the Sega Genesis, yeah, even Sonic 3D Blast which many people don't seem to enjoy.

I did also played others roms, like my introduction with the Mortal Kombat games (With 1,2 & 3 nonetheless), Vectorman, Earthworm Jim, some Disney games, Pulseman (Amazing game btw, from the same creators of the Pokemon series) and such, I didn't know i was doing something that i shouldn't or not, i just didn't care nor i would care in a future.

Later, in 2008, when i received my NDS Lite, i wanted to play more and more games, i got a Naruto game called "Naruto: Ninja Destiny" despite being a licensed anime game, it was actually a pretty enjoyable game, the music was nice, the controls felt really smooth, i really liked the game, sadly, I broke the cartridge quite some time ago, and it's now broken.

Anyways, i begged my parents for more games, especially the New Super Mario Bros DS that i saw in many commercials, I wished for a way to play many, many games on the NDS without having to actually paying for every single one that i wanted, and they told me that there was a way to do so, it was called, the R4.

Before the NDS Lite, but after the "Game Box" that i used to call, I got a PS1, with many, many games, it was modded so all the games that i was playing were CD backups of it, just to put it briefly, i had tons of fun hours with that thing, and i still enjoy playing it once in a while, going back to the topic, this is all i knew about piracy, i didn't know about Flashcards, CFW's or others kinds of chips.

When i received my R4, it was one of my happiest days ever, i was amazed that one cartridge could hold many of the games the NDS had, I researched more about it, and i found many other things, like how to put cheats on the games, how to update the firmware of my flashcard, and so, i was amazed how vast the flashcard market were for the NDS.

Later on, i got a Wii and it was awesome, i played and still play a ton of fun hours with that machine, it is really a neat console, i knew at that time that my Wii could use normal DVD's as backups, and i finally started to know how these things exactly worked, later on, i knew that the Wii could play backups on it with something called Neogamma.

I knew that my Wii could play backups and such, that was the only thing i cared back then, but i was still curious in how to do those things and so, i researched more about that and i discovered the Homebrew Channel, i followed some tutorials, and i managed to hack my Wii, which is now both modded with a chip, and with the Homebrew Channel.

Now, this has been a long history about how i got introduced with this, then i had the PSP and i also hacked that bitch mercilessly, as of now, all of my consoles (Except for my PS3, because i bought it without knowing that all the FW's in 3.56> were unhackeable, yes, i was pissed about that too, at least i believe Modrobert will do something about the matter).

And i always knew, that every console was going to be hacked, for example, i knew that my 3DS was such an amazing system, with a great quantity and quality of games, that i seriously wanted for a CFW, sadly, i bought the console at the end of 2011, where the only thing ever related to something like that was the fake Crown 3DS.

I waited, and waited, and finally, this year, i got what i wanted, the rxtools 3.0 on my 3DS, and i was so happy about it, for now, i played some things like Mighty Switch Force, Awakening, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Retro City Rampage and such, it was a really happy time for me, until i found discussions about these things.

Because i love this community so much, I didn't wanted to over put all of my personal experiences about the matter, but since that was the reason i got into this community, I decided to put on a spoiler all of my personal experiences with piracy, you can read it if you feel free to do so, I don't want to put this thread with a Wall of Text that may put others uncomfortable, So, there it is, if you feel curious enough.

Going back with the last things i said, I found discussions about these things called "Copyright" and how piracy affected the industry of videogames, i live in a country that was affected by a Civil War until 2009, so i got into other close countries as well, needless to say, all of the countries that i lived didn't respected those things at heart.

I'm a believer that, once you bought a console (Let's say, a PS4) you have all of the rights to alter whatever thing you want with it, since the Hardware is yours, the technology is yours, you have the freedom to obtain anything you want with it, but apparently, there are some people in other parts of the world that might disagree with me.

I read about many charts, and it was concluded that comparing the sales of multiple flashcards with the sells of the actual consoles, the difference is staggering big, i read about a Wololo Study in 2014, and with actual facts, it was proven that the Gateway sold approx. 1 million of units around the world the actual sells of the consoles were (at that time) with 43 millions of 3DS consoles sold.

This proved that piracy was only concerning to a relatively small part of people compared to the others persons who bought the console with the purpose of playing original games on it, or that's what the Wololo page proved, I don't know if the source is totally reliable around these parts, but this is what i got.

But as always, the times always change, and this thread can always lead to fights, and senseless discussions where nothing is reached, so instead of putting my position over the others, I want to hear your reasons as of, why you are a pirate, and also, please, be honest with it, don't be afraid of telling us.

Especially for the people who lives in First World countries, such as England, Germany, USA, Canada, etc. I already know that there are a lot of poor people on those countries, i also know that many people doesn't have the biggest of the salaries and etc., but i'm curious to see as of why you turned into a pirate, with a story if possible.

Did you turned into a pirate because that's what you used to do?, did you turned into a pirate because you didn't want to agree with the policies of an specific company?, my eyes and mind are totally open about the matter, and last thing, if you're not a pirate, i don't think this thread will be appropriate for you, but all opinions are accepted, and that's what it matters.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I started pirating back in 2004 with GBA games. When I first found out about GBA emulator and roms, I used to download 100s of games and hardly play any of those. The trend continued to xbox, wii, ds etc.

But!

Since 2012ish- I stopped pirating. Whatever rom I download, I purchase that game too. For example pokemon games.

Ever since I stopped pirating, I have started to finish every game I own and actually enjoy it.

I understand not everyone can buy games so they resort to pirating, but I think there was a thread about the 'pirating effect ' a while ago where people said that they don't put effort into games anymore because they pirated it. Or something alone the lines.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tldr but to the threads main question I do it because I can and in the event I find something I like I will buy it at retail or from the publisher's site DRM free, for example The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy titles. Its a simple matter of "does this developer deserve my money".

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Back in the old golden days of arcade and consoles up to Dreamcast ( in my opinion ), games were of a higher quality because it took a lot of time to make them and a small number of gamers bought them. Quality had to be there. Now that gaming has become more of a pop culture, and that software and hardware has become much more powerful and cheaper, a lot of shit is being released. Piracy is there to try games and not get scammed for buying a worthless piece of software.

But, I always buy games that deserve support. Fire Emblem and Mario Kart are fine examples here.

My biggest concern is not piracy, but a much more abhorred part of it;cheat codes. ESPECIALLY ONLINE CHEAT CODES. They make a game totally unplayable and they are the most dangerous abomination ever created!

Reactions: Tigroid

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Things are too expensive; Having to pay a yearly subscription for a software app and it's updates (Antivirus, driver downloaders, etc) instead of a one time payment is bullshit, DLC in it's entirety is bullshit, devs are both lazy AND greedy 99% of the time. Certain portable versions of apps just come in a pirated/activated form, where there is no free portable version. Or there won't be a demo of a game, so we pirate it to test it out, and see if it's worth the purchase.

Last edited by Jayro,

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I started pirating back in 2004 with GBA games. When I first found out about GBA emulator and roms, I used to download 100s of games and hardly play any of those. The trend continued to xbox, wii, ds etc.

But!

Since 2012ish- I stopped pirating. Whatever rom I download, I purchase that game too. For example pokemon games.

Ever since I stopped pirating, I have started to finish every game I own and actually enjoy it.

I understand not everyone can buy games so they resort to pirating, but I think there was a thread about the 'pirating effect ' a while ago where people said that they don't put effort into games anymore because they pirated it. Or something alone the lines.

Or the Steam effect, that makes you buy tons of games (since they're cheap) and play almost no one.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, another one of these threads.

My answer still hasn't changed since the first thread about this years ago. 90% of the time, I'm pirating a game because I want to try before I buy, especially before I had a lot of disposable income to waste on whatever. It was simply easier to go download Call of Battlefield: Modern Duty and playing an hour or two and deciding whether it was worth it than spending $60 on the game, deciding you don't like it too much, then having to go through annoying return/refund processes (assuming it's not a digital game on a console, or something that doesn't fall in line with Steam's rules for refunds).

The other 10% pertains to older games that I can't be assed to buy, or that are for consoles I simply don't have and don't feel like spending money for.

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Games in my country can be 1/3 of the monthly minimum wage (launch PS4 games), it's impossible to be a gamer if not rich. 3DS games cost 1/6 of a monthly minimum wage.
Also for rare games, there are so many games almost impossible to find, so piracy is perfect for this.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't really pirate anything beyond old ultra-retro games anymore, but when I did pirate, it was a matter of convenience and money. Simply put, my thirst for media was larger than my income. Now I buy my games and I feel good about it - finding a copy of an old Amiga game made by a company that closed down 10 years ago can be a challenge though, so I don't feel bad about downloading those. Occasionally I'll download a PC game to try it out, but only if there's no console version that I could play and I rarely spend time playing those.

ringo1206

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The truth is I can't really afford every game I'd like to play. I feel bad about it, since
Nintendo is one of my favorite companys, and I usually try to buy a game that I pirated and played
a long time.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Games in my country can be 1/3 of the monthly minimum wage (launch PS4 games), it's impossible to be a gamer if not rich. 3DS games cost 1/6 of a monthly minimum wage.
Also for rare games, there are so many games almost impossible to find, so piracy is perfect for this.

In Brazil 3DS games are more like 1/4 of the minimum wage.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I first heard of piracy when my filipino childhood friend had a chipped phat PS1 back in the 90's and his family used to buy pirated ps1 games from Manila in bulk and bring them back to Australia. Pretty sure i personally wore out the rubber coating of the thumbsticks on one of his controllers.

Around about 2000 when i got my first PC, i discovered the joy of SNES and GB/C emulators. When all my friends had to save up their pocket money for months to buy Pokemon Gold/Silver, i was playing that shit for free :D I was a massive fan of SNES rpg's which were insanely hard to find in my city, so I was downloading them on my superfast 56k dialup internet.....

Then i got an Xbox 1 and chipped it with an Xecuter3, that was my first true piracy phase. Then i got a DS lite with an Acekard2i. Every other console ive ever owned after those two has basically had some form of piracy enabling hack or hardware installed into it.

I'm the worst kind of pirate that devs love to hate, playing free games purely because i can, despite my Mining job in Australia, which as most people know is quit lucrative and enough to fund a compulsive video game habit plus a bit more. If anyone is going to video game hell, it's me.

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-