Your opinion differs from my opinion therefore you are a troll

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Retal, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Retal
    OP

Member Retal GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    This mentality embodies the most significant problem plaguing these forums at present.

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I disagree, you troll. *closes topic*

are you trying to start a debate or something or are you just ranting? [​IMG]
    because I'm not really sure where you're going with this...

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I don'get it...

4. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

fix'd

5. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Oh I get it... Saw that post. And having a mod remove your post isn't really a big deal... Whine moar TC.

6. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    I understand you, but the problem is since I'm a troll and I don't know how to troll I'm going too troll around.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I apologize in advance for this, but it must be done-

8. Retal
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's not why I made this topic. It merely reminded me to make it.

The term "troll" has recently caught on like wildfire across Internet forums and its meaning is not well defined, or at least, not well known. It is frequently banded around as a catch-all for any behaviour that anyone disagrees with to the point where it has no meaning at all. If a moderator deletes posts with reason "troll" then that's analogous to entering no reason at all, but that doesn't matter because if a moderator wants to moderate then they don't need a reason. The real problem stems from casual users misusing it, or using it at all.

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    One thing...You'll know a troll when you see one...End

10. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    LOL.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You clearly cannot tell the difference between trolling and spirited discussion despite the fact there is a huge difference. I'll give some examples. Since anime isn't something I like, I'll use that as an example.

A "spirited discussion" quote would be something along these lines.

(side note, I didn't mean any of that, it was a troll example. Plenty of people who like anime get laid at the cosplaying conventions for sure).

There's plenty of times when you can agree to disagree with something and thusly it's not considered "trolling". Trolling is when you make an outrageous comment to provoke an equally offense response. If you voice your opinion in a manner that says "I disagree with what you say but its your opinion", then it's not trolling.

Side note this deserves to be Edge'd. It's not a "site suggestion" as much as complaining about a subject that the poster obviously has gotten completely wrong and doesn't understand.

12. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This thread is truth. Although you DID have that one coming.

13. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    People who have a differing opinion from me are not trolls, they are simply wrong.

14. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I just want to agree on this statement......

Most honest post in last hour or so [​IMG]

15. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The definition for "trolling" is quite right, but I can't see that example as a troll attempt, more like simple douchebaggery.

Trolls are most often people who just say something (the more opposite, the better) to cause an up-rage. And they also expose better grammar skills than the mediocre n00b-douchebag (like the one in the example).

I guess Retal's post is to say that "Troll" is too often used nowadays in improperly labelling people just because they have a different opinion.
    If you don't like something, just say the guy's a troll. Simple as that.

16. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    One thing you can do to get rid of a troll if to carry on a normal conversation directly with the troll. Trolls can't can't seem carry on a regular conversations for extended periods of time and grow tired and eventually stop. I seen it on the discovery channel.

If they can carry on a conversation, then you're dealing with a douchebag like raulpica earlier mentioned.

17. DQN

Newcomer DQN Newbie

United States
    Fixed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/6133...e-internet.html

Most of the points made in the above link are rubbish, but the writer is spot on in listing "The art of polite disagreement" as one of more important things being "killed off" by the internet. From my personal experience, it's becoming near impossible to browse any online community casually without encountering at least one dispute fueled by flaring tempers, swelling egos, and a general disrespect for anyone with a differing opinion. It's like watching a group of 4-year-olds in a sandbox squabble over a plastic shovel.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Essentially, but smart people can tell the difference between a logical argument and a troll argument. If it's a logical argument, it's usually resumed and done so in a respectful manner. If it's a troll argument, it's either a shit tossing fight back and forth or it ends with the opposition to the troll saying "Obvious troll is obvious, flame shields on!"

19. Retal
    OP

United Kingdom
    You're right about everything there, actually. The most significant problem facing these forums, specifically, are rather numerous COPPA violations as exemplified by the post at the top of this second page. This, in turn, is no doubt responsible for the death of the art of discussion which, in addition to here, has started to completely disappear from the (public) internet in general.

20. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    trolls are dumb fucks who come into your forum and bad mouth your console, it's games, it's users and pretty much than try to say their consoles, games and users are better. they'll also jump into threads such as the latest game being released and annoy everyone in it by saying this game is shit, it's not hardcore (I HATE THAT WORD) blah blah.