Your favorite level in games?

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
What’s your favorite video game level of all time? It can be from any game. Personally, mine is Lethal Lava Land from SM64. The sad thing is that it’s the level I’m best at in that game, so in every playthrough it’s always the place I spend the least time in

Last edited by Mama Looigi,

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMB3 Giant Land :). It takes me back to being 4-5 and the amazement of seeing everything SUPER BIG. Plus going through the doors to make things small again, or big again. But then again there's also Pipe Land with its infuriating mazes. Ah childhood. I remember drawing the little cards from the flip-the-card puzzle on paper.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sitting here I am not sure. It would have to be something I play to relax or just chill with which immediately means skateboard games and motorcross games with free roam. None of the other alternative extreme sports do much for me here, even if I do like them -- some of the BMX games do well but I have never found controls I like which also detracts from the level for me.

Skateboarding then more or less means mainstream Tony Hawk (don't think we need the Disney spinoffs) or EA's Skate games. Skate 2's level was probably the best as 3... I like it and play it to this day but eh.

Shooting game wise. 007 Nightfire probably has some things to teach us here.

Platformer. Rare had some good stuff for the N64 but nothing I especially want to note in this. 2d wise then I do actually really like megadrive Sonic.

Open world. Morrowind is most likely my pick for Elder Scrolls but I dare say I would sooner do some of the later might and magic games, have not done enough Far Cry games right now to say and most of those are soured a bit by changing games and mechanics within the game (by the time you unlock stuf and clear out the bases the fun of exploration goes way down). Never particularly had any Japanese offerings do much for me, and dungeon crawlers are commonly both random and forgettable even when they are scripted.

All this is to say I am going to have to go think about this one. Did take a look at my wall of games and still have minimal.

Super Mario Sunshine has the best 3D Mario controls. fite mii
While I could see Mario Sunshine being best 3d Mario (though I would probably say it is) being a contentious pick I am not sure the controls thing would be.

Your competition/lineup is then
Some handheld efforts. Not going to happen so we can skip that. Some do impressively well with what they have but otherwise no.
Mario 64. A commendable effort but single stick and still learning the concept means it is unlikely to get too far here.
Sunshine. So conventional 3d by the time 3d was more or less figured out with a twin stick controller as standard (never tried a RE chainsaw controller here). Fludd makes things more forgiving but that is not a bad thing. Worst part is probably going to be climbing under the city as I always seem to forget the controls and release to my doom. No fludd sections are also really tight.
Mario Galaxy and its sequel. Probably as good as a wiimote ever felt for me but the planet gimmick got old very quickly. Can you even play these with classic controls?
Wii U didn't have anything 3d.
Odyssey then. Between the hat gimmick meaning most things barely made an appearance (though I will note the Sunshine roller coaster section also being fairly brief here, even if it was one of my favourite parts) and switch controls not being as comfortable as a dedicated controller (haven't tried odyssey with any kind of controller adapter).

Luigi's mansion would be next.
Don't know what goes for the emulated versions of 64. I will be interested to see what becomes of the N64 source recreation here.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Probably from Dark Souls 1, Anor Londo.

Anor Londo is such a beautiful area in the game, especially when it's shortly after you just finish the absolute worst area in the game (Blighttown). Even if the main areas you can explore are a little simplistic, the whole overview of the world is 10/10.

Also big titty illusion waifu :wub:

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Super Mario World Donut Plains 1

how can one level have so much fun?

DP1_Key.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Resident Evil 2 - Laboratories and Escape Train with both Characters (what else....:D).
What else? I dare say most people that were fans of the game would say the rest of the game. Certainly most of the reviews and restrospectives of it note the later game levels as being less than both brilliant and the earlier part of the game.
To each their own of course but the above is not an answer I would expect to hear often.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm...this is a cool question.

I'd probably have to go with Temporal Tower from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time/Dark/Sky. The music is crazy good, everything is at a dramatic fever pitch, and it leads to one of my favorite boss fights in a game.

I mean, hnnn, that music tho.

Otherwise, I'd have to go with City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2. That single level blew me away as a kid, and it's the only reason I really come back to SA2--just to replay that level.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Probably the Magic Kingdom chapter in Chrono Trigger.
Arriving in the sky world, with the music, and all the advanced civilisation truly felt magical.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I still remember that undersea palace song.
That place had some of the best music I ever heard, at the time I played.
That may explain why I played and replayed this game for hundred of hours.

I eventually maxed all my characters and found all secrets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1