Hacking Yet another graphic WBFS manager for Linux.

pantufas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here's my new WBFS manager for Linux (latest version: 0.1.9)

screenshot.png

It is written in C with GTK+ and uses libwbfs. Besides listing and showing free/used/total space, it currently supports the most basic libwbfs operations:
  • add ISO to WBFS
  • remove disc from WBFS
  • rename discs in WBFS
  • extract disc from WBFS to ISO
  • format a partition as WBFS
(I have credited Kwiirk and caristat for libwbfs, should I add someone else?)

Changes since version 0.1.7:
  • fix bug where changing gnome desktops during game adding would add the game twice
  • option to show/hide hidden (dot) files in filesystem panel
Available at:
http://linux-wbfs-manager.googlecode.com/f...er-0.1.9.tar.gz
(currently source only, sorry)

Usage information:
http://code.google.com/p/linux-wbfs-manager/wiki/Usage

To compile it, simply type "make" (you need libglade2).

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you.

Compiled and working great for me.
I've been waiting for an app like this.

Thank you again.

Small suggestion:
A scroll bar for the games list. (Not a requirement for me since I have just an 80GB, but it would be useful.)

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a cleaner interface and Cojiro's. The one feature missing from both (that I don't need anymore, lol) is the ability to go directly from a DVD backup to the WBFS partition. There's a windows utility that does it, so it's possible, but no *nix variety of it yet.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, strange, I can run this as a normal user, but I get a floating point exception when I try to run it as root. So I can't use it for anything right now.

Any ideas? It seemed to compile correctly (after I installed libglade)

pantufas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hooya said:
The one feature missing from both (that I don't need anymore, lol) is the ability to go directly from a DVD backup to the WBFS partition. There's a windows utility that does it, so it's possible, but no *nix variety of it yet.
That would be nice... but I really just did the GUI and the glue to libwbfs, so we'll have to wait for the libwbfs guys to support it...

Hooya said:
OK, strange, I can run this as a normal user, but I get a floating point exception when I try to run it as root. So I can't use it for anything right now.

Any ideas? It seemed to compile correctly (after I installed libglade)
Hmmm... that's really strange... Are you by any chance running in 64 bits? Either way, I have a few suggestions:

1. First of all, try recompiling everything from scratch:

Code:
make clean; make
and see if the problem persists (maybe some files got compiled incorrectly before you installed libglade?).

2. If that doesn't work, manually add read/write permissions to the device you want to use, e.g.:

CODE
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/sdb1
so you can run it as a normal user. Unfortunatelly, most Linux distros create the device files on demand, so you would have to do it every time you plug in your HD/pendrive.

3. If you really have the time and disposition, you might want to try using gdb to find out what exactly is happening. If you like, I can send you specific instructions on how to do it so we can try to fix it.

Anyway, thanks for testing!

pantufas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
houseonfire said:
Just reporting that I have had no problems with it yet. I just transferred 3 games to it.
Thanks for testing! It's great to know it's useful for someone besides me :-)

Anyway, version 0.1.4 is up, the only change is the ability to rename discs in the WBFS partition (right-click to popup a menu).

http://linux-wbfs-manager.googlecode.com/f...er-0.1.4.tar.gz

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pantufas said:
Hmmm... that's really strange... Are you by any chance running in 64 bits? Either way, I have a few suggestions:

1. First of all, try recompiling everything from scratch:

Code:
make clean; make
and see if the problem persists (maybe some files got compiled incorrectly before you installed libglade?).

2. If that doesn't work, manually add read/write permissions to the device you want to use, e.g.:

Code:
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/sdb1
so you can run it as a normal user. Unfortunatelly, most Linux distros create the device files on demand, so you would have to do it every time you plug in your HD/pendrive.

3. If you really have the time and disposition, you might want to try using gdb to find out what exactly is happening. If you like, I can send you specific instructions on how to do it so we can try to fix it.

Anyway, thanks for testing!

Yes, I'm on 64-bit. Ubuntu 9.04. Cojiro's wrapper worked fine for me, so I'm continuing to use that in the meantime.

1. Same problem after re-compiling (I had tried multiple times already). Looking at the CL output there's nothing suspect.

2. After chmod the drive I got the floating point exception on the program no matter how I ran it! So it's somewhere in how it accesses the device. The device at the time of my trials was /dev/sdd1 (with /dev/sdd2 being a FAT32 partition, if that matters).

3. We can try. I have no idea what this would entail, but as long as you don' think I'm going to all of a sudden kill my WBFS partition I'm game.

Ferratilis

Trophies
XP
Country
Getting floating point exception here might be 64 reason?

Tried it on my netbook with 32bit and it works so the exception is a 64bit problem

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferratilis said:
Getting floating point exception here might be 64 reason?

Probably. He sent me a fixed version to test. It runs but I haven't had the opportunity to make sure it manages games properly. He should post that publicly for others to test as well.

pantufas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ArangeL said:
Can ADD ALL THE ISO (include more partitions like Updates, VCs, etc) into WBFS?
Thanks.
From what I've seen so far in libwbfs, this looks possible....

But I'm busy right now working on figuring out how much space a game will take before adding it. This will prevent the program from eating all the free space and failing when the user tries to add a game that doesn't fit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?