ROM Hack RELEASE Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Name De-Localization

Kmer300

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me when I say I would love to do one and I think most people can agree the game deserves a proper translation, but even if I found the time to do it, it's still way beyond my skillset at the moment.
You have done incredible work translating the names thank you. 😊

Hopefully somewhere down the line someone could give the game a full overhaul. We all know Nintendo and Monolith aren’t going to do it.

Kmer300

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you considered giving your mod to other potentially interested parties? Such as people that mod fan translations for jrpg’s.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Have you considered giving your mod to other potentially interested parties? Such as people that mod fan translations for jrpg’s.
I was only responsible for the script changes, the person who worked on the hack itself is planning on making it public when they're complete with their own project.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
DLC for base game is fixed but unfortunately it looks like Torna is an impossibility at the moment with how this patch works since it's a bit hacky.
It's definitely not the worst playing with the half translation since the cast is smaller, but you'll definitely get whiplash from the nation names.
Ah, that's a shame. I hope someone finds a way to make it work. It'd be a bit jarring to play the game with the proper names in the main game and then play the DLC with the localized ones.

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was with v1.0, so might've been fixed already, but this line from "Nopon of Good Tastes" is missing the Gormott -> Gula change.
2022-05-02_17-42-39.png

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found another bug, this time with v2.0, Pietre's dialog for Passion of the Artisan doesn't play, only the party responses (the dialog option as to what type of creature he saw doesn't appear either)
With the mod this is all I get:
2022-05-02_18-59-30.png

2022-05-02_18-59-33.png

Compared to without the mod:
2022-05-02_19-06-20.png

2022-05-02_19-06-24.png

2022-05-02_19-06-29.png
2022-05-02_19-06-27.png

Also, one thing to consider for future updates is changing the name of arts (For example, Feral Uppercut to Wild Up). I'm also not sure about the change from Nia to Niyah, I feel like Nia is close enough to keep.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, one thing to consider for future updates is changing the name of arts (For example, Feral Uppercut to Wild Up). I'm also not sure about the change from Nia to Niyah, I feel like Nia is close enough to keep.
Yeah I don't feel like it was a worthwhile change when they sound exactly the same. To my mind, it'd be like changing Shulk to Shuruku: We know what the actual intent is being drawn across there, the localization just gets straight to the point.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing a couple side quests and noticing a lot more cuts in dialogue? I just accepted True Colors in Uraya/Invidia and had everyone's "sounds like trouble" play and then cut to "leave it to us" without any message from the character. I want to say similar happened with Diplomatic Tensions in Gormott/Gula. I'm not reading all of these but still notable for people who wish to use this and actually like all it's dialogue

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Found another bug, this time with v2.0, Pietre's dialog for Passion of the Artisan doesn't play, only the party responses (the dialog option as to what type of creature he saw doesn't appear either)

Doing a couple side quests and noticing a lot more cuts in dialogue? I just accepted True Colors in Uraya/Invidia and had everyone's "sounds like trouble" play and then cut to "leave it to us" without any message from the character. I want to say similar happened with Diplomatic Tensions in Gormott/Gula. I'm not reading all of these but still notable for people who wish to use this and actually like all it's dialogue

Uhhh yeah not good. Thanks for documenting, it let me easily verify that those files look completely fine. So somehow adding the DLC just blew things up. Bizarre.

I'm going to take it down for the time being, maybe throw up the prev version too when I find the right one.
Nuts it did this, just as we were working on a (sloppy) way to get Torna to potentially work.

Reactions: Tsukiru

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhh yeah not good. Thanks for documenting, it let me easily verify that those files look completely fine. So somehow adding the DLC just blew things up. Bizarre.

I'm going to take it down for the time being, maybe throw up the prev version too when I find the right one.
Nuts it did this, just as we were working on a (sloppy) way to get Torna to potentially work.
Unfortunate but understandable. Wish you all the best!

Reactions: archerboy

Digitalcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With the mod this is all I get:View attachment 308412
View attachment 308413

Compared to without the mod:
View attachment 308414
View attachment 308415
View attachment 308417View attachment 308416

Just came to pretty much post this, just noticed it after doing some side quests, and talking to random npc's, a lot of dialogue seems to be missing now, what's the best version to stick with for now just V1 I guess, since that's the only one left in the OP?

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh something I've always wanted to mention is that when characters stutter named "P...Pyra!", the first letter of the localized name remained "P...Homura!" A line during Chapter 4 was also missed for Kiku still being Lila.

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just came to pretty much post this, just noticed it after doing some side quests, and talking to random npc's, a lot of dialogue seems to be missing now, what's the best version to stick with for now just V1 I guess, since that's the only one left in the OP?
Yeah v1 for now until v2 is fixed up
Oh something I've always wanted to mention is that when characters stutter named "P...Pyra!", the first letter of the localized name remained "P...Homura!" A line during Chapter 4 was also missed for Kiku still being Lila.
Thanks, there were a ton of these I found, most of should be fix in v2...when it's working

Last edited by archerboy,
Reactions: Tsukiru

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah v1 for now until v2 is fixed up

Thanks, there were a ton of these I found, most of should be fix in v2...when it's working
It seems the v1 you uploaded is not the original.
This is the original, it has 3495 files, the one you have uploaded has 3648 files.
The one immediately obvious difference is this one doesn't have the Nia to Niyah change, which the one you uploaded does.

Attachments

• XBC2DLv1.0.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: archerboy

archerboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It seems the v1 you uploaded is not the original.
This is the original, it has 3495 files, the one you have uploaded has 3648 files.
The one immediately obvious difference is this one doesn't have the Nia to Niyah change, which the one you uploaded does.
Yes that's technically the first version created that had quite a few bugs before being ironed out with the one I posted in the main. But this and the main one do not have the dialogue breaking issue v2 is having at the moment.

But good to have for posterity, I have way too many non-public versions to keep track of.

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you going to fix the names (and other things) in Xenoblade 3 too? (even if they won't alter the names for characters in this game, all references will be using cringeworthy dub ones for sure).
You have done incredible work translating the names thank you. 😊

Hopefully somewhere down the line someone could give the game a full overhaul. We all know Nintendo and Monolith aren’t going to do it.
Yup. This game definitely deserves full re-translation. So many things have been changed (and censored) in the script that it would probably be easier to list what's left of the original.
I wrote a bit about it in my review here (I personally played it entirely in Japanese)

Last edited by rsc-pl,

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Confirmed cringy altered names for now in X3:

Rudi altered to Valdi
Mashiro to Fiona
Niina to Alexandria
Yuzuriha to Juniper
Isurugi to Isurd
Nami to Nimue

Last edited by rsc-pl,
Reactions: TankedThomas

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, Xenoblade 3 really needs a de-localization mod holy crap the things people are finding out about the "liberties" localizators have taken.
Yes the "liberties" people made up for the job they don't know about. It's a worldwide release and it's pretty common today for the localization team to work closely during development. Which probably means the original staff approved or were talked to about it. It's not the 2000s where liberties were often taken. It's definitely trying to recreate the atmosphere of 1 (Fantasy land known as Britain) which the developers have to know about by now and would've said something about it. Far more likely the Japanese team approved of this direction which says more than you just not liking it. If they like their game told that way, oh well.

Making a big stink about 3 "needing" it when clearly it doesn't matter that much, having beaten the game. Not the greatest but its really minor stuff.

Not to mention archerboy had already mentioned they don't want to enter rewrite territory. This is about changing 2's names to match with the Japanese script. You can put your whining about "localizers" and "cringy" changes elsewhere. Because I really don't need to hear the concept of just changing names treated like it's the worst thing known to man or more weird talk about localizers. Especially for a separate game entirely.

Last edited by Tsukiru,
  • Angry
Reactions: rsc-pl

Niko_of_Death

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the "liberties" people made up for the job they don't know about. It's a worldwide release and it's pretty common today for the localization team to work closely during development. Which probably means the original staff approved or were talked to about it. It's not the 2000s where liberties were often taken. It's definitely trying to recreate the atmosphere of 1 (Fantasy land known as Britain) which the developers have to know about by now and would've said something about it. Far more likely the Japanese team approved of this direction which says more than you just not liking it. If they like their game told that way, oh well.

Making a big stink about 3 "needing" it when clearly it doesn't matter that much, having beaten the game. Not the greatest but its really minor stuff.

Not to mention archerboy had already mentioned they don't want to enter rewrite territory. This is about changing 2's names to match with the Japanese script. You can put your whining about "localizers" and "cringy" changes elsewhere. Because I really don't need to hear the concept of just changing names treated like it's the worst thing known to man or more weird talk about localizers. Especially for a separate game entirely.
But they did the same shit with names in xenoblade 3 so the efforts in this mod are just as necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been