Gaming xbox won't turn on cuz my monitor isn't on...

vjgbatemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 360 won't turn on cuz my monitor isn't on and monitor won't turn on cuz the xbox isn't on.

i turn on the monitor first. it says no input detected and goes to standby. the xbox start screen doesn't load untill it detects that it's connected to a display
frown.gif

what do i do?

setup:
the monitor i have is an acer p235h. with vga and dvi input. i've got the xbox hooked up to the dvi through an hdmi adapter.
i'm also using the proprietry xbox cable slashed in half so i can use an optical cable to get surround sound.

vjgbatemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've tried everything. here it is in detail:

i turn on the xbox first. then i push the monitor power button to take the monitor out of standby. the monitor searches for a dvi input (the xbox doesn't detect this fast enough) so the monitor moves on to search for a vga input, which obviously isn't connected to anything. by now the xbox has turned on... i can see the single green light and hear the load screen. but by now the monitor is back on standby so the xbox goes back to stand by.

if i tun the monitor on again the above process just repeats itself.
sad.gif
frown.gif

i tried unplugging the proprietry xbox cable and using only the dvi. no difference.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
This is how mine works. The Xbox works fine if the monitor is off. If I turn the monitor on while on "Auto" mode, Xbox will power on but no picture. It will only show something when I select HDMI mode. Sounds simple but it can be annoying at times. Like, I have to set the monitor manually to HDMI mode, and it will always restart the 360 when I do it. Also if I download something, turn the 360 off (going to Background Downlading mode), turn my monitor off and turn it on again, the 360 will turn on as well!

My monitor's a Dell SX2210. But setting things manually might help...

vjgbatemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried changing the monitor input manually. still no diff. the dvi detection flashed for a sec moves on to vga and turns off.

the xbox light is on at this time but it seems the monitor isn't picking it up anymore.

is there anyway to 'reset' my xbox display settings?

EIDT:

finally some progress. i used the hold down y and rt to reset the xbox. would reset with my monitor for some reason. had to connect it to another tv, reset it then bring it back to my monitor.
now when i am using only the dvi cable it works fine. but if i plug in the propietry cable too (to get audio) the dvi goes off and the proprietry takes over. is there a fix for this now?

vjgbatemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aaah FINALLY got it working. i have to first turn on the xbox, then the monitor. then turn on the monitor a second time and it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1